GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Where to start with verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Where to start with verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 18:45
Hi all need some advice,

So I did a cold official test a couple days ago and scored 550 36Q 27V 3IR. I've just done 3 days intensive studying over the bank holiday and took my second CAT. Scored 610 44Q 29V 7IR.
So my quant and IR score improved but my verbal score barely changed, need some advice where to start. I have 3 months to my test date (not scheduled yet), and need a good way to tackle the verbal section (also AWA).

I'm a native speaker but always struggled quite a bit with English compared to maths/sciences. I tried the Empower Gmat course, and whilst it contained a quite useful strategy for brushing up on the DS quant questions, I really did not like the style of the verbal guide.

I've done a breakdown of the questions I got wrong and its pretty much even between CR RC & SC although I feel like I don't really have a strategy for approaching the SC questions. I have ordered the OG (arriving later this week) but I would like to use some additional resources. I am at the moment considering e-gmat as it has consistently good reviews (is this useful for native speakers), and combining this with Maths revolution and the OG. Also I know a lot of people say focus 1st month on quant 2nd month on verbal etc, but I feel it may be more beneficial to start verbal from month 1 to get as much exposure as possible.

Also how can I get walkthrough solutions to the CAT questions on the GMAT PREP programme, to create an error log etc?

Edit: Also wanted to add that I am finishing the verbal section with 20+ minutes to spare, which obviously cant be right.. the quant section I am rushing last 1-2 questions
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Where to start with verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 21:43
Give this a shot , It really a great post and is really helpful.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-verbal-study-plan-2017-edition-233279.html

Regards ,
Dhruv

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Hacks
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 09:57
I would preface what I'm about to say with this: I generally believe that it's harder to improve in verbal than it is to improve in quant. That doesn't mean you should feel discouraged, but be ready to put in the work and only see slow gains to your verbal score. You can definitely get a 40+V score as a native speaker with 3 months of studying.

Now quickly go over a few of your questions:

Quote:
I don't really have a strategy for approaching the SC questions.

Search GMATClub for the "splitting" method for SC. That should be a great starting point for SC. You also need to read up on SC "theory" to really make gains in the section. Subject/verb agreement, proper punctuation use, dependent/independent clauses, etc. The OG is a good place to start for that stuff.

Quote:
I am at the moment considering e-gmat

I've heard great things about their course. Magoosh also would be a cost-effective way to gain access to lessons and questions. In all honesty, I would hold off on buying extra resources for verbal until you work your way through at least the OG. It'll give you extra time to really figure out where the best value is for resources/courses.

Quote:
Also I know a lot of people say focus 1st month on quant 2nd month on verbal etc

I don't like this strategy. I think it's better to constantly build on your skills in both sections, rather than do one, leave it, then return to it. You don't want to have to relearn in the third month some of the things you learned in the first month of studying.

Quote:
Also how can I get walkthrough solutions to the CAT questions on the GMAT PREP programme

Type the first ~5-10 words of whatever question you want into google. Click on the GMATClub link that pops up. Scroll down, find Bunuel's answer, rinse and repeat. :grin: But seriously, I wouldn't recommend using the OG to explain answers you got wrong. I found their answers to be unintuitive most of the time, especially on stuff like SC.

Cheers,

Mac @ Admission Hacks

Visit: https://www.admissionhacks.com/ for free GMAT resources and advice!

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 11:30
MacAtAdmissionHacks wrote:
I would preface what I'm about to say with this: I generally believe that it's harder to improve in verbal than it is to improve in quant. That doesn't mean you should feel discouraged, but be ready to put in the work and only see slow gains to your verbal score. You can definitely get a 40+V score as a native speaker with 3 months of studying.

Now quickly go over a few of your questions:

Quote:
I don't really have a strategy for approaching the SC questions.

Search GMATClub for the "splitting" method for SC. That should be a great starting point for SC. You also need to read up on SC "theory" to really make gains in the section. Subject/verb agreement, proper punctuation use, dependent/independent clauses, etc. The OG is a good place to start for that stuff.

Quote:
I am at the moment considering e-gmat

I've heard great things about their course. Magoosh also would be a cost-effective way to gain access to lessons and questions. In all honesty, I would hold off on buying extra resources for verbal until you work your way through at least the OG. It'll give you extra time to really figure out where the best value is for resources/courses.

Quote:
Also I know a lot of people say focus 1st month on quant 2nd month on verbal etc

I don't like this strategy. I think it's better to constantly build on your skills in both sections, rather than do one, leave it, then return to it. You don't want to have to relearn in the third month some of the things you learned in the first month of studying.

Quote:
Also how can I get walkthrough solutions to the CAT questions on the GMAT PREP programme

Type the first ~5-10 words of whatever question you want into google. Click on the GMATClub link that pops up. Scroll down, find Bunuel's answer, rinse and repeat. :grin: But seriously, I wouldn't recommend using the OG to explain answers you got wrong. I found their answers to be unintuitive most of the time, especially on stuff like SC.

Thank you so much, very helpful and informative! I will check out the OG when it comes, my first 1-2 weeks I will focus on the basics. Also will check out the splitting method.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Where to start with verbal? &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 11:30

Where to start with verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap