It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

#Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18057 [2], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:48) correct 69% (02:07) wrong based on 431 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic mindedness. However, modern literature is distinguished from the literature of earlier eras in part because it more frequently treats such protagonists sympathetically. Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good. Thus, modern literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the critic's argument relies?

A. Some individuals in earlier eras were more concerned about contributing to societal good than is any modern individual.

B. It is to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good.

C. Some individuals must believe that their society is better than most before they can become concerned with benefiting it.

D. The aesthetic merit of some literary works cannot be judged in complete independence of their moral effects.

E. Modem literature is generally not as conducive to societal good as was the literature of earlier eras.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18057 [2], given: 1990

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 07:53
Confused but would choose ‘B’. Pls suggest if I am right.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Re: #Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 08:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:
Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic mindedness. However, modem literature is distinguished from the literature of earlier eras in part because it more frequently treats such protagonists sympathetically. Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good. Thus, modem literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the critic's argument relies?

A. Some individuals in earlier eras were more concerned about contributing to societal good than is any modem individual.

B. It is to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good.

C. Some individuals must believe that their society is better than most before they can become concerned with benefiting it.

D. The aesthetic merit of some literary works cannot be judged in complete independence of their moral effects.

E. Modem literature is generally not as conducive to societal good as was the literature of earlier eras.

Premise 1: Literature often presents Protagonists who work against the society
Premise 2: Modern Literature treats such protagonists sympathetically vs Older literature that didn't treat such characters sympathetically.
Conclusion: People whose attitude is to do good work and contribute to society ---> their attitude is harmed by such "sympathetic projection of characters" in modern literature

A. Some individuals in earlier eras were more concerned about contributing to societal good than is any modem individual. Some individuals were more concerned.... Whether people were concerned in earlier era or not does not tell us anything about how ML affects modern citizen's attitude towards doing good to society

B. It is to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good. If it were not advantageous i.e. Negating this statement: It is NOT to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good ---> ML doesn't play an exclusive role, and there may be other factors that contribute to this thought process not being advantageous. This must be false for the conclusion to hold. Hence B is a necessary condition required for the conclusion to be sufficient.

C. Some individuals must believe that their society is better than most before they can become concerned with benefiting it. Some (say from 1 to 100 (100 being max pop range)), believe that their society must be better...... Believing society is better or not doesn't portray how character assassination by a novel or sympathetic approach helps modify a person's attitude (in question) to do good.

D. The aesthetic merit of some literary works cannot be judged in complete independence of their moral effects. Aesthetic merit is not being judged here.

E. Modem literature is generally not as conducive to societal good as was the literature of earlier eras. Look at the word "generally". ML is generallyt not as conducive to societal good as..... meaning: it may or may not be conducive to SG ---> but in cases, where ML is conducive, what explains whether it affects the attitude or not.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 08:23
E.
Negating looks to break the argument.
Assumption->negate.
OA please

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 08:51
Conclusion- Thus, modem literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large
This attitude refers to unconcerned about contributing to societal good.

Hence if we replace the pronoun then conclusion is
Thus, modem literature can damage individuals who appropriate attitude of being unconcerned about contributing to societal good, as well as damage society at large

Now we can clearly see that "It is to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good" is the answer.
Negation - It is to the advantage of no individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good. This breaks the conclusion.

Happened to read that replacing pronoun with the noun it refers aids to better understanding.

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 10:22
Is it only my case that I go wrong in answering most of the souvenik questions(Of course they are tough) and then reanalyze after thinking for a long time and come with solutions later but never in the first place.
Of course all these are 700+ level qns but then what makes me feel sad is I'll rarely make it first time. :(
i know I'm acting immature by making a hue cry about this. :|

I eliminated choices A, B, C and D because all of them defined only some works or Some individuals, which I believe does not suffice.
I had a hard time in understanding this argument itself. Sorry to post like this.
Selected E.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 18:07
souvik101990 wrote:
Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic mindedness. However, modem literature is distinguished from the literature of earlier eras in part because it more frequently treats such protagonists sympathetically. Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good. Thus, modem literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large.

A. Some individuals in earlier eras were more concerned about contributing to societal good than is any modem individual.

Can Someone explain how option B is correct over E.

Does the negation of option E doesn't shatter the conclusion :(

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 472

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 03:36
This is an assumption question. The passage mentions that "one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good". "conducive" is promoting or making something possible. Hence it is not the same thing as being unconcerned. Also the negation test does not hold in this case.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1366

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 16:40
it I just remove A,C,E because of OFS and choose D.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 23:47
broall GMATNinja

can you elaborate on the OA on this one ? :/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 11:12
is this an official gmat question?
the question seems to lack of intelligible sense.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [1], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

kunalsinghNS wrote:
broall GMATNinja

chesstitans, this is an official LSAT question, so let's try to make some sense out of it! (I corrected the post by changing "modem" to "modern"!)

The conclusion is that "modern literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large." In this context, "appropriate" means "take" or "adopt". In other words, if an individual adopts the attitude that "one should be unconcerned about contributing to a societal good", this can harm both the individual and society at large. To recap the author's argument:

• Unlike earlier literature, modern literature is sympathetic towards protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic mindedness.
  • Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that, like the protagonists, one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good.
  • If an individual adopts that attitude, it can harm both the individual and society at large.

Now we need to find an assumption on which that argument depends. Choice (E) is tempting, but it is not an ASSUMPTION on which the argument depends. Rather, it is another conclusion that we could infer if we assume that the author's argument is valid.

Remember, the author says that modern literature makes individuals less concerned about societal good and concludes that modern literature is harmful to the individual. But what if being less concerned about societal good DOESN'T harm an individual? Sure, modern literature might make people less concerned with societal good, but if that doesn't harm the individual, then the author's argument falls apart. In other words, unless being concerned is somehow better than being unconcerned, the author's reasoning is not valid.

So choice (B) is a required assumption.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2033 [1], given: 462

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 16:31
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

kunalsinghNS wrote:
broall GMATNinja

chesstitans, this is an official LSAT question, so let's try to make some sense out of it! (I corrected the post by changing "modem" to "modern"!)

The conclusion is that "modern literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large." In this context, "appropriate" means "take" or "adopt". In other words, if an individual adopts the attitude that "one should be unconcerned about contributing to a societal good", this can harm both the individual and society at large. To recap the author's argument:

• Unlike earlier literature, modern literature is sympathetic towards protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic mindedness.
  • Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that, like the protagonists, one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good.
  • If an individual adopts that attitude, it can harm both the individual and society at large.

Now we need to find an assumption on which that argument depends. Choice (E) is tempting, but it is not an ASSUMPTION on which the argument depends. Rather, it is another conclusion that we could infer if we assume that the author's argument is valid.

Remember, the author says that modern literature makes individuals less concerned about societal good and concludes that modern literature is harmful to the individual. But what if being less concerned about societal good DOESN'T harm an individual? Sure, modern literature might make people less concerned with societal good, but if that doesn't harm the individual, then the author's argument falls apart. In other words, unless being concerned is somehow better than being unconcerned, the author's reasoning is not valid.

So choice (B) is a required assumption.

I understand the logic behind the argument after I read many official explanations from you, peers, other gmat experts, and from reliable sources. The problem of this question lies in the word; the question is really confusing.

Here is what I understand about the logic: the traditional literature tells nice things about individuals who do the good to the society, while the modern literature does not do the same much. Thus, the modern literature damages the society, and individuals who want to contribute the good to the society. => B: individuals really concern with contribute to the good to the society.

Re: #Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 16:31

#Top150 CR: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap