Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [11]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [7]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [27]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
What's the best way to improve SC accuracy [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Agreeing with what u1983 has posted, I would want to add some pointers based on my personal experience.

1) The first thing that comes to my mind for mastering SC in verbal is hands-down e-gmat SC course, You can opt for e-gmat verbal course or go through below free resources mainly for SC.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-s-all ... 44985.html
P.S. It is not any paid advertisement from my side, the course is indeed very helpful :lol:

2) Always go for the meaning of the sentence, remember - meaning over any other rules. Do read the sentence completely till the end, many of the times there is one keyword at the end-non-underlined part that completely changes meaning of the sentence( Damn you GMAC, you ain't giving me that point so easy :P ). We have this habit of going for an option which looks/ sounds good but take a pause and try to infer what the intended meaning is before hitting the submit button.

3) Go through Ron Purewal's videos(must if you are aiming to score high in SC) mentioned in below link:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 2A63933A42

4) Try revising SC flashcards, you can prepare them on your own or just download one that is floating on the GC already, and trust me there are plenty useful ones.
Personally I found the below mentioned flashcard the best, Thank you slingfox :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/slingfox-s-g ... 96483.html

5) Follow some verbal legends here on GC, go through the ways they tackle SC questions and I guess that should be it.
If you follow the aforementioned pointers, you would be the next GMAT SC Spartan. ;)

Happy learning! :thumbup:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: What's the best way to improve SC accuracy [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Larbi wrote:
But the funny thing is, I was pretty sure of my answers on SC questions that I got wrong.

Several super-smart people have already loaded you up with good advice, so I'll keep this short.

If you thought that you did much better on SC than you actually did, I can pretty much guarantee that you're mostly using your ear on SC, and that's a huge no-no, as Scott mentioned. The main reason why SC is hard is that sentences that sound right are actually wrong, and sentences that sound horrible are often the right answer. More than that issue -- and on ways to improve your overall technique -- here.

And for whatever it's worth: if SC is your only real problem on verbal, you're in GREAT shape, since it's much easier to improve on SC than on CR and RC. If you're disciplined in your approach to SC, you'll absolutely get better at it over time. So there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

Have fun studying!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Larbi,

I would recommend that you review all the errors that you have made to identify if there is some pattern in the mistakes which can be improved upon. I hope you take intended meaning of the sentence into consideration while solving SC questions. I think you will find this article on 5 strategies that GMAT uses to Distort meaning helpful in understanding the crucial role that meaning-based approach plays in acing GMAT SC.

Sign-up for the e-GMAT Free Trial to know more about the meaning-based approach to solve SC.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Larbi wrote:
Hello guys

Just had a mock on Gmatprep today and got a 670 (Q47 V35) however when I was reviewing my mistakes I've noticed that most of them emanate from SC. But the funny thing is, I was pretty sure of my answers on SC questions that I got wrong.
In that respect, I'd really appreciate if you guys can give me any advice on how to do to improve my SC for 700+ questions.

Cheers

Hi Larby,

Please let me know if you get some solid strategy to improve the SC part of Verbal. I also face the same issue. I did almost all the questions in OG. But when it comes to the test, I am not able to score.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Larbi! Since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
GMAT Club Bot