Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Do you agree or disagree that MBA is a Bad Investment?

You may select 1 option
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Top 5 Reasons an MBA is a Bad Investment [#permalink]
Great Post Alex - some very valid and practical points +1

I also find that many people who have just done undergraduate studies feel sort of incomplete without a graduate degree, but at the same time they are not keen to study further in their current field and then a business degree becomes an obvious choice as it allows them to have an option value to go across multiple industries / job profiles ad/or open avenues for their own ventures in the medium to long term.

AlexMBAApply wrote:
The article makes some good points, although I don't agree with everything the author mentioned.

First, b-school isn't really an investment, but more of a consumption good. It's not an investment like a buying a house where it appreciates in value, but more like buying a car where its value depreciates over time.

Most of you applicants are already making pretty good money - a lot of you are already at a pay grade that is comparable to what MBA grads make. Moreover, even if you did NOT get an MBA, over the medium to longer term you probably would've made good money anyhow.

To get a top MBA, you need to have had a successful pre-MBA career in the first place. And those who have already had a successful pre-MBA career probably have the potential to be just as successful (financially that is) without the degree. And this would apply to non-business folks like engineers -- if you're an engineer, you probably already make good money, and had you not gone to b-school you may not have ended up in banking/consulting, but you would've still ended up doing something in your career where you're probably making comparable money (because the thing is -- 80-90% of MBA grads stay in finance/consulting for only 2-3 years, and then either start their own biz or move into industry, and once they start families, they join the ranks of the suburban middle class or upper middle class). Again, it's not like over the long term you're going to be living in a completely different zip code just because you have an MBA.

So why do many folks do an MBA anyhow even if they know deep down they really don't "need" it from a financial perspective?

Because most applicants don't see the MBA as an "investment" - at least financially. It's not about the money.

Top reasons to go (which makes a lot of what the article irrelevant):

(1) Change careers: again, given that so many of you make great money already (and will continue to do so with or without an MBA), it's not like you're going back to school to make more money. You're going back to change industries or careers. It's not a money decision, but a matter of finding work that you feel is more meaningful or enjoyable. If you're an engineer, you're probably sick of the technical work, and want to do something different - like work in consulting or try Wall Street. Or you're a burnt out consultant or IB analyst who doesn't know what to do next, but is open to trying a new career (or just going back). Or a military officer who is getting out of the service. And so forth. And these decisions aren't driven by "I want to go into business because it pays more" but "I want to go into business because I think I might enjoy the work more." Having dealt with enough MBA applicants over the years, most if not all of the folks I've seen have no illusions about what to expect in the short-, medium or long-term: no one is going in expecting to be wealthy beyond belief, and that it's less about the money, and more about finding a career that is more enjoyable.

(2) Personal life: most people won't admit this, but there's something personal going on as well. For many MBA applicants, they are often spending most of their waking hours surrounded by people who are 10-30 years older. Compared to college, you're not really surrounded by people your own age. As such, it can feel like you're trying to be more "adult" than you really are - trying to interact with people in their 40s when you're just a few years removed from doing keg stands in college. On top of that, the hours can be long for many of you, and it can feel lonely at times socially. You work all day, or you travel everywhere, and when you do have free time, you realize that it's much harder to make new friends, and you've begun to grow apart from many of your college friends who have scattered across different cities around the country or world anyhow. A big draw of going back full-time is taking a break from this "adult world" where professionally you may fit in, but where socially you still feel a little out of place. You know going back will mean that you'll be surrounded by people your own age again where you get the chance to make a whole new set of friends. It's a chance to remind yourself that you're still young (no matter what your actual age is - 25, 34, etc) - that you're still full of potential and that a big part of your life is still a blank canvas waiting to be painted. It's no small wonder why no matter what the "ROI" or even whether someone is successful or not career wise -- few if any MBA alums especially from top schools ever regret going. This personal sentiment is stronger in some than others, but it lives in a lot of MBA applicants I believe - and why it may feel like it's worth the time and money regardless of what happens in your post-MBA career.

As for the points in the article:

#1 -- irrelevant, as I mentioned above; why does an MBA have to be seen purely in terms of ROI, when it's not being used for other degree programs? You go to law school not for "ROI" but because you want to be a lawyer. You go to med school because you want to be a doctor. You go to film school because you want to be a director or producer. You do an MBA because you want to be a business professional/executive. It's not about salary. It's about career choice.

#2 -- true, but this applies to ANY degree program. Talk to any engineer, and they will say that there's still a huge gulf between what they learned in their BS/MS/PhD vs. how the technical stuff is done in the real world. But that doesn't make the theory useless. Having said that, schools do need to continue to mix it up and keep the curricula relevant and practical. But there's always going to be some element of "theory" -- it's called SCHOOL after all, not a virtual reality simulation of the real world.

#3 -- true, which is why so many top b-schools emphasize team/leadership skills when it comes to evaluating applicants. Because whether they admit it or not -- you can't teach team/leadership ability any more than you can teach good parenting (but you can learn through real experience). However, you can teach analytical tools. That's why military officers tend to be far more coveted than math whiz PhDs/engineers in the admissions process - b-schools feel they can do a better job teaching an ex-Marine how to do accounting/finance, than it is to teach a PhD quant dude how to be a better team player.

Leadership can't be taught, but it can be learned.

#4 -- this certainly is true to some extent. The challenge for schools is trying to stay relevant and current, without falling into the trap of fads. But it's a harder thing to separate out what is truly a sea change, and what is just a passing fad. There isn't really some edict that schools can follow -- practically speaking, it's just a matter of "keep trying through trial and error". There is no one way to manage people, just as there is no one way to teach "management".

#5 -- this I don't agree. At least at a lot of the top schools, so much of the academics is centered around group-based work. You are *encouraged* to collaborate, a lot of them have grade non-disclosure, and so forth. In a way, the schools try and encourage cooperation more than competition -- as a way to mirror what it's like to work in the real world (which flies in the face of critics who lament "but they don't really learn management" -- maybe not in the course material itself, but students certainly learn how to be better team players in HOW they get their coursework done - in teams). Corporate ethics isn't really due to what MBAs are being taught, but part of a much larger problem that goes beyond just b-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Both sides provide good insight into the issue. I definitely find myself wondering whether an MBA is worth it or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Haha: RE: "Dilbertesque biz-blab"
Nice post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Great post from Alex +1
Thanks a lot, really add my perspective
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
whatever be the case never compare education to money.

"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere."
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
i think the presented facts are true to a certain extent but then again, this is a GMAT forum, and most people who take the GMAT are on their way to pursue an MBA, so I would say that poll is a bit biased.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Meh. An irresponsible editorial at best. Alex hits it on the head. How can someone lump us all into wannabe Gordon gekkos (from WS1, of course)? It's silly. I would like to see an editorial on the state of journalism, editorials, blogging, and American mass media.

Move along, nothing to see.

And yes, we may be partially bias... I'll have to follow up with you on that ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
woah, something worth a thought definitely!
GMAT Club Bot