Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4419 [31]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [7]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619094 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619094 [4]
Send PM
Re: A/B is a fraction such that A and B are co-prime positive [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
A/B is a fraction such that A and B are co-prime positive integers. What can be the value of B such that A/B is not a non-terminating decimal?

(A) 28
(B) 42
(C) 84
(D) 128
(E) More than two answers are correct

Theory:
Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^2\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be the terminating decimal.

We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.

Questions testing this concept:
does-the-decimal-equivalent-of-p-q-where-p-and-q-are-89566.html
any-decimal-that-has-only-a-finite-number-of-nonzero-digits-101964.html
if-a-b-c-d-and-e-are-integers-and-p-2-a3-b-and-q-2-c3-d5-e-is-p-q-a-terminating-decimal-125789.html
700-question-94641.html
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html
pl-explain-89566.html
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619094 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pudu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
A/B is a fraction such that A and B are co-prime positive integers. What can be the value of B such that A/B is not a non-terminating decimal?

(A) 28
(B) 42
(C) 84
(D) 128

A and B are co-prime means that they do not share any common factor but 1.

Thus in order A/B to be a terminating decimal B must be of the form 2^n*5^m. Only D fits.

Answer: D.­­­­

still i didn't understand. 128/5^n2^0 can be terminating. similarly 28/5^n can be terminating. I meant 7/5, 7/25/7/125 etc.

then how we decided it is only 128. please help me

­

The question does not ask to find the value of B. It asks: "What CAN be the value of B such that A/B is not a non-terminating decimal?" Though B can take infinitely many values, from the options provided it can only be 128.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Theory:
For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^2\)

Small correction to the above theory - should be 5^3 (not 5^2).

Thanks for the in-depth post and simple to understand explanation Bunuel!

~ Im2bz2p345 :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

(A) 28
(B) 42
(C) 84
(D) 128

Thus in order A/B to be a terminating decimal B must be of the form 2^n*5^m. Only D fits.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I have a doubt here question is asking A/B to be non terminating decimal here we are saying A/B to be terminating decimal it should be of form 2^n5^m pleae clarify.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619094 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PathFinder007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

(A) 28
(B) 42
(C) 84
(D) 128

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I have a doubt here question is asking A/B to be non terminating decimal here we are saying A/B to be terminating decimal it should be of form 2^n5^m pleae clarify.

Thanks

Please read the question carefully: what can be the value of B such that A/B is not a non-terminating decimal? So, the question asks for such value of B so that A/B will be terminating decimal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
In simpler words, if B has only 2s and or 5s and nothing else in its prime factorization, then A/B will not be a non-terminating decimal.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
clever wordplay with the double negative ---- "... NOT a NON-terminating decimal"

---in other words, IS a Terminating Decimal

if the NUM and DEN are Co-Prime, they do NOT Share Any Prime Bases and the Fraction can not be simplified any further.

Thus, we are looking for an Answer the provides a DEN that has ONLY Prime Bases of: 2 and/or 5

128 = (2)^7

All the other Answers are NOT of the Form: (2)^n * (5)^m ---- in which Exponents n and m = NON-Negative Integers

D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GRE 1: Q166 V157
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The question doesn't make it clear that the value of B has to be from the provided options. I went for E and then realized from the answer explanation that it was to be assumed that you have to limit the answer to provided choices. Any co-prime with 2 & 5 as B would provide you a terminating decimal.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
oldmonkey wrote:
The question doesn't make it clear that the value of B has to be from the provided options. I went for E and then realized from the answer explanation that it was to be assumed that you have to limit the answer to provided choices. Any co-prime with 2 & 5 as B would provide you a terminating decimal.

I see what you’re saying. I think it’s good that a GMAT quant question will never have this kind of ambiguity. I’ve never seen an answer choice worded in such a way as “more than 2 answer are correct.”

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Hello Buenel,
I'm having doubt related to co prime. Question stem is saying a & b are co prime. But we are doing checks whether B contains 2^x *5^y alone. Would you explain a little bit?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619094 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
VijayLisha wrote:
Hello Buenel,
I'm having doubt related to co prime. Question stem is saying a & b are co prime. But we are doing checks whether B contains 2^x *5^y alone. Would you explain a little bit?

I believe this is already explained above. However, here it goes again:

A reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that the fraction is already in its simplest form, so reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as a terminating decimal if and only if the denominator \(b\) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as the denominator \(250\) equals \(2*5^3\). The fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and the denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if the denominator already consists of only 2s and/or 5s, then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example, \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where \(x\), \(n\), and \(m\) are integers) will always be a terminating decimal.

(We need to reduce the fraction in case the denominator has a prime other than 2 or 5, to see whether it can be reduced. For example, the fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as a prime in the denominator, and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

In the original question, we are given that a and b are co-prime, which implies that the fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) is already in its simplest form, so reduced to its lowest term. Therefore, no \(\frac{a}{b}\) where b is not in the form of \(2^n5^m\) could be terminating.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
A/B is a fraction such that A and B are co-prime positive [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

(A) 28
(B) 42
(C) 84
(D) 128

Answer: D.­­­­

still i didn't understand. 128/5^n2^0 can be terminating. similarly 28/5^n can be terminating. I meant 7/5, 7/25/7/125 etc.

then how we decided it is only 128. please help me

GMAT Club Bot
A/B is a fraction such that A and B are co-prime positive [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92921 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts