Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:23 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [75]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644161 [33]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [13]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: (x^2+6x-7)/|x+4| < 0 [#permalink]
Narenn wrote:
Answer Should be C

First of all, equation within Modulus can not be negative. So |x+4| has to be positive.

Now if \(\frac{a}{b}\) is negative and b is positive, then a must be negative. i.e. \(x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0\)

So we have that \(x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0\) --------> (x+7)(x-1) < 0 -------> Now we get three ranges of x
1) x < -7
2) -7 < x < 1
3) x > 1
Here we can see that the range mentioned in serial number 2 satisfies the inequality (x+7)(x-1) < 0. So -7 < x < 1

Now let's work on denominator. We know that |x+4| > 0 --------> x > -4 or x < -4 that means x is not equal to -4 -------[ |x-a| > r then x > a+r or x < a-r ]

Consider both the ranges together
-7 < x < 1 and x is not equal to -4
So -7 < x < -4 and -4 < x < 1

Should you want to review basics concepts of Inequations and Modules, Visit my this Article. And this too.

Hope that helps

Hi Narenn,

Here we can see that the range mentioned in serial number 2 satisfies the inequality (x+7)(x-1) < 0. So -7 < x < 1

I have a doubt.

Now, (x+7)(x-1) < 0
CASE 1: x+7 is +ve and x-1 is negative.

x+7 >0 and x -1 <0
x > -7 and x< 1

CASE 2: x+7 is -ve and x-1 is +ve

x+7 <0 and x-1 >0
x< -7 and x> 1

Why haven't you consider the second case???

Thanks,
Jai
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [1]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jaituteja wrote:
Narenn wrote:
Answer Should be C

First of all, equation within Modulus can not be negative. So |x+4| has to be positive.

Now if \(\frac{a}{b}\) is negative and b is positive, then a must be negative. i.e. \(x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0\)

So we have that \(x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0\) --------> (x+7)(x-1) < 0 -------> Now we get three ranges of x
1) x < -7
2) -7 < x < 1
3) x > 1

Now let's work on denominator. We know that |x+4| > 0 --------> x > -4 or x < -4 that means x is not equal to -4 -------[ |x-a| > r then x > a+r or x < a-r ]

Consider both the ranges together
-7 < x < 1 and x is not equal to -4
So -7 < x < -4 and -4 < x < 1

Should you want to review basics concepts of Inequations and Modules, Visit my this Article. And this too.

Hope that helps

Hi Narenn,

I have a doubt.

Now, (x+7)(x-1) < 0
CASE 1: x+7 is +ve and x-1 is negative.

x+7 >0 and x -1 <0
x > -7 and x< 1

CASE 2: x+7 is -ve and x-1 is +ve

x+7 <0 and x-1 >0
x< -7 and x> 1

Why haven't you consider the second case???

Thanks,
Jai

We are looking for the value(s) of x that would satisfy the the inequality (x+7)(x-1)<0

Now we know that (x+7)(x-1) will be negative when any one of them be negative and other one be positive. For this to happen we should find the value(s) of x that would simultaneously make one positive and other one negative.

We got two critical points (or check points, or reference points, whatever you call to it) as -7 and 1. We should carry out our search for the right value considering these two reference points.

-Infinity,........-13, -12, -11, -10, -9, -8, -7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, .......... Infinity

Consider the right side of the number line. You will notice that every value beyond critical point 1 makes both the equations positive. So the values beyond 1 do not agree with the inequality and hence can not be the solution of it.

Similarly every value beyond -7 towards negative side makes both the equations negative, thereby making the multiplication (x+7)(x-1) positive. So these values also can not be the solution of the inequality.

Whereas every value between -7 and 1 makes one of the equation positive and at the same time other one negative. So these values can satisfy the inequality and hence are the solution.

You will also notice that the reverse is true when the inequation has greater than(>) sign. That means in such case values between the critical points will not satisfy the inequality and those beyond the critical points would.

You can generalize this as for the quadratic inequation of the form ax^2 + bx + c < 0 the solution lies between the roots and for the quadratic inequation of the form ax^2 + bx + c > 0 the solution lies beyond the roots
(Note :- There is one exception for this rule that is in quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c < or > 0, if discriminant i.e. b^2 - 4ac is equal to zero then the quadratic equation will give only one root (Critical Point). All values of x except for root(critical point) will satisfy the inequality ax^2 + bx + c > 0 and the inequality ax^2 + bx + c < 0 will not have any solution. Check this example.

Further to understand quadratic inequalities in depth try these methods proposed by some legendary members
BUNUEL
Veritas Karishma
Zarrolou

Hope that Helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Thank you all. The replies are helpful..I will review the posts quoted here first before solving more problems.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [4]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
I think this question can be solved easily with diagram

HTH
Attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 552.47 KiB | Viewed 20159 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
(x+7)*(x-1)<0

x<-7 AND x>1=Nothing

x>-7 AND x<1=-7<x<1

test denominator for 0: only -4 gives |x+4|=0

so, -7<x<-4 AND -4<x<1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have a question. Since we know that |x+4| is always positive, why can't we multiply both sides of the inequality by |x+4|, to arrive at the following:

x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644161 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
sauravpaul wrote:
I have a question. Since we know that |x+4| is always positive, why can't we multiply both sides of the inequality by |x+4|, to arrive at the following:

x^2 + 6x - 7 < 0

Yes, you can do that and every solution above does this in one sense or another.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
(x2+6x−7)|x+4|<0

\(\frac{\left(x^2+6x-7\right)}{\left|x+4\right|}\ <\ 0\)
The function inside the modulus is always non-negative.
Hence for the fraction to be negative. The case is possible only when the numerator is negative.
The numerator can be expressed as :
\(x^2+6x-7\ =\ \left(x+7\right)\cdot\left(x-1\right)\)
For this to be negative the possible range of x should be :
-7 < x < 1.
But since for x = -4 the denominator becomes 0. The function is not defined when x = -4.
Hence the range of values of x :
-7 < x < -4 and -4 < x < 1.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66907 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
(x^2+6x-7)/|x+4| < 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Juggernaut23 wrote:
\(\frac{(x^2+6x-7)}{|x+4|} < 0\)

A) -7<x<-5 and -4<x<1
B) -7<x<-5 and -4<x<0
C) -7<x<-4 and -4<x<1
D) -7<x<-6 and -4<x<1

I am looking for a good way to approach inequality problems that involve absolute value ratios, as given above. Any help is greatly appreciated.

SOURCE: this is not from GMAT prep book; this problem is from a GRE practice book, which have many problems of this kind. I went through M-GMAT book inequalities chapter but haven't seen anything similar to this.

Thanks!

Note that we will use the same wavy line method as we do for inequalities with multiple factors, just that x = -4 will not be a transition point because the inequality does not change sign at x = -4. The absolute value ensures that |x + 4| is always positive so in a way it is like our squares or positive constants. The only thing is that since it is in the denominator, we know that x cannot be -4.

(x^2+6x-7) = (x + 7)(x - 1)
So transition points are -7 and 1 and since we are looking for negative values of inequality, the range we get is -7 < x < 1. But -4 is a part of this range hence we need to remove it.
-7<x<-4 and -4<x<1 is one way of doing it.

Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
So transition points are -7 and 1 and since we are looking for negative values of inequality, the range we get is -7 < x < 1. But -4 is a part of this range hence we need to remove it.

Answer (C)

­Can you help me understand why -4 is not a transition point?
Is the following reasoning accurate: Just like even powers, modulus also doesn't give a transition point.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66907 [0]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Expert Reply
Noida wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:

Answer (C)

­Can you help me understand why -4 is not a transition point?
Is the following reasoning accurate: Just like even powers, modulus also doesn't give a transition point.

­
Yes, absolute values are always positive so they do not give transition points. 

Check this video. It discusses why and how we get transition points: 
https://youtu.be/PWsUOe77__E­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts