Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619487 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4099 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn [#permalink]
Would the answer still be B if Question Stem read 'and' instead of 'or'? A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn from the jar at random, what is the probability that it will be either a nickel or and a quarter?

Could we still subtract it from 1 in S2 to get the same answer?

I'm a little confused here, any links to this would be of help.

chetan2u Bunuel KarishmaB ScottTargetTestPrep
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31993 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn [#permalink]
Expert Reply
prakashb2497 wrote:
Would the answer still be B if Question Stem read 'and' instead of 'or'? A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn from the jar at random, what is the probability that it will be either a nickel or and a quarter?

Hey
You may be wanting to ask something else.
You can’t change OR to AND. It will not make any sense.
How can one coin be both a nickel and a quarter ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
Re: A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
prakashb2497 wrote:

Hey
You may be wanting to ask something else.
You can’t change OR to AND. It will not make any sense.
How can one coin be both a nickel and a quarter ?

Oh. Fair enough, when you look at it logically, my question doesn't make sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

If there were P of two events occuring together, P (A & B), would subtracting 1-P(A & B) yield P of (C)?

Evidently, from the above question, 1-P(A or B)= P (C), so I know the same won't be for P(A & B) but I don't fully understand the logic and there's some gap.

Could you help me understand this or point to relevant resources to bridge the gap?

Thanks in advance chetan2u
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64955 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prakashb2497 wrote:

I am not sure what your question is but this is the relation between or and and:

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

We subtract P(A and B) because it is counted twice - once in P(A) and then in P(B).
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
A jar contains only nickels, dimes, and quarters. If a coin is drawn [#permalink]
Expert Reply
prakashb2497 wrote:

In this question, the events A (nickels), B (dimes), and C (quarters) are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. Mutually exclusive means those events cannot happen at the same time, which implies P(A or B or C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C). For events which are not mutually exclusive, the formula for P(A or B or C) is much more complicated. Collectively exhaustive means it is not possible to observe any outcome other than these three events.

The reason we get P(C) when we subtract 1 - P(A or B) has to with these properties. Since the three events are collectively exhaustive, P(A or B or C) = 1. Since they are mutually exclusive, P(A or B or C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C), which in turn means P(A) + P(B) + P(C) = 1. From this equation, you can see that 1 - P(A) - P(B) = 1 - P(A or B) = P(C). It is also true that 1 - P(C) = P(A) + P(B) = P(A or B).

This would no longer be true if you had another coin, say a penny, in the jar. If D is the even that the randomly drawn coin is a penny, then 1 - P(A or B) is no longer equal to P(C), but it is equal to P(C or D). Also, 1 - P(C) is no longer equal to P(A or B), but it is equal to P(A or B or D).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92959 posts