It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17632 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 08:15
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (00:54) correct 68% (01:18) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would western retail-food sector do.

A. as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would western retail-food sector do.
B. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would retail-food sector in the west.
C. as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as retail-food sector in the west does.
D. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as retail-food sector of the west.
E. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail-food sector of the west.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17632 [1], given: 1986

Re V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would western retail-food sector do.

A. as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would western retail-food sector do.
B. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as would retail-food sector in the west.
C. as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as retail-food sector in the west does.
D. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as retail-food sector of the west.
E. such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail-food sector of the west.

It is intended to compare the two prepositional phrases in no other industry and in retail food-sector of the west. With a second verb (would do or does), the parallelism is violated and a wrong comparison between firms (subject of the first verb would) and retail-food sector (subject of the second verb) is introduced. An example (that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry) should be introduced by such as, not as.
(A) Comparison between firms and retail-food sector. Example introduced by as.

(B) Comparison between firms and retail-food sector.

(C) Comparison between firms and retail-food sector. Example introduced by as.

(D) Comparison between a prepositional phrase (in no other industry) and a noun phrase (retail food sector)

(E) Correct.Fixes all errors – compares two prepositional phrases correctly and introduces example with such as.

Let us first consider the sentence without introducing an example. The comparison is shown in green font.

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as (firms) in retail-food sector of the west (would resort to).

Omitting the repeated words in the second part of the comparison, the sentence becomes:

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as in retail-food sector of the west.

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17632 [1], given: 1986

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 431 [1], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
repeating the such as after such without as is what made me pick the wrong answer...very very tricky one!!!

Kudos [?]: 431 [1], given: 200

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. This question is not clear to me. The answer provided is not what is written in the question. The correct sentence should be: In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail food sector of the west"?

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 02:44
atreyu79 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. This question is not clear to me. The answer provided is not what is written in the question. The correct sentence should be: In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail food sector of the west"?

Hi atreyu79

Thanks for the feedback.

You said "the answer provided is not what is written in the question". Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

Also: note that it is never about what the best sentence should be, but what is the best among the given answer choices.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 04:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Souvik

Thank you for the reply. Based on your explanation the correct choice is:

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail-food sector of the west.

This choice repeats such as twice and it is not clear to me.

Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 14:03
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3508 [7], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kamandr wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

atreyu79 wrote:
Hi Souvik

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry as in retail-food sector of the west.

Thanks

kamandr Let me try to explain.

First consider the following sentence:

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as (firms) in retail-food sector of the west (would resort to).

The green font portion is compared to blue font portion using such..... as.

The parallelism marker is : such.... as

The parallel elements are:

1. Firms in no other industry would resort to (words rearranged for easy understanding).
2. (firms) in retail-food sector of the west (would resort to)

Omitting the repeated words in the second part of the comparison, the sentence becomes:

In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as in retail-food sector of the west.

Now introduce an example of an idiosyncratic idea using such as (the example is in orange font):

atreyu79 There are 2 such as constructions in the sentence:
1. such.... as.. is used to compare activities in 2 industries.
2. such as is used to introduce an example of an idiosyncratic idea.

Is the above explanation clear?

Kudos [?]: 3508 [7], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Schools: Molson '19
GMAT Date: 12-06-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 09:29
this is a good and tricky question.. very well explained too !! thanks

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.67
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 10:29
souvik101990 wrote:
Also: note that it is never about what the best sentence should be, but what is the best among the given answer choices.

This is a subtle, but very powerful point; thanks for sharing. Using 'in retail-food sector' and not 'in the retail-food sector' threw me off.

2 comparisons, both using 'such as', in one sentence is some next level stuff right there!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Re V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 12:33
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. very nice question

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Bocconi '19

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 07:00
Yes, this question can be very tricky. But GMAT test makers would consider the "right" sentence E too wordy and thus it would never be a right sentence in the true GMAT.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3508 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 11:59
jlmachado wrote:
Yes, this question can be very tricky. But GMAT test makers would consider the "right" sentence E too wordy and thus it would never be a right sentence in the true GMAT.

An official question exists that tests a similar parallelism issue:

in-no-other-historical-sighting-did-halleys-comet-cause-such-24215.html#p157102

This question is made a bit more complex by adding an example of an idiosyncratic idea.

Wordiness implies that there is a more concise way to express the same meaning. If you can think of a shorter way of expressing the same idea with all the contents in a sentence, we would be happy to discuss this issue further.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Re V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 08:37
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 01:30
msdianer wrote:

\
Please let us know specifically which part of the explanation you do not agree with, so that we may discuss further.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 12:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
kamandr wrote:

atreyu79 wrote:
Hi Souvik

Thanks

1. Firms in no other industry would resort to (words rearranged for easy understanding).

Now introduce an example of an idiosyncratic idea using such as (the example is in orange font):

Great explanation. I have always thought that the " such.. as" construction is used for introducing examples.Could you please give any other example in which "such as" is used as a parallelism marker? Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V11-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 03:11
Swethas9 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
kamandr wrote:

atreyu79 wrote:
Hi Souvik

Thanks

Th

Great explanation. I have always thought that the " such.. as" construction is used for introducing examples.Could you please give any other example in which "such as" is used as a parallelism marker? Thanks in advance!

This is an official question ("such... as.." used for comparison) :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-no-other- ... 24215.html

The author of the subject question followed the same structure, but he added another "such as" (introducing example: "such as that it is good to milk their best suppliers dry") in order to make the question even more difficult.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 37

WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 23:16
sayantanc2k wrote:
kamandr wrote:

atreyu79 wrote:
Hi Souvik

Thanks

Hi,

Indeed was a tricky question. Got played by ..'such as' followed by 'such'. However one more reason that made me spend time on this was the example part.
SUCH AS "That it is good to....". Why did we have both "That and It". Couldn't it be "such as it is good to ..".

Best-
Amit

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 08:12
It was indeed a very tricky question, though I could figure out the usage of 'such as' but couldn't figure out that the comparison was between both the prepositional phrases.

Can you just let me know the source of these question?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 16:54

In the original sentence "In no other industry would firms resort to such an idiosyncratic idea as..." the remainder of the sentence is not serving as an example. It's the only case.

"Such as" should be used for examples only.

If the sentence had been written "In no other industry would firms resort to such idiosyncratic ideas..." (plural), then "such as" would make sense.

But it's not an example. It is a single idea. Therefore, "as that" must be used, in my opinion.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: V11-03   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 16:54

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

V11-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap