Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: What's Your Personality Type? Is there a MBA Type?? [#permalink]
Nitty wrote:
I agree with you R.E.D.

And if you read the book, it says that all people to do fit perfectly into a type.

What I thought was great about the test and the studies behind it was that it helped me to understand other personality types. I learned how to approach them better and get what I wanted out of them. For instance...there is a woman I work with who is very quiet and stand-offish. Another coworker on our team was furious with how this quiet woman handled issues that influenced us all and was ready to tell her off.

I just don't believe that people are mean for no reason at all. Its always a misunderstanding or something going on in their world. Anyhow...I found the womans personality type and found out that she doesn't try to upset us on purpose, and that she was actually an interesting person with lots to say. I let the coworker who was furious read about her own personality and the quiet womans personlity to show that they were different, one was not patient and very emotional, the other was very patient and layed back and does not let things get to her. The furious coworker came to her senses and realized that she may be looking into the situation too deep, and tried other ways to build a more productive relationship between the two. They now get along much better and the furious one has my book right now and plans to use it to understand her mate also.

I think this will be a great tool for those who do not work well in groups when they enter the MBA program. While at Baruch last week, they told me they use personality types(all different) to create first yr groups, and the second yrs can pick there own groups. Students on the panel said it was a better experience with the 1st yr groups the staff created because when they worked with their friends, there was more slacking off and emotions involved.

You're right, Nitty, but this is too scientific-based :) Definitely, there should be some way to learn all the facets of a person's behaviour, not just grouped only or feel them. To look further, what caused that women think that she could upset others? There could be something in her previous experience that she mistakingly extrapolates to all other people. This is more from psychology and curing people... an interesting way is to create understanding by yourself, asking many why-s in many applications and situations to a particular person...

Anyways, could be interesting to ask, as far as in this thread people are interested in psychology and behaviour, how do you work with people who are strong "Black and White"? I dealt twice with this kind of person and it was extremely difficult. They choose some point of view, put at it label "The only right way to do things" and almost never change their mind. They do not accept any argument that interferes with their point of view. They just skip it or say that it's of zero applicability.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Nitty wrote:
And if you read the book, it says that all people to do fit perfectly into a type.

Would doubt a bit about perfect fit into a certain type. kryzak is a good example of multi-type person :)

I guess that person's behaviour in a situation depends on the environment and what this person learned previously... And those first experiences could be based on dispositions towards some type.

Besides, the full scale includes also elements of this disposition. For example, if you are choosing between N (intuitive) and T (thinking/logical) you could be more inclined to behave intuitively than logically, meaning that out of 10 situations in 6 you behave according to your intuition and in 4 - logically. But, then, what actually makes you to behave in such a contrast type in those situations?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
LMAO, that could be me sometimes. Those type of people you must find out how to be friend them so they can trust you. I usually go ahead and show visual examples if I need to work with someone like that, and I always provide candy or snacks during our meetings (it works, it relaxes high stressed people).

I am a visual person who only accepts things if I can see it. It must be on paper or I am not giving in. I need facts and figures. But people usually get to me by giving me small talk (not always work talk), and giving me little gifts. I know your like what the %^&*, but its something about it. They know how to distract me and sneak in a change lol.

I work with one of the most successful fashion brands in US, and when I have meetings with the head person and I want to suggest a change, I make sure the room is comfortable, bring drinks (water, oj, coffee) and hard candy (warm favors like vanilla, cream, carmel, etc.) are available (they are serious diet types, so no donuts) I also have tons of visuals to explain my thoughts. I have charts and prices ready to pull out if needed. Then I end the conversation on a personal convo note.

Last meeting we talked about American Idol for about an hr, no lie, normally I would be upset that we are wasting time, but I learned that small talk works with some people. My last job, I hated it because those that moved up didnt work hard, they just talked football, and crap with the CEO. He just liked there company and would have them present at meetings and join him on his private jet to go city to city to meet with potential clients. It sucks but you must learn to play the game. Learn about other personality and you will learn how to get what you want out of people.

Try these audiobook- Interesting Reads while you commute:

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office : 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers (This book helped me walk away from design and get into brand management- I was scared to quit lol)

Say the Magic Words: How to Get What You Want from the People Who Have What You Need

Get Anyone to Do Anything
(This book helped me to get my licensees to make changes, and communicate with emotional designers)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
ESTJ

Business executive
Military officer
Chief Information Officer
Sports merchandise sales
Paralegal
Real estate agent
Budget analyst
Administrator: health care
Database manager
Corporate financial attorney
Pharmacist
Credit counselor
Insurance agent
Teacher: trade, industrial, technical
Property manager

Interesting...Hopefully Business Exec is in my future.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry RED, I meant to say everyone does "not" fit into a type perfectly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Nitty wrote:
Sorry RED, I meant to say everyone does "not" fit into a type perfectly.

Aha :) For the present time I see typing as a good instrument to "tune up" in an environment where you do not have much time.
Found somewhere level of players in chess:
Amateurs/beginners - forecast only one step forward
Candidates into master of sports - calculate combinations
Masters of sports - evaluate their contestor as a person and his weaker/stronger areas that cause game flow
Grand masters - focus on the board but keep in mind their own winning combinations. They push contestor to move pieces into a winning combination. And they just play their combination.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
ENTJ -

Famous people with same personality type:

Oprah Winfrey
Michael Jordan

That's all I need to hear. . .LOL -
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2