Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619454 [13]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619454 [9]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31990 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
Re: A drawer contains red socks, black socks, and white socks. What is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Other wrote:
A drawer contains red socks, black socks, and white socks. What is the least number of socks that must be taken out of the drawer to be sure of having 4 matching pairs of socks?

a ) 8
B ) 10
C ) 12
D ) 14
E ) 16

The answer is 10, hence option B.

We need to find 4 matching pair of socks of one color. Take the worst case scenario:

First we pull one red , then one black , then one white. same we repeat for 3 times. Now we have 9 socks but only 3 pairs of of socks. The next socks we pull could be of any of the color and this will make 4th pair.

Red (1, 1,) (1, 1)
Black (1, 1,) 1
White (1,1),1

So total 10.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: A drawer contains red socks, black socks, and white socks. What is the [#permalink]
how many of each type/color of socks are there? If there are 100 of each lets say... then it could so happen that you pull out 100 black socks one after the other n your first 100 tries... how can there be a guarantee of being able to draw 4 pairs unless we know how many of each color are present?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
Kudos
gmat1011 wrote:
how many of each type/color of socks are there? If there are 100 of each lets say... then it could so happen that you pull out 100 black socks one after the other n your first 100 tries... how can there be a guarantee of being able to draw 4 pairs unless we know how many of each color are present?

Question asks 'what is least possible number' so we have to take the above mentioned scenario.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
it is the 'least number' but it is in the same sentence tied to "to be sure" of taking out... if you draw 10 randomly you cannot be sure that you will get 4 pairs - you cannot guarantee that result...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2932 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
gmat1011 wrote:

If you pull 100 black socks one after the other, you'd have 4 pairs after eight draws.

gmat1011 wrote:
it is the 'least number' but it is in the same sentence tied to "to be sure" of taking out... if you draw 10 randomly you cannot be sure that you will get 4 pairs - you cannot guarantee that result...

Yes you would be, thats what has been explained above
Just think of how many you can keep taking out while ensuring no pair is formed.
R, B, W
4th draw, you will form a pair for sure
R
5th you can avoid
R
6th draw will always be a pair in that case
B
7th you aviod
B
8th will be a pair
W
9th you avoid
W
10th draw has to be a pair
R
Manager
Manager
Send PM
but what if there are 30 socks of each color - the question doesn't mention how many there are of each. then worse case in your first 10 draws you may pick 10 blacks socks in a row without forming a pair. how can you be sure of forming pairs?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2932 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
gmat1011 wrote:
but what if there are 30 socks of each color - the question doesn't mention how many there are of each. then worse case in your first 10 draws you may pick 10 blacks socks in a row without forming a pair. how can you be sure of forming pairs?

I think you are interpreting this question incorrectly. As soon as you draw 2 black socks you have a pair. So if there are only black socks, with every two you keep forming a pair and you will be done in just 8 socks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks - yes, wasnt reading it correctly. kudos to you both. thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Even I got but not convienced much since I hv consider that first 3 picks -3 diff colors...then onwards I solved it to get the and 10 but y should I assume as my first 3draws of diff colors??

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2932 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
vitamingmat wrote:
Even I got but not convienced much since I hv consider that first 3 picks -3 diff colors...then onwards I solved it to get the and 10 but y should I assume as my first 3draws of diff colors??

Posted from my mobile device

Its a "greedy" way of solving the problem. You need to find the maximum number of ways, in order to do this you pick socks in a way such that it takes the maximum number of picks to form pairs. In order to do this you delay forming pairs as much as you can. If you choose any other way of picking the first three socks (all same OR two same one different) after three picks you already have a pair, but if you choose 3 different socks, you have no pairs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [2]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM