Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Best school for PE in Asia

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Post MBA goal = PE - Yale Vs Booth Vs MIT Vs INSEAD [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club, I guess, glad we were able to finally convince you to sign up and register, at the very end of your journey! :lol:

Congratulations on your admits and good luck with the selection - looks like quite a spread.
I can't talk about recruiting in AP but in the US, Yale is the weakest of all your programs/schools. Sorry to rain on the parade here. MIT does a ton of Finance research has a stronger connection with PE and experimental/theoretical finance stuff. Booth does even more focusing on Finance, PE, Asset management, etc but Booth's name is not as well known as MIT's. So my immediate gut feel would be MIT. What draws you to Yale?

P.S. I have no idea about INSEAD in PE. They are killers in consulting and very strong in Asia with a campus in Singapore but I have no idea bout PE/Finance. It is a 1-year program... The only I believe out of all of your other options. Does that help or hurt you?

Thanks bb, yes i am finally part of the GMATClub family :)

Yes, I agree with you! MIT seems to stand out, but it is difficult for me to reach out MIT alumni in PE...
Yale brand is very strong in Asia, with its center in Beijing. I read some articles describing how collaborative and approachable alumni are
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
With the objective of being in PE and no direct route available, you need to understand what MBA brand will catapult you to a PE firm in Asia.

I know a lot of people on this forum will disagree with me here, but I think I have an approach for you.

So this will be a two step process: The approach here should be to start (post MBA job) in IB and then leverage the IB experience + MBA brand to move to PE in Asia.

Now that you know that Yale has better brand value than the other schools... get an MBA from Yale, get an IB job from there and then leverage the IB experience + Yale MBA to get your dream PE job.

If you look at BlackStone (among the largest PE firms), most have an MBA, then they worked in IB and then they transitioned to PE.
That could be your path to PE.

Yale has a sizable number going to IB. So you can’t go wrong with Yale, can you do better - sure, but you need an MBA brand that’s recognized in Asia
Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the insight!
I am already in a private equity firm now in Europe, going to IB means a step back for me. Do you think it is worth it?
I am in the industry for almost 2 years and worked with IB associate on certain deals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
If you’re already working in PE in Europe, can’t you make a move to a PE firm based in Asia with your experience?
Do you even need an MBA?
I was looking at international recruiting at Yale, about 35% international employment is in Asia, so if you decide to do an MBA, Yale might even get you the PE role you want in Asia

Intern
Intern
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
If you’re already working in PE in Europe, can’t you make a move to a PE firm based in Asia with your experience?
Do you even need an MBA?
I was looking at international recruiting at Yale, about 35% international employment is in Asia, so if you decide to do an MBA, Yale might even get you the PE role you want in Asia

Thank you JohnJohnJ!
I am thinking long term, as people often reach the glass ceiling and only get promoted with the MBA.
In my view, it is now or never for the MBA

By the way, thanks for your analysis! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Post MBA goal = PE - Yale Vs Booth Vs MIT Vs INSEAD [#permalink]
I know at least one acquaintance who went to Bain Capital from Yale, but he was in Boston. Not sure how many go to Asia from Yale.

Wait, I know someone who went to Carlyle too

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I don't know that the Blackstone PE folks have all gone through IB arm to work in Asia or US. I will research that; I know a number of them just have to dig out the contacts.... it just seems a very circuitous way for no specific reason. Why?

I would do a few things:
1. Research your companies and see if you can spot a pattern
2. See if any of them have gone to Booth, Sloan, Yale, or Insead
3. If they have, contact them and tell them about your dilemma - it is a perfect networking informational interview opportunity. They may even offer you to get in touch for internship next year. it is very low risk for them, and many would love to talk about their career.

P.S. I am still going with Sloan/Booth. I can't see Yale outplacing either of these programs by a mile. There is a not very exact but generally telling ranking of MBA programs by industry that US News does and to give you an idea, Booth is #2, MIT Sloan is #5, and Yale is #39. These rankings are not precise but they give you a bit of a perspective of how much attention finance gets at Yale. You can do some LinkedIn research but even looking at the stupid employment reports, the base salary range for finance, the high marks are:
Booth: $250K
Sloan: $230K
Yale: $175K

Don't you think it is suspicious for a program to be ranked #39 in Finance and have the lowest base salary for the top finance placements? Perhaps this does indicate it is a notch or two behind the other two programs?

I have nothing against Yale but it seems to be the weakest of these programs in the US in any Financial area, esp in the high end of the IB, asset management, and PE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Send PM
While I don’t work with rankings, but I broadly agree with BB.
I think the challenge remains that Yale is recognized in Asia and Booth and Sloan aren’t. So you either send missionaries to Asia and convert them or take the path of least resistant, accept things and achieve your objectives goals playing by the rules of the game in Asia

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Very grateful to have answer from both of you BB and JohnJohnJ!
I will follow your recommendation and dig deeper too from my own.

Happy Holidays!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I ended up choosing MIT! Future Sloanie :D
Thanks all for the help
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MartRob wrote:
I ended up choosing MIT! Future Sloanie :D
Thanks all for the help

Awesome!!! Congratulations! Super happy you made the decision!

PS. You will be going in with Arro44. :-)

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Looking forward to virtually meet you end during our AdMIT weekend. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts