Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [122]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1239 [5]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: 440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
saswata4s, Congratulations buddy. Often found you answering, inquiring and getting into perfection in each question so it is not a surprise that you could hit 730.
your achievement is even more praise worthy because of the difficulties you have overcome.
Wish you all the luck and hopefully would hear good news on your application front.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:
saswata4s

Hey buddy, thank you so much for taking time out and writing
such an inspirational debrief. I had no idea that you started
with such a low score and had such a gigantic jump. This truly reflects
your dedication, persistence and willingness to tame GMAT.

You mixed ideal quotient of exercises and breathing exercises to calm
nerves, an aspect which lots of us underestimate. A regular and disciplined
chores of incorporating them for few minutes does help a lot on the D day.

It is lot unfortunate, and to be honest painful to see such a drama on D day
for your second attempt. I think, for most of students especially in Indian subcontinent ,
the ideal decision to be taken in similar circumstances is to opt for a retake. To focus mind
back after any sort of distractions is extremely difficult, and given clock ticking by does not do one
any good.

Thanks adkikani for your kind words. I myself never thought that I could keep my focus for so long. When I started, I really struggled to keep myself focused on my routine. However, slowly I developed the habit. Also I read how many people aced the GMAT only in two months. Many people are good at adaptive tests. But I am not one of them and I had to go through the whole exercise thoroughly like rest of the others.
And yes, had I completed the 2nd test, I feel I would score 690-710. But everything happens for a reason :-) .

adkikani wrote:
I would appreciate if your could elaborate more on your learnings from three attempts
and three online courses (hopefully you paid for only two). Your tips on verbal are spot on, and would be glad
if you could incorporate any timing strategy you used for quant, if any.

I think each courses has its pros and cons. I started my preparation with Magoosh. Magoosh has some good quant tutorials and Mike Mcgarry explained many tough math concepts such as permutation and combinations, probability in a very simplified manner. also he has some good videos on mental math and those really helped me warm up at the beginning of my preparation. But I feel the verbal section is not that detailed, especially in SC and can be improved a lot.

Coming to eGMAT, they have a very good and through course in SC. I dont know about CR and RC because I didnt buy those. As I already mentioned, I had good understanding on noun, verb and modifier and I only studied Pronoun, Parallelism, Comparison and Idiom from eGMAT in one month. Though I had a decent understanding in those areas, half of my error logs were full of these questions and eGMAT really helped me solidify my concepts in these areas and improve my accuracy. The warm up quiz after each section really helps you to absorb better and retain the concept. Also I found Scholaranium very helpful. In Scholaranium I found some really long passages (longer than long GMAC passage) and practicing those helped me improve my timing in RC. But I feel eGMAT’s CRs are tougher than actual GMAT CR and I just practiced lightly from this section and didn’t pay much attention to the questions I felt too tough.

EMPOWERgmat has good tutorials in CR and RC but the SC section is not that good. The CR box helps you to build a proper approach to solve the CR questions. However, I feel it takes more time to draw the box and take notes, and even though it is good for practice, it is not a feasible approach in actual GMAT (at least for me). EMPOWERgmat has some good and detailed explanation and strategy about how to approach the different RC questions and I think it is the clear winner on RC. And even though I practiced long passages from eGMAT Scholaranium, I mainly followed EMPOWERgmat’s strategy and guidance. Also I feel that the time and stress management tips are really helpful and teach you how you handle the stress and time during actual exam.

To be honest, during my last GMAT I mainly focused on verbal and didn’t practice quant at all. After each Mock I just reviewed the flagged and wrong ones and that’s all I did in quant. I never struggled in quant in my three GMATs and always finished before time. But I make a lot of silly mistakes. In first two GMAT I consistently scored Q49 and I knew Q49 to Q50 and Q50 to Q51 requires lots of work, and I decided to rather spend that time on verbal.

adkikani wrote:
One more interesting aspect - Indian Engineer with IT background - choosing verbal first is a paradox for me.
Any Indian would love to see a number property question first on screen rather than a dreaded RC (worst case scenario)
on screen on D day. Any thoughts that propelled you to take this call?

Any day I would choose verbal first. It’s the toughest section for me and I like to get it done when my mind is fresh, and my brain is active and less fatigued.
Since beginning, I always struggled to complete the verbal section. One reason was time management, and the other reason was after spending the first 2 hours in exam, I felt fatigued and less focused. Since the time of my first GMAT I always thought why the verbal section comes after quant, and why not before. And to my surprise, when GMAC announced its new options, it was a real treat for me :-) .

adkikani wrote:
Would love to see (I) converted to (A) above your GMAT score sooner and wishing you all the best for your future endeavors.
Do keep us informed where you finally land in ;)

Thanks for your wishes buddy. The deadlines are coming close. Finger crossed. :-) ;)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
saswata4s

Wonderful debrief Saswata4s. Thanks for the detailed strategy on verbal. I am also selecting the V- Q section orders in my practice tests for the same reason you had mentioned. I like to finish off the verbal section when my brain is fresh. I am glad to know that has worked for out for you.

All the very best for your applications.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
ashishmishra06 wrote:
hi saswata4s i am exactly in the same position where you began i am at 430 with the gmat free tests
struggling badly with RC
few quant concepts like permutations combinations probability are still not clear to me
CR i am just trying to guess the answers
SC i feel my accuracy is around 70 % ... will definitely take all your inputs..cheers

Consider checking out Manhattan-Prep's 6th Edition for SC and CR. Consider also regularly reading articles from the The Economist.

How to do well on Reading Comprehension. 3 Quick tips
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [0]
Send PM
Shenaz wrote:
Nice to know your story..Congratulations

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thanks Shenaz :-)
Current Student
Send PM
akadiyan wrote:
saswata4s

Wonderful debrief Saswata4s. Thanks for the detailed strategy on verbal. I am also selecting the V- Q section orders in my practice tests for the same reason you had mentioned. I like to finish off the verbal section when my brain is fresh. I am glad to know that has worked for out for you.

All the very best for your applications.

Thanks akadiyan and best of luck for you too! :thumbup:
Current Student
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
saswata4s - That is some inspirational stuff, especially for older candidates(Me included)
As you rightly pointed out, the first few weeks of preparation are the toughest. The first mock
is always hardest to take, especially when you have pretty much given up studying for a good
period of time. Kudos to you for getting around the failed attempts and eventually tasting success!

I have a lot of issues with anxiety, which I feel do not let me perform to my potential. I intend to
start working on the strategies that you have suggested to get rid of anxiety. All the best with
your application journey and hope you get into your first choice school.

Thanks pushpitkc for your kind words. Throughout my journey I realized that its really important to keep your body and mind healthy and away from exam and outside world anxiety to perform at your best! Best of luck for your next GMAT! :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 460 Q31 V21
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Thank you saswata4s for your inspiring post, I am just in the same situation, with more than 10 years out of school and extensive work demands, I am currently in my 1.5 year of GMAT study. I restarted my study routine this week and plan to nail the concepts before jumping into exam strategies.
For some reason, I am getting much lower score in verbal than what I actually deserve. and your post came just at the right time to show me the light at the end of the tunnel.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks spetznaz andCAdream :-). Best of luck for your preparation :thumbup: !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congrats on 730!!!

A great Brief Indeed!!!All the very best for your applications.

pushpitkc older candidates I'm with you bro ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
saswata4s thank you for the detailed debrief. I too struggle with verbal section since I am not a native speaker .. your post is very inspiring.

All the best for applications.

P.S -So what if you got your dream score? You can still stay connected with GMAT exam by being active on the GMAT club even if you may not want to appear again... :-)
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks a lot chetan2u, Gladiator59, and NandishSS :-) ! Gladiator59, and NandishSS, best of luck for your preparation :thumbup: .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
saswata4s Congras mate.

Which CR videos did you look at? Ron's archives only show CR- Ass/Weak and Strengthen.
The egmat pre thinking method doesn't really work for me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [2]
Send PM