Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: A recent survey of brand preferences showed that R-Bar Beans are consi [#permalink]
nahid007 wrote:
A recent survey of brand preferences showed that
R-Bar Beans are considered the best of all brands
among all age groups, leading both Texas T Beans
and Aunt Sally’s Beans by a wide margin. However,
the national sales figures show that Texas T and Aunt
Sally’s each sold many more cans of beans last year
than did R-Bar.
Each of the following would, by itself, help to resolve
the apparent paradox described in the passage
EXCEPT:
(A) Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans are each
much less expensive than R-Bar Beans.
(B) Some of the surveyed age groups showed more
of a preference for R-Bar Beans than did
others.
(C) The survey was carried out only in the small
geographic area where R-Bar distributes its
beans, not nationwide.
(D) Most food stores refuse to carry R-Bar Beans
because the manufacturer demands that RBar Beans be carried exclusively.
(E) R-Bar Beans were only introduced to the
market three months prior to the calculation
of sales figures, while Texas T Beans and Aunt
Sally’s Beans had been available for years.

+1 for B..
A-may be people buy more number of cans of Texas T beans as it is not much expensive....
B-correct
C-Survey is flawed.
D-May be most food store does not contain R bar beans, and people ends up buying non preferred one most of the times.
E-Sales figure of R bar bean--consider only 3 months sale...other consider annual sale.

My take is B....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: A recent survey of brand preferences showed that R-Bar Beans are consi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
let us simplify the argument first -

Survey -
R-bar beans are considered best brand, leading both T-beans and Aunt Sally's beans

However,
T-beans and Aunt Sally's beans have higher sales than R-bar beans.

The correct answer should explain why R-bar beans are the best brand even though they have lower sales.

Option A - Incorrect.
this can explain the paradox, i.e. can explain why the sales of T-beans and Sally's beans are higher.

Option B - Correct.
If they showed more preference for R-beans, then this does not explain why R-beans have lower sales. Worsens the paradox.

Option C - Incorrect
Explains the paradox. Suggests that the survey was biased and hence it indicated that the R-bar beans is the best brand.

Option D - Incorrect
Explains why the sales of R-bar beans might be low compared to those of other brands.

Option E - Incorrect.
Suggests that consumers might not be aware of R-bar beans. Hence, the lower sales.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
HimanshuW11 nightblade354 VeritasKarishma pikolo2510 GMATNinja generis

Can you advise how do we link sales with customers' preferences?
Do not we link sales with either revenue, profit or no of units sold?

Quote:
A recent survey of brand preferences showed that R-Bar Beans are considered the best of all brands among all age groups, leading both Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans by a wide margin. However, the national sales figures show that Texas T and Aunt Sally’s each sold many more cans of beans last year than did R-Bar.

Situation 1 : R is best among all ; It leads T and AS by good margin
Situation 2: T and AS sell more volume of cans than R.

paradox: If people prefer R, why are sales figures down for R?
CROSS out that resolves the paradox

Quote:
(E) R-Bar Beans were only introduced to the market three months prior to the calculation of sales figures, while Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans had been available for years.

How is the entry of a particular brand say RB here relevant to resolving the paradox?
We already know that in the spite of late entry, RB is much liked than others.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
adkikani wrote:
HimanshuW11 nightblade354 VeritasKarishma pikolo2510 GMATNinja generis
Quote:
A recent survey of brand preferences showed that R-Bar Beans are considered the best of all brands among all age groups, leading both Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans by a wide margin. However, the national sales figures show that Texas T and Aunt Sally’s each sold many more cans of beans last year than did R-Bar.

Situation 1 : R is best among all ; It leads T and AS by good margin
Situation 2: T and AS sell more volume of cans than R.

paradox: If people prefer R, why are sales figures down for R?
CROSS out that resolves the paradox
Quote:
(E) R-Bar Beans were only introduced to the market three months prior to the calculation of sales figures, while Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans had been available for years.

How is the entry of a particular brand say RB here relevant to resolving the paradox?

EDIT: I misunderstood one of your questions. I have corrected my response.

adkikani - I think you may have gotten turned around between understanding what you correctly described as the paradox:
Quote:
If people prefer R, why are sales figures down for R?

and the logic contained in answer (E).

Option E - you wrote:
Quote:

The timing of the entry of brand R is relevant because timing explains the low sales.

Brand R has the lowest sales figures because:
1) it could report only three months' of data. S and T reported twelve months' of sales data; and

2) in contrast to S and T that "had been available for years," R is a new product. New products do not usually enter the market with explosive sales (unless they are a one-off -- thank you Bob Woodward).

Armed with this information, now we should not be surprised that R's sales are much lower than those of S and T.

You mentioned that:
Quote:

I am not sure, but I think the apparent deepening of the paradox hijacked you.

This option says that DESPITE late entry, R's ratings are still the highest. The paradox seemingly just got worse -- until we discover the effect that R's newness had on sales.

Your mind took a natural but erroneous turn. It seems as if you imagined preference to be a causative force, i.e., thought that the "most preferred" status would cause R's sales figures to be the highest.

"Preference" does not have that much power. It can't produce sales and it can't fix the faulty methodology of comparing three months' of sales reporting to twelve. Preference is merely a consumer's report of what, ideally, she or he would most prefer to have. "Preference for" does not inevitably equal "purchase of."

R has the lowest sales because it is new. If you disagree, I'd like to understand why.

This question

We have a confounding situation. R's ratings are the highest but R's sales figures are the lowest. R seems like a market aberration.

Four answers will explain why this weird situation has occurred or will illustrate that the inconsistency is not as it appears to be. We must choose the answer that neither explains nor clarifies the oddity.
Quote:
Can you advise how do we link sales with customers' preferences?

We don't link them.
Preferences and sales are UNlinked in the prompt, and we leave them unlinked.

Rather than trying to link preferences to sales, we need to find options that explain why preferences and sales are not linked.

Four answers, ready-made, will shed light on the anomalous disconnection. One answer will not.
Quote:
Do not we link sales with either revenue, profit or no of units sold?

No. We don't care about measuring, predicting, or defining sales. Neither the question nor the options point in that direction.

I can't tell why you got attached to the idea of connecting preferences with sales. My experience with paradox and disparity questions indicates that we should avoid highly specific lines of thought. There are too many ways to explain an oddity. Let the options do the work for you.

We care about what does and does not explain the odd relationship between high ratings and low sales.

Instead of being attached to a particular result we can ask about each option, "Does this answer help resolve the paradox or not?"

(A) Texas T Beans and Aunt Sally’s Beans are each much less expensive than R-Bar Beans. [a.k.a. Wal-Mart takes over the world :o ]

--Helps explain. Comparatively, R is too expensive. People may like R the most, but they either cannot or will not pay THAT much more for R than for S and T. High price => low demand => low sales. Mystery explained.

(B) Some of the surveyed age groups showed more of a preference for R-Bar Beans than did others.
-- Neither helps nor hurts (nor does anything except evoke a "WTH?" from me). This one is a gift. (B) is not relevant to anything -- never mind that (B) cannot resolve why R has the highest ratings and the lowest sales. If this option is not the answer I'm returning my law degree and demanding a refund.

(C) The survey was carried out only in the small geographic area where R-Bar distributes its beans, not nationwide.
-- Helps explain. Misrepresentative survey. The small survey did not reflect national preferences AND was tilted toward an area-specific high preference for R. Sales figures are nationwide. The survey was not. The data are skewed and do not match. Mystery solved.

(D) Most food stores refuse to carry R-Bar Beans because the manufacturer demands that R-Bar Beans be carried exclusively.
-- Helps resolve. If most stores don't carry brand R, low sales are now explained. People cannot buy what grocers do not sell.

-- Helps explain. Sales data are either not representative or just a dumb yardstick by which to measure R against S and T. R is too new and has had too few months to report sales data.

So we have
(A) R is comparatively too expensive (high price drives sales down);
(C) too-small and biased survey about preferences
(D) R is not even offered for sale in most stores
(E) R has three months' of sales data. S and T had 12 months of data. Comparatively low sales of R now make sense.

Those 4 answers do not try to uncouple R's high ratings from R's low sales figures. They give a reason for the gap's existence or show that the gap is only an appearance.

We needed one answer that did not help to explain R brand as a seeming market misfit.

(B) is that answer.

Hope that helps. :)

Many thanks for Omnihelpful great analytical explanation ! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
This is a flawed argument in which author relates the popularity of a product with it's sales.
In the real world and the GMAT world alike, this may not be the case. A product may be considered the best in business with relatively poor sales.
A classical example that comes to my mind is that of a popular brand of floaters.
That brand say 'x' appeals to the teenagers, but is not bought by most of them because of it's cost. Though popular, it's not purchased because of cost.
A - this is what I discussed above - INCORRECT
C -this indicates that the survey was probably not representative. - INCORRECT
D - this explains the reason behind the low sales of R- beans. - INCORRECT
E - this explains that the comparison between the sales figures was premature. - INCORRECT
B - CORRECT

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts