Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: What to do when you're not improving [#permalink]
gmatpill wrote:
Hi bigred2008,

You seem to be thinking you're making progress but the results don't seem to show it.

It's hard to definitively say what the reason is, but here is a critical questions to ask yourself:

If you randomly pick 10 questions that you previously got wrong one day and do them in random order the next day, will you get all 10 of them correct?
Well, you'd better--right? After all, you saw what the right answer is and reasoned your way through.

In other words---do you REALLY understand your mistakes so you don't make them next time when they are reworded a bit differently? Did you REALLY spot the pitfall?

There's a method of "doing" GMAT questions that I teach that involves a little repetition but is quite effective. You can read about it here:

https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... questions/

If I randomly picked 10 questions I would most likely get 7 of them right because I haven't covered geometry and probability yet. But on number properties, equations and the topics I have covered I get them right because I have spent so much time on them. I might try taking my next CAT after I have covered the next 2 books and see what happens.

Thank for the link.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Information Systems
Schools:University of Washington Bothell, and Seattle University
GMAT 2: 580
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
I am having the same problem. Even though I have been studying a great deal in the past few weeks my score has not improved much. I think it is due to time management. I have heard that getting the first few questions is very important, so if you are getting the first part of the test, or a lot of questions in a row wrong, this can have a very negative impact on your score. So it may be the way you are taking the test, instead of your knowledge that is resulting in stagnant test scores.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Are you keeping an error log?

Maintaining a proper error log is key to overcoming certain obstacles.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:

I am keeping an error log and going through the problems to make sure I understand the issues I ran into the first time whether it be knowledge or timing. Question, when should I bring SC into my study plan, I have been focused on quant for the last 1.5 months, any suggestions on when verbal should make an entrance?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Information Systems
Schools:University of Washington Bothell, and Seattle University
GMAT 2: 580
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
In regards to error logs, I am using the "friendly error log" but I am a little confused on how it works. The data is not matching up in the graphs, but I only have about 7 questions inputted so far. Do I need to have more questions in order for the graphs to be truly representative?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Bigred2008 wrote:
mohater wrote:

I am keeping an error log and going through the problems to make sure I understand the issues I ran into the first time whether it be knowledge or timing. Question, when should I bring SC into my study plan, I have been focused on quant for the last 1.5 months, any suggestions on when verbal should make an entrance?

This all depends on your needs and how much time each section requires. People generally take a practice test to gauge progress and decide when to move on.

Also consider the economics of studying (diminishing returns). At some point, additional time on quant is not very valuable, while a little extra time in verbal could prove quite useful (again, this is key where an error log is useful).
Retired Moderator
Send PM
MeestorEno wrote:
In regards to error logs, I am using the "friendly error log" but I am a little confused on how it works. The data is not matching up in the graphs, but I only have about 7 questions inputted so far. Do I need to have more questions in order for the graphs to be truly representative?

Post your question in the error log thread.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I just took a practice test on MGMAT and my score has barely changed even though I feel like I know more. I currently am half way through reading through the MGMAT Equations/VICs book (number 3) and working on the problem set. I spent a lot of time studying number properties to make sure I got that, and got all the suggested questions right from the MGMAT question set. I don't know if it is because I'm not completely through the set of books and haven't had a chance to work out all the kinks or what it is, but I thought I would of seen some sort of improvement on my scores. When I first took the GMATPrep to set the groundwork I got a 520, 30Q/32V.

What my remaining schedule looks like is to continue with the MGMAT books and finish them in 2 weeks time and work through all the OG questions and then review them all to make sure I'm getting the basics and can project them forward. Then I plan to use some of Jeff Sachmann's sets to get some more practice in, but not to do problems for problem sake but to get a feel and understanding of how possible questions can be constructed. I also plan to go through all of the questions from MGMAT books again especially percentage ones as I did not do well in that section. Any other suggestions other than finish the MGMAT books and go from there, I am looking at taking the test 12/3 and I'm panicking a little bit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you have suggestions on how I could change my study plan or what the holes I'm missing are?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
You know, I’m kind of in the same boat as you, but mine is worse. I took a practice CAT, scored 340 without any studying. Afterwards, a 600, and then it went downhill from there. 560, 540, 470, and just yesterday, an abysmal 400. So I feel you, but at least your score is stable. My score on the other hand…its going the opposite direction of improving.

This was after going through each MGMAT book twice and going through my error log with consistent M-F studying for 2.5-3 hours of studying and 6+ hours on Sat-Sun combined. My test is coming up this Friday. I’m debating whether I should cancel the test and lose the $250, or go all the way and live with the crappy score and give up on my dreams of business school. Honestly I was thinking of suicide, that’s how depressed I am.

Also, I’m also a little lost with the error log. Either I’m inputting the data incorrectly, or it’s not really helping me. The type of question stated on MGMAT differs from the type of question on the OG. MGMAT might say its an EIV/FDP question, but OG states its algebra/arithmetic, so my error log shows skewed data where like 90% of my error log is algebra/arithmetic.
GMAT Club Bot