Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [43]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32058 [10]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: A special deck of cards has 3 each of 8 different cards. The deck has [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Dorsano505 wrote:
A special deck of cards has 3 each of 8 different cards. The deck has been shuffled so that the cards are randomly distributed. If 3 nonmatching cards are dealt, what is the probability that dealing 2 more cards will result in at least one matching pair of the same cards with the original 3 dealt cards or 3 of the same card?

A) 1/8

B) 1/3

C) 1/5

D) 3/8

E) 1/2

** Saw a long explanation for this problem by adding up the probabilities. Looking for a solution that uses the complement (1-P). Thanks!

Hi..
The shorter way would be..
We are left with 3*8-3=21 cards.
Ways of picking the other two different from original 3 is 15*14, as we remove the remaining 2 of these original 3, and thus 21-6= 15 are left.
Total ways = ways of picking 2 out of 21=21*20..

Hence probability of not similar to original 3= \(\frac{15*14}{21*20}\)=1/2..
So probability we are looking for = 1-P= 1-1/2=1/2

E

That makes perfect sense. When I tried to do it I for got that I need to reduce 15 to 14 and 21 to 20 because there was not replacement. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 934 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: A special deck of cards has 3 each of 8 different cards. The deck has [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A special deck of cards has 3 each of 8 different cards. The deck has been shuffled so that the cards are randomly distributed. If 3 nonmatching cards are dealt, what is the probability that dealing 2 more cards will result in at least one matching pair of the same cards with the original 3 dealt cards or 3 of the same card?

First lets understand the question :
- A deck of cards has 3 cards of EACh of 8 DIFFERENT cards >> assume 8 different colors (you can color code the cards ,ie, 3 cards of yellow color...3 cards of green color...)
so total number of cards is 24 (3*8)
-action already done: 3 cards of NON MATCHING cards are dealth (this mean 1 card of yellow 1 card of red and 1 card of green are selected)
- 2 cards are RANDOMLY DRAWN (please not that we are not given that the cards are replaced ..so assume that the remaining cards are 21) . From this 21 cards we have to select such 2 cards that atleast 1 of the cards selected will match with color of any of the earlier (3 cards) . OR we select such 2 cards from the 21 that when considered with earlier 3 cards will form 3 same colors.
For eg : first case - earlier 3 cards : yellow /blue/red
now i select 2 acrds and from that atleast one the cards will be of same color : yellow/blue/red .....note that we can get 2 pairs of colors also
second case : earlier 3 cards : Y/B/R
i seleted 2 : these 2 will be of same color ie Y/Y ..and these two will match with one of the earlier colors Y

SO we have to find the probability of case 1 +case 2
soliution :
Here going the conventional form is tidious ...so we use (1-P)

We will slect such 2 cards that they are not from the GROUP of any of the arlier thre cards...ie we will not select any cards from Y/B/R...we want any color but these...

Sample space : we have 21 cards left and we will slect 2 cards from these. (here we cannot exempt the group that we do not want as these are also the possibilities ) = 21C2 = 210

event : as we do not wajt any card from the same group of earlier 3 cards we will subtrat those groups from 21 cards. Now we selected 3 cards of different color. All colors have 3 cards ...so these 3 cards will have 2 MORE same color cards ( i just got confused wait :dazed ) ...we selected 3 diferent color card. each clolor card has 3 card ...so total number of same color cards which have color similar to earlier three cards is = 9 (YYY/BBB/RRR ...from which we selected Y/B/R ...we dont want this entire group)

so 21-9 = 15 cards (colors other than theearlier)

we select 2 cardsd from these 15 : 15C2

tyerefore answeer is : E/S = 15C2 /21C2 =1/2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Dorsano505 wrote:

A) 1/8

B) 1/3

C) 1/5

D) 3/8

E) 1/2

** Saw a long explanation for this problem by adding up the probabilities. Looking for a solution that uses the complement (1-P). Thanks!

Hi..
The shorter way would be..
We are left with 3*8-3=21 cards.
Ways of picking the other two different from original 3 is 15*14, as we remove the remaining 2 of these original 3, and thus 21-6= 15 are left.
Total ways = ways of picking 2 out of 21=21*20..

Hence probability of not similar to original 3= \(\frac{15*14}{21*20}\)=1/2..
So probability we are looking for = 1-P= 1-1/2=1/2

E

Instead of picking the other 2 different from original why don't we pick the same directly ? We have 6 cards that match the original cards dealt, so why cannot it be 6*5 ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93015 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts