Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [36]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Two seismic shocks experienced in the United States of America in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In option C there is the issue of parallelism, the question statement is describing 2 events in the structure - first even-desciption about it, second event-description about it.
the non underlined part "global financial crisis, which raised questions about income inequality, job insecurity, and globalization" uses "which" , so the first event description should use the similar structure.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Re: Two seismic shocks experienced in the United States of America in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
penco wrote:
Gmatisking wrote:
Two seismic shocks experienced in the United States of America in the early 21st century affected the entire world in the subsequent years—the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis, which raised questions about income inequality, job insecurity, and globalization.

A. which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the
B. the long-drawn wars led in the eastern hemisphere, commencement of the collapse of Lehman Brothers, and the
C. leading to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the
D. led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere and commenced the collapse of Lehman Brothers and
E. which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the

Hey AndrewN,

Sorry for bothering you again,
I just have a slight doubt on the usage of led in option D.
What exactly is led doing here, is it a verb?
I think it is a verb but comma renders it unusable !
Can you confirm if i am right on this ?

Hello, penco. You have stumbled upon a little-known comma convention, and I see why you might be confused. To be clear, led is indeed a verb in (D). Typically, you do not place a comma between the subject and verb of a clause, but one exception arises when an exact date—month, day, year—falls between the two. That is what we see here:

The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere

For more on this topic, see this Grammarly article. Happy reading.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Can you please describe why option A can’t be the answer???

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
junii wrote:
Please explain what is the role of commencing in Option A/ is it verb or modifier how it is parallel to the sentence?

Hello, junii. I think my post above adequately explains that the commencing phrase is a modifier. For it to be a verb, we would expect something in the vein of is/was commencing (and we need not discuss its use as a noun in this particular sentence, since no verb follows the phrase). To spot parallel elements, it may help to remove the phrase in question for the time being and then drop it back in:

A) Two seismic shocks experienced in the United States of America in the early 21st century affected the entire world in the subsequent years—the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis, which raised questions about income inequality, job insecurity, and globalization.

Now, is it incorrect to have a modifying phrase attached to just one of two otherwise perfectly parallel elements (i.e. a noun followed by a relative clause)? No. Consider the second half as a standalone sentence. (I will mark the main clause in orange.)

Commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis, which raised questions about income inequality, job insecurity, and globalization, experienced in the United States of America in the early 21st century affected the entire world in the subsequent years.

If a modifying phrase can begin a sentence, then it can operate within a two-element parallel structure like the one we see above. Note that I stated in my earlier post that the sentence could be improved by adding a comma before the modifier, but as always, we have to go by what is on the screen.

I hope that helps clarify the matter. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Gmatisking wrote:
Two seismic shocks experienced in the United States of America in the early 21st century affected the entire world in the subsequent years—the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis, which raised questions about income inequality, job insecurity, and globalization.

A. which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the
B. the long-drawn wars led in the eastern hemisphere, commencement of the collapse of Lehman Brothers, and the
C. leading to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere and commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the
D. led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere and commenced the collapse of Lehman Brothers and
E. which led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere, commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the

Hey AndrewN,

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
penco wrote:
Gmatisking wrote:

Hey AndrewN,

Hello, penco. You have stumbled upon a little-known comma convention, and I see why you might be confused. To be clear, led is indeed a verb in (D). Typically, you do not place a comma between the subject and verb of a clause, but one exception arises when an exact date—month, day, year—falls between the two. That is what we see here:

The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, led to the long-drawn wars in the eastern hemisphere

For more on this topic, see this Grammarly article. Happy reading.

- Andrew

I really didn't know that and neither did I think of it.
Thanks a lot man !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Aashi127 wrote:
Can you please describe why option A can’t be the answer???

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, Aashi127 and others. In the interest of helping the community, I will provide a full analysis of the answer choices below.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 08.43.53.png

The key to this question, as often proves the case in tougher SC questions, is to focus on meaning. The first three words provide a frame: two seismic shocks. The rest of the sentence needs to deliver on this setup. Ask yourself, What are these two shocks? The first is easy enough: the terrorist attacks. We expect to encounter the second after and. Instead, we get commencing. But the beginning of a chain reaction may not be the same as the reaction in its entirety—our second shock—and that proves to be the case here. The second seismic shock is the global financial crisis, and we understand the commencing phrase to be modifying that crisis: the collapse of Lehman Brothers in some way led to the global financial crisis.

Choice (A) contains parallel which clauses that correctly reach back to the subject before the comma, the terrorist attacks and the global financial crisis, respectively. About the only questionable aspect of the original sentence is the lack of a comma after and. The barebones version of our sentence would be the following:

Two seismic shocks affected the entire world—the terrorist attacks and, commencing with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis.

The comma would make it clear that the commencing phrase was NOT the second seismic shock, and clarity of meaning is always a plus. This peccadillo aside, I see nothing to gripe about in (A).

(B) loses sight of the dual seismic shocks and opts for a list instead, a list that contains, well, more than two items: terrorist attacks, long-drawn wars, commencement of the collapse of Lehman Brothers, and, finally, the global financial crisis. The sentence breaks down altogether, and the answer ought to be easy to eliminate.

(C) appears to create a parallel consequence of the terrorist attacks by way of the phrase modifier. Apparently, the attacks both led to wars and started with the collapse of Lehman Brothers. That makes no sense. Furthermore, with the and already taken, we have no grammatical way to join our two seismic shocks with what remains. We get the terrorist attacks, [modifier], the global financial crisis. We do not even need to consider whether leading to on its own is justifiable. The pieces together do not fit.

(D) creates the opposite of what we just saw, a run-on sentence with multiple instances of and without a comma. Now, the terrorist attacks led to wars, commenced the collapse of Lehman Brothers, and which raised questions. Hmm... something is definitely off. The first which has been deleted, so why does the second remain? And where is our second seismic shock? The sentence is not at all clear and should be another easy elimination.

(E) also lacks the vital and to join the two seismic shocks. The sentence places one right after the other in an unclear manner. Also, the modifying phrase appears to be reaching back to the long-drawn wars of the previous clause, and I am pretty sure the sentence does not mean to convey that the wars started with the collapse of a business. (E), then, is gone.

There you have it. Of the five answer choices, only the original sentence can work. I hope this analysis may prove useful to others. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Please explain what is the role of commencing in Option A/ is it verb or modifier how it is parallel to the sentence?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think there is a flaw in option A: there should be a comma before commencing, otherwise the modifier is unclear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Please provide proper explanation for rejecting each choice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts