Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
Kudos
MBAorLust wrote:
Cn someone please explain to me why people get dinged after an interview and why some who don't get interviews get wait-listed (I am WL by the way). I mean if you were competitive enough to get an interview doesn't that mean that you should get a better decision than those who weren't invited at all.

I'm not just trying to undersand it for all school...cuz it confuses me..i need insight.

My best guess, and only because this happened to friends of mine at other schools, is that for some reason the AdCom thought your application wasn't enthusiastic enough about SOM. In other words, they thought that you had your eyes on Haas, or Tuck, or Kellogg and that you thought of SOM as a backup. You otherwise fit the profile of the school, but they thought you weren't serious enough about the school, so they, in turn, waitlisted you as a backup. I can't say this for sure the situation, but this is my hunch.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Here's the beginning to my story about being a two-time reapplicant and the psychosis it entailed. I hope it comes in useful for some folks who may have been dinged this year who might be thinking about trying again. Many thanks to TheSenator for letting me guest on his spectacular blog. Parts Two and Three should be posted soon.

https://thesenator2014.wordpress.com/201 ... -part-one/
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I applied to Yale SOM in the Third Round. Would any one who has applied to Yale SOM or have insights know whether interview/rejection letters are sent out two weeks prior to the May 17, 2012 deadline. I am curious.
thanks
R
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
There were at least two days of interviews last week (Monday and Tuesday). The day I went, there must have been about another ten people invited for the day.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
oneyearmba wrote:
Indigo12 wrote:
oneyearmba wrote:

when I asked ALL the three students to mention my country on the map, No one knew it!!!

Thank you for your reply! I know exactly what you mean.

I've been wondering something about international applicants. How do adcoms really evaluate them? INSEAD aside, when I look through the adcom team members 99% of the time they are very regional, if not local, and at least in their profile don't really list international experience. How effective are they at assessing the potential of an international applicant and the value of their application in terms of the meaning of their accomplishments at their own location, if the team members don't have much exposure?

thats right. at INSEAD for example, the admission committee is composed of 10 alumni and 10 INSEAD staff (professors, admission directors, and even admission coordinator). and admission committee is truly multinational and multicultural..they know exactly what does (extracurricular) mean in different countries? they know the differences between cultures when it comes to personal achievements..and so on..at Yale, I noticed the admission staff are very familiar with the american applicants and they got deeper in talking with them about their career plans and from where do they come and where did their undergraduates, extracurricular activities..families..and all these staff! but as an international I felt i am really very very strange within them..PLEASE note..the students and staff were nice..BUT I am talking about the quality of a top tier MBA folks..there are things beyond good in college and test scores..I felt that I will not be benefiting from those students in an international scale..they will be good friends, but when it comes to global leader in multinational company, I really feel they need much preparation, experiences, and to be aware of the others.. at Duke fuqua, the white american I met there are on par with the international students in term of global awareness and they know many things about businesses, cultures, countries, and people. again, Yale SOM need more time and new strategy to be on par with the other top programs ..e.g.M7 schools, and INSEAD. in fact, they have at Yale the highest potential to be so; brands, money, proximity to NYC, new dean, every thing, except the gloomy new haven :), Please bear n mind, this is not to underestimate yale som or its students as it is just my experience and I wish for this institution to have the right people in the admission panel to help them attracting best students..the current admission people are not on the same level as Yale name! I wish Mr Ted read this and address this issue very soon..

I don't think there's any question that Yale's not as international as INSEAD. Not many MBA programs are, if any at all. I can't comment on Duke, as I know very little about it, but I don't think that MBA programs should only be judged solely by how internationally aware their students already are. Is INSEAD a more 'international' school than, say, Harvard? Probably. That alone doesn't necessarily make it better.

I'm international as well, and had a great interview experience. My interviewer was forthcoming about not knowing much about my country and they asked what felt like genuine questions about it. That didn't bother much - I know very little about the part of the US that they're from - and in fact I think that made for a more mutually enriching conversation. I don't know if my interviewer would have been able to point my country out on a map, but to be honest, despite the fact that I've lived, worked, and traveled in/to many countries, there are plenty that I wouldn't be able to point out on a map either. But if that makes me interesting to my interviewer and them interesting to me, I'm cool with it.

From memory, I think that Yale SOM's international student population is reasonably sizeable, is it not? So I look forward to meeting people from all over the world and, in turn, learning about lots of different cultures that I know very little about. I'm not that concerned about a less international adcomm not being able to evaluate international experience. To a certain extent, an interesting profile is an interesting profile, and at the very least the onus should be on the applicant to show that they're qualified through their essays and interviews, right? The adcom have been admitting international applicants for years, and have presumably been observing how successful those students ended up being during and after their studies. Surely they'd pick up a thing or two from that.

It also makes some sense that there is a northeastern emphasis at Yale. People often choose the location of their schools because it's in a general geography where they want to live after their MBA. Many people go to Stanford because they are (or want to be) on the west coast. People might choose Columbia in part because they are (or want to be) in New York. LBS, because of London. INSEAD is an exception, but surely most schools have some degree of regional emphasis by being, at least in part, a product of their geography. I wouldn't choose Yale if I really wanted to meet people from the UK. I'd go to the UK for that.

I suppose these things are quite hit or miss, particularly when they're done by second year students or alumni. It does seem like INSEAD, and evidently Duke, are better fits for you. For me, on the other hand, I don't really care how many credit hours you need to fulfill an MBA, and I'm more excited at the prospect of taking courses with Shiller than I am concerned with the fact that there are other students at Yale who don't care enough to know if he teaches there.

An MBA program does ultimately have to feel right for you, and you unfortunately have to judge them based on interactions with a very small sample of people that often inadequately represent an entire school. My case is particularly anecdotal. I interviewed over Skype, so I literally only interacted with 1 person from the school. Either way, I was fortunate, got a good vibe, and am really excited about the prospect of going to Yale.

Fingers crossed for Thursday. Good luck to all who are still hanging in there!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
mmios wrote:

I don't think there's any question that Yale's not as international as INSEAD. Not many MBA programs are, if any at all. I can't comment on Duke, as I know very little about it, but I don't think that MBA programs should only be judged solely by how internationally aware their students already are. Is INSEAD a more 'international' school than, say, Harvard? Probably. That alone doesn't necessarily make it better.

I'm international as well, and had a great interview experience. My interviewer was forthcoming about not knowing much about my country and they asked what felt like genuine questions about it. That didn't bother much - I know very little about the part of the US that they're from - and in fact I think that made for a more mutually enriching conversation. I don't know if my interviewer would have been able to point my country out on a map, but to be honest, despite the fact that I've lived, worked, and traveled in/to many countries, there are plenty that I wouldn't be able to point out on a map either. But if that makes me interesting to my interviewer and them interesting to me, I'm cool with it.

From memory, I think that Yale SOM's international student population is reasonably sizeable, is it not? So I look forward to meeting people from all over the world and, in turn, learning about lots of different cultures that I know very little about. I'm not that concerned about a less international adcomm not being able to evaluate international experience. To a certain extent, an interesting profile is an interesting profile, and at the very least the onus should be on the applicant to show that they're qualified through their essays and interviews, right? The adcom have been admitting international applicants for years, and have presumably been observing how successful those students ended up being during and after their studies. Surely they'd pick up a thing or two from that.

It also makes some sense that there is a northeastern emphasis at Yale. People often choose the location of their schools because it's in a general geography where they want to live after their MBA. Many people go to Stanford because they are (or want to be) on the west coast. People might choose Columbia in part because they are (or want to be) in New York. LBS, because of London. INSEAD is an exception, but surely most schools have some degree of regional emphasis by being, at least in part, a product of their geography. I wouldn't choose Yale if I really wanted to meet people from the UK. I'd go to the UK for that.

I suppose these things are quite hit or miss, particularly when they're done by second year students or alumni. It does seem like INSEAD, and evidently Duke, are better fits for you. For me, on the other hand, I don't really care how many credit hours you need to fulfill an MBA, and I'm more excited at the prospect of taking courses with Shiller than I am concerned with the fact that there are other students at Yale who don't care enough to know if he teaches there.

An MBA program does ultimately have to feel right for you, and you unfortunately have to judge them based on interactions with a very small sample of people that often inadequately represent an entire school. My case is particularly anecdotal. I interviewed over Skype, so I literally only interacted with 1 person from the school. Either way, I was fortunate, got a good vibe, and am really excited about the prospect of going to Yale.

Fingers crossed for Thursday. Good luck to all who are still hanging in there!

