Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Well, someone had to pay - 770 (Q51, V44) [#permalink]
jumsumtak wrote:
abcgroove wrote:
Excellent insights.. Congrats on your score..

thank you!

mansi123 wrote:
congrats for the amazing score.. very informative debrief...

thank you mansi.

Sachin9 wrote:
Hi..
Congrats maan! :)
Since a watch is not allowed, how do we keep track of time during the breaks?
Heard Gatorade is good to replenish glucose in the brain.. whats your take on it..
You a native or a non native? .. 44 in Verbal :shock:

thank you for the wishes. I'm a non native.
There is going to be a digital wall clock at your test center. You may use that to track time.
Hmm.. I can't comment on that. I know what it does, but I hadn't used it in my practice tests - and I did just fine. Make sure you have some liquid. It definitely does not hurt (unless, you gulp down a bottle).

Thanks for responding..

You have a 51 in Q :shock:
Did you solve gmat prep questions as a part of your preparation ? or only the OG questions?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
Did you solve gmat prep questions as a part of your preparation ? or only the OG questions?

Well, I was pretty comfortable with GMAT quant. I've gone a lot deeper and have taught higher mathematics for sometime as well.

Anyhow, you need to be thorough with OG quant. I won't say it will prepare you for a Q51 (it might), but it will lay down the foundations and that is very important. GMAT prep questions are as important as OG ques. Apart from these, practice from quant question pack. All of these are official questions and you should be thorough/comfortable with them.

As far as Q51 is concerned, I believe that achieving it will require a bit more practice. Study from the GC forum and do as many questions as possible. Use tags to sift through topics and difficulty level. Do questions in Bunuel's signature. Practice 15-20 ques. at a stretch (according to the difficulty level) and learn new things as you take on new questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Hands down one of the best debriefs I've read. CONGRATS AND THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

Well, I was pretty comfortable with GMAT quant. I've gone a lot deeper and have taught higher mathematics for sometime as well.

Anyhow, you need to be thorough with OG quant. I won't say it will prepare you for a Q51 (it might), but it will lay down the foundations and that is very important. GMAT prep questions are as important as OG ques. Apart from these, practice from quant question pack. All of these are official questions and you should be thorough/comfortable with them.

As far as Q51 is concerned, I believe that achieving it will require a bit more practice. Study from the GC forum and do as many questions as possible. Use tags to sift through topics and difficulty level. Do questions in Bunuel's signature. Practice 15-20 ques. at a stretch (according to the difficulty level) and learn new things as you take on new questions.

Thanks mate.. I have been solving GMAT Prep Qs and they do make me agile..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Jum,

Wonderful insights! Very Informative post!

What did you do differently to go from 35V to 44V? That much of a jump is purely amazing. I am in the same boat and hoping to do the same, but could not really put down my strategy together. Do you mind giving us some ideas about what really helped you (study methodology, approach to question, study materials, G-day experience, timing strategy etc. etc.) to improve that much?

Thanks
BC
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
bellcurve wrote:
Jum,

Wonderful insights! Very Informative post!

What did you do differently to go from 35V to 44V? That much of a jump is purely amazing. I am in the same boat and hoping to do the same, but could not really put down my strategy together. Do you mind giving us some ideas about what really helped you (study methodology, approach to question, study materials, G-day experience, timing strategy etc. etc.) to improve that much?

Thanks
BC

Frankly, I think I screwed my verbal on the first attempt. I was a good 3-4 points short of my average verbal score during practice CATs.

Looking back on each section:

SC: from good to really good.

This is the most mechanical part of the verbal section and hence, I feel, is the most easy to improve.
The best trick is to use the black & white tests first - use SV agreement, modifiers, pronoun agreement, tenses, verb etc. - things that make the sentence either correct or incorrect. These are easy to pick up and the best way to eliminate sentences.
Then come to parallelism, active/passive (if required) - things that may or may not render the sentence incorrect. (You will see correct sentences that are passive or not 100% parallel). Having said that, parallelism is the single most important concept that you should be able to master. I do not recall now whether I had a very strong hold of the topic when I first wrote my exam, but, during the second time I was pretty comfortable with it - obviously, I had made so many mistakes during my practice sessions that I spent a lot of extra time on my 'special needs'.

After solving tons of problems, I was able to pick up GMAT-esque language and that helped me a LOT.

RC:
I just wish this were not there in the test. Though I have a pretty good accuracy on them, I hate RCs. SC and CR are a lot like puzzles; RC, on the other hand, is just that - RC.
I knew I failed on my RCs and CRs the last time, still, I wasn't able to give a lot of time to RCs. I inadvertently found myself practicing CRs and SCs.
I've listed a few strategies that I used in the third post of this thread. You may try those out if you find them useful.

Also, my two tests were a year apart. During that time I spent a LOT of time reading stuff on the net. I can't say if that helped or not!

CR:
During my first test, I was bamboozled by a lot of CRs. I practiced a lot of them for my second attempt. I've written this earlier as well - number of CR ques. practiced and the score you get, probably have the highest co-relation among all other ques. types (caveat: my theory! ). Once you do tons of questions you recognize the pattern of correct answers. 2-3 are almost always irrelevant; I always found myself fighting between the final two options.

I also revisited my mistakes/logs periodically - to note where I was making a mistake. At the end of it, I had almost memorized my error log - that is how many times I had to go over it (and no, I did not make few mistakes).

During my first test my CRs and RCs were bad because I wasn't able to concentrate on the text. In hindsight, it was absolutely rubbish prep at my end. Why would anyone not take tests with AWA/IR and simulate the real test conditions while practicing is beyond my understanding. I improved that and my concn. levels and stamina was intact the second time. Though I was worked up during verbal in patches, it was far better than the first time, where I was just staring at my computer screen and wasn't able to comprehend text.

In a nut shell, practice and review. A lot.

hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congratulations mate n woho.,what a debrief.
Have Banana + Gatorade + 1/2 Snickers from my pocket and please suggest me the book,except OG, i should go for in order to build in-depth knowledge of the quant section.
Hope you are having a good time at your school.
Please reply ASAP.
VP
VP
Send PM
viki00762 wrote:
Congratulations mate n woho.,what a debrief.
Have Banana + Gatorade + 1/2 Snickers from my pocket and please suggest me the book,except OG, i should go for in order to build in-depth knowledge of the quant section.
Hope you are having a good time at your school.
Please reply ASAP.

I think I've answered all I knew about quant material through my debrief and my reply to Sachin (a few posts above yours). If you are starting from scratch, MGMAT guides, OGs and GC math book can be a good combination.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: UCLA Anderson - Class of 2015
Send PM
Congrats! it is really very inspiring)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Congratulations.

Excellent debrief, thank you.

Good luck with your apps!
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
alena0802 wrote:
Congrats! it is really very inspiring)

Thank you. Congratulations on the wonderful season and have a great 2 years in California :)

Sandtiger wrote:
Congratulations.

Excellent debrief, thank you.

Good luck with your apps!

Thank you for the wishes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
really interesting debrief :) I loved the coach analogy!! :D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Have you self-made the postman-new in town-audit story ? Can you provide any reference, sounds like a good lesson.
VP
VP
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Have you self-made the postman-new in town-audit story ? Can you provide any reference, sounds like a good lesson.

Sorry, don't have one. That's one of the few things I remember from a (brilliant) prof. I had. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
Send PM
Kudos
What an amazing write-up. Brilliant!!!

Specially the snippets from Coach Vince and Garry. Have bookmarked it to help me with my preparation. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Send PM
Really enjoy this sharing, especially the motivation part. Btw, I also love Coach Flowers :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts