Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [5]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Verbal score stuck [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi navjot177,

Before we discuss the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each of your Official GMATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Verbal score stuck [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Navjot, your performance in the second quarter of Verbal, played a major role in your eventual low score.

Also, it is clear that you had time management issues towards the end of the exam. Your average time per CR question (1:32) is lower than what we have normally seen for other candidates (approx 2:00). That might have played a role in your lowest percentile in CR.

How have you been preparing for Verbal?

Since you are planning to re-appear in a short duration of 20 days, at this point, I would not suggest any fundamental change in strategy; you might just want to work on arriving at a more optimum time-management for the next attempt.

p.s. Your improvement from Q41 to Q50 is just phenomenal. Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Gmat journey has been really painful for me. Being a asian, i always faced difficulties in verbal. I have given 7 gmat attempts. Yes 7.
Now i think i will never be able to achieve 700. Though i was really close this time,a verbal 34 would have made it. But it was not my destiny.
I did a lot of hardwork to convert my quant from 41 to 50 ,but verbal killed all my dreams. I truly believe that i have mastered the wrong approach in verbal.
Having said that, i will give a last attempt as well. Because 8 is the maximum that i can give.

Probably i will hire a verbal tutor and will try my best to maintain my quant score and probably get more than 35 on verbal.

If any experts would like to give me a advice on how to kill gmat on my last attempt,it would be really greatfull. A 2 month verbal guide.

Probably, now i will give gmat after 2 months.

Lets hope i can maintain 50 on quant and get 35+ on verbal.
Fingers crossed :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi navjot177.

When a person's verbal score is "stuck," generally the issue is that the person is not training for verbal optimally.

Each level of verbal score indicates a level of sophistication of verbal thinking. So, to make your verbal score increase, you have to increase the level of sophistication of the thinking that you are applying when answering GMAT verbal questions.

For example, one can score in the upper 20's to low 30's in verbal by using some simple strategies, such as looking for grammar issues in Sentence Correction answer choices and eliminating extreme or seemingly irrelevant choices in Critical Reasoning questions. At the same time. there is no way to consistently get verbal questions correct by using such strategies. Questions above a certain difficulty level become too sophisticated for such strategies to work. Sentence Correction questions can have multiple choices that are basically grammatically flawless. More difficult Critical Reasoning questions have correct answers that may seem unrelated to the arguments presented. Reading comprehension questions have multiple answers that are very similar and seem to match what the passage says.

So, you won't get higher-level verbal questions correct by training to use basic strategies. You have to learn to use more sophisticated approaches.

Thanks for your guidance and time. :) I think i have mastered the wrong approach in verbal ,otherwise i wold have got atleast 35

So, to drive your verbal score higher, you need to slow way down when practicing and learn to see more clearly what's going on in the questions. In order to train to see what's going on in questions, you have to carefully analyze questions and seek to CLEARLY AND THOROUGHLY DEFINE why every wrong choices are wrong and every correct answer is correct. You could use for this purpose even questions that you have already seen, because you won't be merely seeking to determine which answers are correct. You will be carefully analyzing each choice to determine what exactly about that choice makes it correct or incorrect.

Do you see why doing this type of work will drive your score up?

By training to clearly see the logic that makes each wrong answer wrong and each correct answer correct, you won't be at the mercy of GMAT verbal, seeking to use gimmicky, basic strategies to find correct answers. You will become a master of GMAT verbal who sees exactly what's going, avoids trap answers, and uses sophisticated thinking to consistently arrive at correct answers.

At first, it may take twenty minutes per question to do this type of analysis. You'll speed up though. If you can see what's going on in twenty minutes per question, you can learn to see it faster.

It can take a lot of work to move the needle in GMAT verbal. You won't increase your score much by using half measures. At the same time, if you carefully and thoroughly analyze every choice in dozens of verbal questions day after day, learning to get close to 100% of verbal questions correct in practice, you can drive your verbal score as high as you want.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi navjot177,

From your original post, it was not clear that you had taken the GMAT 7 times already. You seem to understand that this next attempt will be your last attempt, so you should not 'rush in' to retest. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'd like to know more about your prior studies and Official attempts. If you would rather discuss that privately though, you can feel free to PM or email me directly.

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each of your Official GMATs and how did you score on EACH attempt (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
navjot177 wrote:
Thanks for your guidance and time. :) I think i have mastered the wrong approach in verbal ,otherwise i wold have got atleast 35

Sure thing.

I agree.

Now, make it happen.

I will definitely ping you within 2 months after i will get above 700 on my last (8th attempt).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Hi , can you please tell us how did you improve your quant score? I have given given GMAT twice and got 36 in quant both times.
Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts