It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-26

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17073 [1], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:48) correct 66% (01:35) wrong based on 53 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers claim that analogical thinking causes scientific discoveries. They used the works of famous scientists in an attempt to prove that analogy brings about creativity and thereby changes in knowledge. They argued that distant analogies those scientists used could develop a new framework in a certain domain or even form a new domain - the more distant the analogies, the more creative the outcomes.
Which of the following statements, if true, would best support the last claim made by the researchers?

A. Analogy items are frequently used in IQ tests to measure analytical ability of a person.
B. Researchers noted low correlation between creativity and intelligence scores, which are generally derived from tests that have many analogy questions.
C. Inflexible thinking is fixed on a single plane, whereas creative thinking operates on multiple planes, creating “analogy bridges” among various planes.
D. Local analogies could be used to fill in a framework in a rather well agreed-on field.
E. People who do not think analogically sometimes come up with creative ideas.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17073 [1], given: 1963

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17073 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 10:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Researchers claim that analogical thinking causes scientific discoveries. They used the works of famous scientists in an attempt to prove that analogy brings about creativity and thereby changes in knowledge. They argued that distant analogies those scientists used could develop a new framework in a certain domain or even form a new domain - the more distant the analogies, the more creative the outcomes.
Which of the following statements, if true, would best support the last claim made by the researchers?

A. Analogy items are frequently used in IQ tests to measure analytical ability of a person.
B. Researchers noted low correlation between creativity and intelligence scores, which are generally derived from tests that have many analogy questions.
C. Inflexible thinking is fixed on a single plane, whereas creative thinking operates on multiple planes, creating “analogy bridges” among various planes.
D. Local analogies could be used to fill in a framework in a rather well agreed-on field.
E. People who do not think analogically sometimes come up with creative ideas.

A. The claim is that there is a positive correlation between analogies and creative outcomes. This option establishes a correlation between analytical ability and analogy.

B. This option establishes that creativity is not correlated with intelligence scores and intelligence scores are correlated with analogy. Therefore this option implies that creativity is not correlated analogy, weakening the final claim rather than supporting it.

C. Creative thinking entails analogy that bridges the gap between the different planes. However this option does not establish whether higher distance between the planes, i.e. more distant analogies, results in more creative outcomes.

D. Correct. This option establishes that local (closer) analogy results in less creative outcomes. This statement supports the final claim supporting a relation between analogy and creativity.

E. This statement actually establishes a negative correlation between analogy and creativity, thereby weakening the final claim.

Answer: D

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17073 [0], given: 1963

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 09:20
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3321 [3], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
srishtigrover wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

The claim made by the researchers is:

"the more distant the analogies, the more creative the outcomes. "

i.e. the analogy distance (distance between what the scientists oberved and what they deduced) is proportional to the creativity of the scientists. i.e.,

Analogy distance ∞ creativity

=> high analogy distance (distant analogies) means high creativity (new framework in a certain domain or even form a new domain)...... (1)
=> low analogy distance (local analogies) means low creativity (framework in a rather well agreed-on field) ......... (2)

Statement (1) has already been given in the passage: "distant analogies those scientists used could develop a new framework in a certain domain or even form a new domain."

However there is no mention of statement (2) in the passage. Option D is the statement (2) re-worded.

Hence D is the correct answer.

If you find the above difficult to understand, consider the following simpler example and then draw an analogy yourself:

Suppose, I claim that higher the number of study-hours, better is the exam score.

I have observed that people who studies for high number of hours have high scores.

However I have not observed that people who study less number of hours does not have high score. Thus, if it is established that people who study less number of hours does not have high score , my conclusion would be stronger.

Do you see the reasoning now?

Kudos [?]: 3321 [3], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 15:55
Thank you. This sounds better than the given explanation

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

CAT Tests
Re: V11-26 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 19:43
This is a high quality question.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

Re: V11-26   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 19:43

V11-26

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap