Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: LBS '24 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.85
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Admission Hacks
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: LBS '24 (A)
Send PM
Re: Where to start with verbal? [#permalink]
MacAtAdmissionHacks wrote:
I would preface what I'm about to say with this: I generally believe that it's harder to improve in verbal than it is to improve in quant. That doesn't mean you should feel discouraged, but be ready to put in the work and only see slow gains to your verbal score. You can definitely get a 40+V score as a native speaker with 3 months of studying.

Now quickly go over a few of your questions:

Quote:
I don't really have a strategy for approaching the SC questions.

Search GMATClub for the "splitting" method for SC. That should be a great starting point for SC. You also need to read up on SC "theory" to really make gains in the section. Subject/verb agreement, proper punctuation use, dependent/independent clauses, etc. The OG is a good place to start for that stuff.

Quote:
I am at the moment considering e-gmat

I've heard great things about their course. Magoosh also would be a cost-effective way to gain access to lessons and questions. In all honesty, I would hold off on buying extra resources for verbal until you work your way through at least the OG. It'll give you extra time to really figure out where the best value is for resources/courses.

Quote:
Also I know a lot of people say focus 1st month on quant 2nd month on verbal etc

I don't like this strategy. I think it's better to constantly build on your skills in both sections, rather than do one, leave it, then return to it. You don't want to have to relearn in the third month some of the things you learned in the first month of studying.

Quote:
Also how can I get walkthrough solutions to the CAT questions on the GMAT PREP programme

Type the first ~5-10 words of whatever question you want into google. Click on the GMATClub link that pops up. Scroll down, find Bunuel's answer, rinse and repeat. :grin: But seriously, I wouldn't recommend using the OG to explain answers you got wrong. I found their answers to be unintuitive most of the time, especially on stuff like SC.

Thank you so much, very helpful and informative! I will check out the OG when it comes, my first 1-2 weeks I will focus on the basics. Also will check out the splitting method.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Where to start with verbal? [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts