Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 01:11 It is currently 13 May 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28624 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Working out number of corners on a dodecahedron [#permalink]
A company's current revenue is £1million a year, 10% is profit. If over the next 3 years revenues increase by 10% a year and costs increase by £120000 a year, what will be the profit margin?

I worked it out as Revenues at year 3 are 1.331 million, Costs are 1.26 million and so profit is 0.071 million giving a profit margin of 0.071/1.331 *100= 5.33

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How many ways are there to place a domino on an 8x8 chess board so that it covers exactly 2 squares (not counting rotations)

I cant think of how to do this without drawing out a chess board and manually counting...any help please!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ABC is a right angled triangle, AB= 4, BC= 5. Whats the area?

Poss answers= More info needed, 12, 6, 20, 10

Now, in such a scenario is it valid to say more info is needed as you are not sure which way they have labelled the triangle or is it just a straight forward question?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
umairk wrote:
A company's current revenue is £1million a year, 10% is profit. If over the next 3 years revenues increase by 10% a year and costs increase by £120000 a year, what will be the profit margin?

I worked it out as Revenues at year 3 are 1.331 million, Costs are 1.26 million and so profit is 0.071 million giving a profit margin of 0.071/1.331 *100= 5.33

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Dear umairk,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

I agree with all of your calculations.
Currently
revenue = £1M
profit = £100K
cost = £900K

If revenue increases by 10%, that's £1M(1.1)^3 = 1.331M, which you correctly calculated.
If costs increase by £120K a year, that's 900K + 3*120K = 1.26M which you correctly calculated.
Difference in revenue and cost should be profit, which is 1.331M - 1.26M = 0.071M = 71K which you correctly calculated.

In my understanding,
profit margin would be (profit)/(revenue) x 100 = 0.071/1.331 *100= 5.33%, as you calculated
and
profit percentage would be (profit)/(cost) x 100 = 0.071/1.26*100 = 5.635% --- this looks suspiciously like answer (E).

These two terms are, I believe, how the concepts are discussed in American economics. I don't know if the exact terms are used the same way around the world. It may be that whoever wrote the question meant the thing we Americans call "profit percentage", but that person knew the same idea as "profit margin." The GMAT tends to steer clear of all ambiguities related to terminology. Rather than use a technical term that may have one meaning in one place and another meaning in another, they are scrupulously careful to say things such as "what are profits in the last year as a percentage of costs in that year" --- so that even a person unacquainted with the terminology could find the answer. The GMAT definitely expects folks to have a handle on the basic ideas of cost, profit, and revenue, as you do, but I have never seen them use some of these other terms, such as "profit margin" or "profit percentage". They will always be very explicit about that: they are not interested in testing the precise meaning of more obscure economic terms.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
umairk wrote:
How many ways are there to place a domino on an 8x8 chess board so that it covers exactly 2 squares (not counting rotations)

I cant think of how to do this without drawing out a chess board and manually counting...any help please!

Dear umairk,
This is a great counting problem, and I am happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a post on difficult counting problems that might help you.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/difficult- ... -problems/

Think about it this way. The domino can be placed on the board either vertically or horizontally. Let's look at the horizontal arrangements first.

In a single row of eight squares, the left side of the domino can be located in seven of those eight squares. The left side can't be in the eighth, rightmost square, because then the right side of the domino would be hanging off the board. So in a single row, there are seven possible locations.

Well, there are eight rows, so that's a total of 7*8 = 56 possible horizontal arrangements.

Now, the number of vertical arrangements, by symmetry, must equal the number of horizontal arrangements --- 56 for each, for a total of 112 arrangements.

Does all this make sense?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
umairk wrote:
ABC is a right angled triangle, AB= 4, BC= 5. Whats the area?

Poss answers= More info needed, 12, 6, 20, 10

Now, in such a scenario is it valid to say more info is needed as you are not sure which way they have labelled the triangle or is it just a straight forward question?

Dear umairk,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Yes, you are right --- I believe the answer has to be "more info needed", because we don't know where the right angle is. It could be at B, in which case the area would be 10, or it could be at A, in which case AC = 3 and area = 6. Without either a diagram or a statement about where the right angle is, we cannot give a definitive answer.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mike

Yes that makes perfect sense. It seems so easy when you put it that way!

Many thanks
Umair
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

Yeah your right in terms of profit margin having the same meaning. It's interesting in that 5.3 isn't in the answer choices but as that is the closest it will have to do.

Again, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great thanks, at least I got one right!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts