Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [2]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: V21-34 [#permalink]
ajr1994 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Nothing indicates that a majority or even any of the Senior Citizens live at home and not senior centers. Why is this the answer?

Here the reason we are looking for is to find a way by which the plan to minimize the number of serious complications will surely fail, so basically it is a Flaw in the reasoning question.

Plan is to vaccinate below 12 and above 80 first. Now in what circumstances will the plan fail, if the above 80 category don't show up for vaccinations.

Therefore Option C is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
Send PM
I dont understand why opt D is better then Opt c. Would be great if someone could elobarate more on it. the explanation is very confusing.

OPT C Says: Of the patients who developed serious complications after contracting the influenza virus during the past decade, nearly ten percent had been vaccinated for the virus

although all children below 12 yrs and elders above 80 yrs are vaccinated , there are patients who have already contracted influenza virus but 90% of them are still not vaccinated.
Governors plan will fail when these 90% of people ( who maynot lie in the age group specified) develop complications due to the virus .

This choice weakens the statement and is better choice than D in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I have a few questions regarding the OA.
Even though the majority of senior citizens cannot be diagnosed as they can not move from their home, we cannot say that this reason is enough to weaken the conclusion. Because the choice D does not give any info about the children less than 8yrs of age. If say 50% of those children had been diagnosed successfully then the plan should have been considered successful as the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections would have decreased.

For Eg: There are 100 senior citizens and 100 children less than 8yrs of age.
Total serious case - 200.

Majority of senior citizen - let us consider 90%. i.e, not diagnosed - 90. Diagnosed - 10
Children - No info abt them in choice D. But let us consider 50% of them got diagnosed. i.e, 50
Total serious case after vaccination = 200-60 = 140<200. Therefore the plan has minimized the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections

So, choice D is the best possible answer choice even though it leaves many questions unanswered.
I personally feel that this question is not of GMAT standard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
D. The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient.

Answer D has flaw

When it says the majority of elderlies who stay at home, can not commute, that does not refer to the majority of the elderlies in the state. Majority (99%) of those elderlies who stay at home (2% of the entire population stays at home) is only 1.98% !! Do you agree with me ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Kudos
simonnguyen wrote:
D. The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient.

Answer D has flaw

When it says the majority of elderlies who stay at home, can not commute, that does not refer to the majority of the elderlies in the state. Majority (99%) of those elderlies who stay at home (2% of the entire population stays at home) is only 1.98% !! Do you agree with me ?

I completely agree with you.

Say only 10 people over 80 stay at home. Majority of them will only be >5. What if the rest of elderly population lives at nursing homes and other places where it is easy to get vaccinated ? (and say they amount to 100,000).

I would edit the question a little bit :thumbsup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
The question asks about minimizing the number of serious complications. So, a weaken question. Even if we consider D, the number of cases will still reduce because children will get vaccinated. I think this question has gaps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The answer provided is not clear as to why D is a better answer than B.
B says "most" of the children and old adults who were vaccinated last year, assumedly because they are similarly at risk as this year, won't be able to be vaccinated under the govenors plan.
D says that "the majority" and old adults won't be able to get the vaccine.
The answer explanation uses the word "some" when the actual answer uses "most". Huge doubts on this, granted I was between B and D.

I'm not sure how the answer is determining that "most", which is largely synonymous with "majority", of TWO groups of people is somehow a worse answer the "the majority", "or most", of only one of the groups.
Nevermind the fact that, in reality, children are often vaccinated as a first priority for flu simply because of how transmissible it is between children who often get their parents sick.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts