Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Take a Guaranteed Job Offer from Summer Internship or Take Your Chances in the Fall?

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Will You Take Your Job Offer from Internship or Wait? [#permalink]
Considering a lot of those post-internship job offers included enough $$$ to pay your second years tuition, I have only one thing to say...

where do I sign????

Also, I'm not sure exactly how these post-internship offers work. Are they binding?

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I disagree.

We all invest a lot of money into this. We have to shoot for our dream jobs if we can.

So unless that internship was my dream internship, I will say no to their offer and take my chance with other 2nd years.
Current Student
Send PM
BearStearner wrote:
I disagree.

We all invest a lot of money into this. We have to shoot for our dream jobs if we can.

So unless that internship was my dream internship, I will say no to their offer and take my chance with other 2nd years.

Your not playing by the RULES!!! :beat

"Forget whether this job is exactly what you are looking for from the very start or it is just an opportunity that you settled for....."

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
If you can move to what you want in 1-2 years from that position. I would take it and start getting ready to get my next job
Current Student
Send PM
falibay wrote:
If you can move to what you want in 1-2 years from that position. I would take it and start getting ready to get my next job

I think your point is really important. Just because you accept a job from the company you did you internship with doesn't mean you have to work for the company for the rest of your life. It might not be your top location or company, but if the work experience/job responsibilities and compensation are top notch, it can be a smart long-term move.

I can also agree with BearSterner's comment about not settling. If you want your dream job, you'll eventually have to take a chance. Since a lot of us will be over 30 by the time we finish our MBAs (and some of us over 35 :oops: ), you don't always have the time you did when you were younger for "long-term" moves.

I think as long as you factor in everything that matters to you, the decision will be quite obvious.

RF
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
How often do you think a typical top MBA grad changes job after bschool?

Would you say in general, people try few different jobs (2 or 3) and stick with that job and make a career out of it or would you say that in general, people will switch jobs multiple jobs over their career? (4 to 10 times even?)

Remember, our generation is very fickle - completely different than previous generations....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'd have to agree with RF and sign for the sure thing.
Stress free 2nd year too (you can participate in whatever activities and not freak out about future job or grades).. probably the only time you'd be stress free ever again. You can now truly enjoy the experience..no pressure.

Yea how do these post intern offers work typically? is it offered right after the summer...and thus require us to respond before recruiting time?
So if we did our intern at top companies and didn't get an offer...would other companies look at us as if there must be something bad about this candidate?

And finally...I would say that people in general will switch jobs and/or functions. Maybe not up to 4 -10 different functions..but I'm pretty sure at some point they'll try at least 1 different function. The ones that stick to their career would be the one that keep themselves fresh by probably switching companies periodically. *just my prediction...
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
they have a policy with the schools that means the offer needs to stay open for at least about two months from that point.

Let's say you hold onto the offer for 2 months. Is 2 months (from beginning of Fall semester) reasonable time for one to seriously shop around for job interviews and possibly offers?

3underscore wrote:
If a wonder job came along, I could always back out. It would be incredibly messy, no doubt, but is possible. That considered it really makes sense to sign.

Exactly how messy is it? My former colleague backed out of an offer for a better offer and the school's Career Office intervened and tried to get him to accept the original offer.....something about integrity and protecting school's relationship/reputation with employers...
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Thanks river

+1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Exactly as River says - they will disown you, pretty much. And certainly pressure you on the damage to future recruitment.

For finding jobs, given that you are in demand, 2 months is perfectly long enough to work out what is going on and push things through, at least in the major recruitment industries. I know people who have done it for consultancy this year, and banking and S&T in the past (even this year, in fact). Hedge Funds, PE, VC... you'll be pushing your luck, but you have the major endorsement that someone wants you. There is nothing like someone that a competitor wants.

See how many people hit on you when you are happy in a relationship relative to when you are single? That is what it is like as an MBA with a job offer. You can rapidly scope the environment. This year, in trader parlance, there was nothing there. I think some signed instantly, but a fair few of us held off to see what was about and reach out to just see what was going on. On sniffing around a bit, there was the very noticeable scent that once you have caught wind of it once, you will never forget it. Death.

(this is from a S&T perspective)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
You can always negotiate :). 70% of job offers are negotiable in the USA.
Current Student
Send PM
Kellogg revokes your alum access to recruiting if you renegate on an offer? Ouch, that's pretty drastic; I understand that it is not very ethical but firm have the option to rescinde the offers as well. I am sure that will be more common this year...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Kellogg revokes your alum access to recruiting if you renegate on an offer? Ouch, that's pretty drastic; I understand that it is not very ethical but firm have the option to rescinde the offers as well. I am sure that will be more common this year...

Falibay, thats a pretty common punishment. Every school is going to do something to you so that you arent tempted to do it the second something mildly better comes along.
Current Student
Send PM
I do understand the rational behind it but that's something that happens all the time in the workplace and it does not reflect so badly on the school. It is an individual decision. Though I understand, I just don't like the fact that companies have the option and we don't ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
falibay wrote:
I do understand the rational behind it but that's something that happens all the time in the workplace and it does not reflect so badly on the school. It is an individual decision. Though I understand, I just don't like the fact that companies have the option and we don't ...

It does refelect badly on the school, because you are a representative of the school. We had one case happen a few years ago. The recruiter refuses to come back to the school. That's the impact it can have. Once you;ve attended ths chool, it's on your resume for life, so the image of the school will follow you.
GMAT Club Bot