INSEAD – Yes it is a completely different situation

Yale – I’m not trying to put it down, but I would like to understand the criteria on international applicants who have not studied or work in the US and the adcom’s ability to asses them, in general not just in Yale.
Overall, I like the nature of Yale very much, which is why I applied. The quality of the education is good, there is no question about that, but what personally attracted me to it were the holistic approach to business education and the “diverse” backgrounds promoted by them, especially in terms of social responsibility. So you can safely assume I’m not crazy about most rankings.

Fit – Yes, fully agree, everywhere it is a question of a fit. Nobody is going to fit everywhere.

International aware students - Yes it is an important criteria in the 21st century, especially for most people who have international experience and know that they will benefit from being with like minded people in that sense. Going from an international environment to an insular one is not a step forward.

Not knowing about my country – It’s not really a question of whether it can bother a person or not, as for many of us it happens all the time. But when you are going to invest time and money in an MBA program, it is a question of “how can you asses my profile if you cannot put it into context”, “how good of a job can your institution do at providing me with a global business perspective (which EVERY program is promoting now) if my first impression through the adcom does not follow that line?”

Being Interesting – I feel selection should be beyond that.

I’ll try to use an example from my own work experience doing international recruitment to explain my concern. Without discussing quality of the programs, there are countries were Masters and PhDs are “easily” accessible and are a must in order to secure a good position. On the other hand there are countries in which these types of programs are not the norm, neither in terms of availability nor in terms of job market demands. If I did not know this, I would not be able to assess sufficiently the context that helps define:

a) The motivations and drive to pursue a graduate degree
b) The merit that obtaining a graduate degree in different circumstances

Both things which are crucial in evaluating a candidate, whether for a job or an educational program. And I have done both. Same applies to understanding different job markets, impact of a position, or simply academic selection. To be honest it’s not the kind of thing that you can show in an application or define in most interviews, especially when there is generally not enough time or character count for it. Neither is it the kind of thing you can learn from reading development or economical indexes.

Hence my question about international selection.

Personally I guess it’s a ding for me, because I haven’t heard from them. I'm obviously not happy about it, but I am not speaking out of spite. I honestly just want to learn how this aspect works.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
change Topic.!

Have the Dings started to arrive ? Looks like a Ding for me . - No call so far me, even though Yale Claims that Interviews are given until the last day of admission decision, which is a few days away.

I agree with one other poster here - that an MBA program has also to be ranked based on an MBA applicant's user experience.

Best, y'all
R
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
another sweet Yale SOM shoutout!!!

(actually not at all relevant, but still strangely cool to me, look at Juror 7)...

https://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/79324 ... es-4-males
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
In, most likely for R2, but working towards R1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
in for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Does anyone know where I can find the letter of rec instructions for this years app? Last years thread has the following:

Quote:
Recommendation Letter
Please write a one- to two-page assessment of the applicant that addresses his or her personal qualities, strengths and weaknesses, and potential for achievement. We are looking for your candid and accurate assessment of the applicant’s potential to be a successful leader and what specific traits the applicant possesses that evidence this potential.
• Please describe your relationship to the applicant and the nature and frequency of your interactions.
• Please be as specific as possible and use concrete examples whenever possible.
• Do not incorporate anything drafted by the candidate in your recommendation or have the candidate submit the recommendation on your behalf.

Just want to make sure there aren't any changes before I send out my rec instruction packets. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I read somewhere that Yale SOM class size is expanding 30% starting with class of 2014. I couldn't find any more info on it. Does anyone know if this is true?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the info. Not that it was important, but I saw that and was thrilled that I might have a better shot at getting in. Would love to go there. Just need to focus on turning in a good app.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
rryyaann22 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Not that it was important, but I saw that and was thrilled that I might have a better shot at getting in. Would love to go there. Just need to focus on turning in a good app.

I doubt the avg stats will go down due to increase in size. It probably means that ppl on waitlist will see more movement (compared to previous yrs). Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Wow @ that average gmat score of 732!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Debating if I should do R1 and r2. Stats are in the box but here it is again:

School: USC (Univ of Southern California)
Major: Physics
GMAT: 760 (99%) Q49 V46

Don't know if I will have enough time to do this app and hbs 2+2
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
@MoS what is your concentration and what internships etc. have you done between your first and second year?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts