Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [74]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [3]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication [#permalink]
stolyar wrote:
Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was an instant hit, helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(A) Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was an instant hit, helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(B) The publication in 1899 of "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: in six months they sold several hundred thousand copies and it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(C) Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication of"Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899, which was an instant hit: it sold several hundred thousand copies in six months.

(D) "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtimecomposer, published in 1899 and selling several hundred thousand copies in six months.

(E) Published in 1899, "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit, selling several hundred thousand copies in six months: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

Hey all, do we have an OA for this one? I will go with E, but between A and E it is really a tough call. Is it because the publication can't to the selling? Do we have a confirmation for this?
Experts please advice @mikemcgarry

Cheers
J :)
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication [#permalink]
Kudos
Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was an instant hit, helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(A) Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was an instant hit, helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer. --- ing modifier is modifying the publication (the public release of "Maple..." not correct.

(B) The publication in 1899 of "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: in six months they sold several hundred thousand copies and it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer. Pronoun ambiguity

(C) Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication of"Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899, which was an instant hit: it sold several hundred thousand copies in six months. Pronoun ambiguity.

the publication of"Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer (looks grammatically correct)

(D) "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer, published in 1899 and selling several hundred thousand copies in six months. -- modifier placement error.

(E) Published in 1899, "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit, selling several hundred thousand copies in six months: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer. -- Subject can not perform the action to become instant hit by selling several thousand copies... use of -ing modifier use is not correct here.

I am not satisfied with any answer choice, I would prefer C to other choices.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I can help! :)

jlgdr wrote:
stolyar wrote:

(A) Selling several hundred thousand copies in six months, the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899 was an instant hit, helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(B) The publication in 1899 of "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: in six months they sold several hundred thousand copies and it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

(C) Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication of"Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899, which was an instant hit: it sold several hundred thousand copies in six months.

(D) "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer, published in 1899 and selling several hundred thousand copies in six months.

(E) Published in 1899, "Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit, selling several hundred thousand copies in six months: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer.

Hey all, do we have an OA for this one? I will go with E, but between A and E it is really a tough call. Is it because the publication can't to the selling? Do we have a confirmation for this?
Experts please advice @mikemcgarry

Cheers
J :)

J, you are correct here. We have to toss out (A) because of the modification error. A "publication" can't "sell" something. A "publication" is something that is sold, but it can't actually sell itself. We need a person or a company to do that.

Between all the choices here, (E) is the best that we have.

@ PiyushK: You thought that (C) might be better but think about how awkward and cumbersome the beginning of the sentence is:

"Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication of"Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899"

This is a really bad way to phrase this idea. There is a long gerund phrase in the subject position of the sentence, and the verb in the sentence is not active at all. We have the very bland and boring "was." You would want to reject this sentence. :)

@JusTLucK04: You are correct that there is no issue with "of" in answer choice (A). We have to throw out (A) for other reasons.

@ronr34: You bring up a good point, but the use of colon is this way is acceptable. What follows the colon is logically related to what came before it. Typically, a colon proves, explains, defines, describes, or lists elements of what preceded it. In this case it shows a result of what preceded, and although it is not typical, it is acceptable. :)

I hope that I have been able to shed some light on some of your questions. :)
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Kevin,

I think -ing modifier is not appropriate in option E; the way it is trying to modify the preceding clause and its subject is not acceptable in correct GMAT answer.

"Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit, selling several hundred thousand copies in six months.

Following is the snippet from one of the incorrect official sentence.
at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

use of -ing modifier is considered incorrect though a proper subject ancestor is present, but ancestor can't reduce their own numbers. Similarly, in option E "Maple Leaf Rag" can't even qualify as a subject that can sell anything. Thus, IMO it is not appropriate to use -ing modifier in option E.

This question is from 1000SC, not a reliable source.

Is it possible to see such type of use of -ing modifier in real GMAT in correct answer ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great question! Thanks for pushing me, and everyone, to think more carefully about this question.

PiyushK wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I think -ing modifier is not appropriate in option E; the way it is trying to modify the preceding clause and its subject is not acceptable in correct GMAT answer.

"Maple Leaf Rag" was an instant hit, selling several hundred thousand copies in six months.

Following is the snippet from one of the incorrect official sentence.

at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

use of -ing modifier is considered incorrect though a proper subject ancestor is present, but ancestor can't reduce their own numbers. Similarly, in option E "Maple Leaf Rag" can't even qualify as a subject that can sell anything. Thus, IMO it is not appropriate to use -ing modifier in option E.

This question is from 1000SC, not a reliable source.

Is it possible to see such type of use of -ing modifier in real GMAT in correct answer ?

First, I didn't realize this was a question from 1000SC. That is definitely troubling, and possibly a reason why there is so much discussion around this question. It is so so so important to use quality resources for your preparation.

When I first analyzed the answer choices, I was looking at why the other answer choices were wrong and confirming that each one was in fact wrong. I didn't even notice the issue that you pointed out! :P

So there is definitely a modification error here. You are correct that a book can sell. Only people and companies can do that. This is the same reason we had to throw out answer choice (A).

With that establish as an actual ambiguity and modification error, I think we are left with (C) as the best answer. Some people have mentioned that (C) is wrong because of the use of "which" but this is actually acceptable. When an essential phrase is placed between the modifying phrase and the thing being modified, there is no error. The date of publication is one such essential phrase. So the "which" phrase does properly modify "Maple Leaf Rag."

But again, (C) is quite an awkward formulation as I mentioned before. That was my initial hesitation. It almost looks like passive voice, but it is not. Since it doesn't contain any grammar errors, we would have to choose (C) as the best answer. But I don't like it one bit. This is a troublesome choice, and considering the source of the question, we should probably throw it out and not use it for our GMAT prep.

I think that all the confusion in this thread and in other threads shows us that this is a problematic question!

Thank you for your astute analysis, PiyushK!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
But Kevin here in C the which is modifying the year 1980..in 1980 is clearly avoidable and can be moved ahead of the name of the book to clear any ambiguity

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
But Kevin here in C the which is modifying the year 1980..in 1980 is clearly avoidable and can be moved ahead of the name of the book to clear any ambiguity

Thanks for the question!

First, let me say again that this question is subpar and not a good tool for your prep. We've mentioned a lot or problems with the answer choices, and I think it is safe to say that this is not a question that you should use for your prep. That means, no one should waste their mental energy trying to understand the question.

With that being said, JusTLucK04, I'll try to address your question best I can.

Usually, you would be correct. For modification, we have to obey the touch rule. But as with most rules of English grammar, exceptions exist. For modification, we don't always have to obey the touch rule. If the thing being modified and the modifier are separated by an essential phrase, then there is no error. By essential phrase, I mean a collection of words that are essential to identifying something. Without the essential phrase, the meaning will change.

In this case, the phrase "in 1899" is an essential phrase describing "Maple Leaf Rag." Now we don't have a lot of context here, and again it is important to remember that this is very, very bad question, but ultimately, the prepositional phrase is essential to knowing what "Maple Leaf Rag" the author is talking about. If we remove the date, then we don't know what "Maple Leaf Rag" is under discussion.

Does that make sense?

For more info on the exception to the modification rule, our GMAT guru, Mike McGarry, wrote an article on this concept. He refers to them as Vital modifiers and discusses the exception to the touch rule:

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Also, Manhattan Prep has a nice article on Appositives and Modification. Not perfectly applicable to this poor question, but a good rule to know about:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/g ... itives.cfm

I hope that this helps clarify your question. And remember, there are many issues with this question, and we shouldn't spend time dwelling on its issues.

Happy studying! :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Sure Kevin..just wanted to reinforce my concepts on this rule..as you said: it is a vital modifier- agreed
Now if the vital modifier can be placed such that the touch rule is not disobeyed ..publication in 1989 of Maple ..such a construction in C is a plausible construction and it does not make us flout the touch rule either..so is C considered correct even though the vital modifier can be placed in multiple ways...and one of which (not in the option) adheres to the touch rule

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Howdy! :) Let's dive deeper!

JusTLucK04 wrote:
Sure Kevin..just wanted to reinforce my concepts on this rule..as you said: it is a vital modifier- agreed

Now if the vital modifier can be placed such that the touch rule is not disobeyed ..publication in 1989 of Maple ..such a construction in C is a plausible construction and it does not make us flout the touch rule either

I agree that if a sentence can be reworked to maintain the touch rule, it should be reworked. Here is the sentence:

"Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag" in 1899, which was an instant hit: it sold several hundred thousand copies in six months."

You want to know if it can be reworked to this:

"Helping to establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer was the publication in 1899 of "Maple Leaf Rag", which was an instant hit: it sold several hundred thousand copies in six months."

Sure, we can do that. But again, we don't have a lot of great options here. I think that this is better than how (C) is phrased and the error in the touch rule in (C) is not as bad as the modification error in (E), even though I think (E) has more going for it.

JusTLucK04 wrote:
..so is C considered correct even though the vital modifier can be placed in multiple ways...and one of which (not in the option) adheres to the touch rule

Again, you should not think about what is the "correct" answer here. This is like a broken down and dilapidated house, and we are going around changing the broken lightbulbs, thinking that it will change the house. The house is still dirty. It still has broken windows and holes in the wall. There isn't even electricity or water running in the house! Changing the lightbulbs doesn't make any difference. So I can't answer the question, "Is (C) correct?" The whole thing should be torn down. We can't think in terms of correct or incorrect when we have a bad question.

If you are asking about how to convey this idea in the best way to avoid any errors, then this is what I would write and what I would look for in an answer choice:

"In a short six month period of 1899, "Maple Leaf Rag" became an instant hit with several hundred thousand copies in print: it helped establish Scott Joplin as the preeminent ragtime composer."

But this is not one of our options.

Does this help?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM