It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 00:11
Literally the sections I thought I did well on, I ended up doing horrible; and the section I thought I did poor on, I actually ended up doing well.

IR - normally score in the 80% percentile here, thought it was much easier than mocks. One I didn't know, and one I was semi confident about, the others I thought I knew, but ended up with a "3" 27th percentile on the actual test

Verbal - usually score V34-35 on mocks. Thought the first 20 were easy-medium, didn’t think any of the SC or CR was hard, but the last RC was brutal...ended up V40 (89th percentile).

Quant - scored Q50 on all four practice tests I took, ended up with a Q36 (47th percentile) on the actual exam...and for the life of me, I can't even guess why.....

(1) I will admit the questions I received were really easy. There were very few, if any 700 level questions. Literally question ~20 was a single addition/subtraction problem with four single digit numbers each inside of absolute value signs and question ~30 asked me to find the median in a set of numbers
(2) I did miss 2-3 problems in each practice test for being careless and not answering what the question asked for. For example, finding the radius when it asked for the diameter, or reading over the question stem that states x can only be an integer, etc.
(3) I was on problem #35 with about 22 minutes left... Normally I get done in time, or a few minutes before time, on mocks. I didn't rush through the test though, this might just be because I didn’t see many 700 level questions, thus I didn’t require much time.
(4) With so much time left, I obviously took my time when I got to #35, and #35 was a easy problem but had a trap (asked for the biggest range, not largest number), #36 was another one of these that you use the radius to solve the problem but the question asked for the diameter in the answer, #37 was a mean/median if you didn't pay attention to, you'd solve for the mean instead of median. I didn't fall into these traps here, but if I started taking my time on #35, and #35, 36, and 37 had these easy questions that you had to pay attention to what they were asking for, or you'd get it wrong....was the whole test like this?

As I was saying, I was doing well in practice, averaged ~Q50, so it's not like I missed a lot, but I would miss 2-3 each test for not reading the question correctly or not answering what the question was looking for. I am still puzzled with the Q37.
I probably missed #2 on the actual test (600-700 level exponent question) that I couldn’t figure out. Assuming I missed that and fell into these trap questions where I'm not answering the question early… to where I missed 3 out of the first 7 or 10 questions, do you think the computer already tossed out all 700 level questions for me?

I am really trying to figure out what went wrong.

I am not sure if I just had a bad test and I should reschedule asap, or if I really need to work on quant (I did the GMAT Club tests early in my prep and got a Q49-50 on many of them, and only missed about ~15 questions out of the several hundred in the official guide)

I will admit I didn’t get much sleep the night before. And believe it or not, there was an Amber Alert at 6AM (that loud obnoxious sound) that woke me up. But, I don’t think either bothered me, I felt focused during the entire exam
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 14:50
Hi jasonfodor,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Getting a few questions wrong would NOT be enough to turn a Q50 into a Q36 though, so you would have made lots of little mistakes on Test Day. A poor night's sleep would almost certainly impact most Test Takers - and finishing the Quant section so early means that you 'rushed' through lots of questions (and likely missed little details, did work "in your head", etc.) and lost points. Before we attribute that drop in score to just those two factors though, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 12:19
jasonfodor wrote:
(1) I will admit the questions I received were really easy. There were very few, if any 700 level questions. Literally question ~20 was a single addition/subtraction problem with four single digit numbers each inside of absolute value signs and question ~30 asked me to find the median in a set of numbers
(2) I did miss 2-3 problems in each practice test for being careless and not answering what the question asked for. For example, finding the radius when it asked for the diameter, or reading over the question stem that states x can only be an integer, etc.

As I was saying, I was doing well in practice, averaged ~Q50, so it's not like I missed a lot, but I would miss 2-3 each test for not reading the question correctly or not answering what the question was looking for. I am still puzzled with the Q37.
I probably missed #2 on the actual test (600-700 level exponent question) that I couldn’t figure out. Assuming I missed that and fell into these trap questions where I'm not answering the question early… to where I missed 3 out of the first 7 or 10 questions, do you think the computer already tossed out all 700 level questions for me?

Sorry to hear that you had a rough time on test day! It sounds like you've already identified the problem here, though. If you miss easy questions early in the section, you'll see more easy questions... and then your margin of error vanishes. If you're scoring in the 50Q range on your practice tests, then the issue isn't how well you know math: it's execution.

As a general rule of thumb, I think test-takers seem to make about twice as many careless errors on their actual exam as they do on practice tests in the comfort of their homes. That seems about right in your case: if you were making 2-3 on each quant practice test, you probably made 4-6 careless errors on the real thing... and on an adaptive test, 4-6 avoidable errors on easy questions is enough to make the wheels completely fall off. If you decide to purchase the ESR, I can promise that it'll back me on this: you'll see lots of errors on easy-to-medium stuff, particularly toward the beginning of the section.

It's totally not sexy, but the best way to improve on this is to focus 100% of your energy on making sure that you're religiously re-reading questions and re-checking your work to avoid those careless errors. As you practice, don't tolerate those errors at all. It's easy to say, "well, that was a brainfart, but I knew the math, so it's all good" when you practice. But on an adaptive test, the opposite is true: the brainfarts are the real killers.

I hope this helps! And congrats on the 40V! Come see us in the verbal forum if we can help you at all on that side of things.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Re: went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ??   [#permalink] 23 May 2017, 12:19

went from Q50 in practice to a Q36 on actual test, why ??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap