Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 07:44 It is currently 11 May 2024, 07:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3627 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A 400 score after 4 months of studying with a private tutor. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi DeliaDavidow,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. You have managed to raise your score 100-200 points though, which is still a nice accomplishment. I'd like to know a bit more about how you studied and about Test Day itself:

1) What is your goal score?
2) What practice materials did you use?
3) What was your first CAT score?
4) On your Official GMAT, what were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?

5) When you took your CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
6) On your Official GMAT, did you have trouble finishing any of the sections?
7) On Test Day, did you leave any questions unanswered?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you can train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
DeliaDavidow wrote:
The subject says it all.

I'm wondering where I went wrong, in what ways I could improve my studying efficiency, or if it's even worth trying again.

I began my GMAT journey in March of this year. I was scoring in the 200's on practice tests, so I thought that getting a tutor would be more beneficial than studying on my own. Four months and thousands of dollars later while working two jobs to make ends meet, a 400 was a result. The whole time I was taking the test, I was thinking "oh hell yes, I got this". I was familiar with almost every question, although the reading comprehension passages were extremely difficult for me to grasp and data sufficiency questions involving integers were hard to process. The practice tests I took this month alone were all in the 500's which was in the range of the score I wanted so I went into the test room feeling confident.

I guess I'm just really looking for advice, maybe words of encouragement. Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you handle the defeat? Will a school even look at my application with a 400 test score?

Sincerely,
Slightly heartbroken and defeated as F
:cry:

This has happened to a lot of people - you're not alone. It's worth trying again if you really want this. No good school will look at your application with a sub-600 score - unless you're a famous person. How do you bounce back? Taking some time off.

It's easy to get discouraged here, where people who score 740 want to retake the exam (everyone hates those people). Don't waste any more money with private tutors - hire a cheap online course and you'll see your score improve to at least 600.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A 400 score after 4 months of studying with a private tutor. [#permalink]
Sending you kind regards. You can do it and you aren't alone.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeliaDavidow Have you decided to retake the test?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
I had given a mock test last year and got a score of 400, which i was fine with because, I wasn't really prepared. I just wanted to see where do I stand and what are my weak points.I had only studied verbal and no quant. Still I scored better in quant than verbal.
Now, After a month and a half of rigorous studying of both quant and verbal, I landed up with the same score. I was very disappointed. I dont know what I am doing wrong, how to improve , who to consult?

I have practiced all the OG(2017 and 2018). Can anyone please advise , what can I do to improve my score?Esp verbal?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sthakur24,

To start, you would likely receive more of a response if you start your own post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one). You should include as much relevant information about your studies and timeline as possible. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37408 posts