Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [32]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [9]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical [#permalink]
Expert Reply
workout wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept..

Ans 13

chetan2u

Shouldn't the remaining 10 lines have zero or negative y-intercept ? The final answer doesn't change anyway.

Yes , it will be 0 or negative...
You are correct. Doesn't effect the answer so didn't mention it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [4]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Raksat wrote:
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical and 15 of which have a positive slope. Of those with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept. If 23 lines have a Y-intercept less than or equal to zero, how many lines contain no point in Quadrant I?
A: 0
B: 7
C: 13
D: 20
E: 35

There are 8 categories of lines

(i) positive slope, positive y-intercept - x

(ii) positive slope, passing through origin - y

(iii) positive slope, negative y-intercept - z

(iv) negative slope & positive y-intercept - a

(v) negative slope & passing through origin - b

(vi) negative slope & negative y-intercept - c

(vii) parallel to x - axis & with positive y-intercept - p

(viii) parallel to x - axis & with negative y-intercept - q

Lines x, y, z, a, p pass through Quadrant I, we are asked to find (b + c + q)

Given x + y + z + a + b + c + p + q = 35

x + y + z = 15

x = 15/3 = 5, hence y + z = 10

y + z + b + c + q = 23

hence b + c + q = 23 - 10 = 13

Answer C.

Thanks,
GyM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Raksat wrote:
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical and 15 of which have a positive slope. Of those with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept. If 23 lines have a Y-intercept less than or equal to zero, how many lines contain no point in Quadrant I?

Hi...
35 lines..
15 positive slope that if x increases y increases and vice versa..
So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept or y is 0
But total 23 have negative or zero y intercept, so 23-10=13 of these have negative slope..
So these 13 will never cross the quad I

Ans 13

Total 35 lines
23 of those lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0
5 of those lines have y intercept \(>\) 0
what about the remaining seven lines ?
if they don't have a zero y intercept, or negative y intercept or positive y intercept , what kind of intercept do they have ?

Is it possible to have a line with NO y intercept? Isn't it the same as having a zero Y intercept?
if those 7 lines pass through the origin , then y intercept should be 0 and we should have 23 +7 lines having y intercept \(\leq\)0

Please account for those 7 lines .
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
Raksat wrote:

Here is my approach.
Line contains no point in Quadrant I means Line has Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND negative slope
Of the 15 lines with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept --> remaining 2/3 * 15 = 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0
Of the 23 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0, 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND positive slope --> remaining 23-10 = 13 lines Y-intercept ≤ 0 and negative slope
Answer C.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Izzyjust5 wrote:
Raksat wrote:

Here is my approach.
Line contains no point in Quadrant I means Line has Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND negative slope
Of the 15 lines with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept --> remaining 2/3 * 15 = 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0
Of the 23 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0, 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND positive slope --> remaining 23-10 = 13 lines Y-intercept ≤ 0 and negative slope
Answer C.

That can be easily understood , can you help me understand , about the y intercept of the remaining 7 lines , positive 5 y intercept ,zero and less = 23 Y intercept , that makes 28, what about the y intercept of the remaining 7 lines ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
stne wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Raksat wrote:

Hi...
35 lines..
15 positive slope that if x increases y increases and vice versa..
So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept or y is 0
But total 23 have negative or zero y intercept, so 23-10=13 of these have negative slope..
So these 13 will never cross the quad I

Ans 13

Total 35 lines
23 of those lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0
5 of those lines have y intercept \(>\) 0
what about the remaining seven lines ?
if they don't have a zero y intercept, or negative y intercept or positive y intercept , what kind of intercept do they have ?

Is it possible to have a line with NO y intercept? Isn't it the same as having a zero Y intercept?
if those 7 lines pass through the origin , then y intercept should be 0 and we should have 23 +7 lines having y intercept \(\leq\)0

Please account for those 7 lines .
Thanks.

5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept \(>\) 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept \(>\) 0

In general, it is possible to have lines with NO y-intercept. Those lines never intersect the y-axis, or in other words, those lines are vertical (parallel to the y-axis). It is not the same as having a zero y-intercept. If a line is vertical and has a zero y-intercept, it is y-axis.
In this question, the stem clearly states that "A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical..." so it's not possible to have lines with NO y-intercept in this case.

Hope it's clear.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical [#permalink]
Izzyjust5 wrote:
5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept >> 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept >> 0

In general, it is possible to have lines with NO y-intercept. Those lines never intersect the y-axis, or in other words, those lines are vertical (parallel to the y-axis). It is not the same as having a zero y-intercept. If a line is vertical and has a zero y-intercept, it is y-axis.
In this question, the stem clearly states that "A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical..." so it's not possible to have lines with NO y-intercept in this case.

Hope it's clear.

I think you did not understand my question correctly.

May be I am missing something
total 35 lines , 15 have positive slope and 20 have 0 or negative slope ( 20 + 15 = 35)
out of 15 having positive slope, 5 have positive Y intercept
So 10 having positive slope have 0 or negative Y intercept
So total 15 lines have positive slope = 5 lines have positive y intercept and 10 lines have , zero or negative y intercept.
also we know total 23 lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0

so 23 + 5 = 28 , what kind of y intercept do the remaining 7 lines have ?
hope now my question is clear.

Edit:
Thank you , understood it , the answer I was looking for was this :

Those 7 lines have positive y intercept but negative slope .

So here is the break up

Total 12 have positive y intercept out of which 5 have positive slope and 7 have zero or negative slope
total 23 have zero or negative Y intercept out of which 10 have positive slope and 13 have 0 or negative slope .

total 35 lines are now accounted for .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
stne wrote:
Izzyjust5 wrote:
5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept >> 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept >> 0

Hope it's clear.

I think you did not understand my question correctly.

May be I am missing something
total 35 lines , 15 have positive slope and 20 have 0 or negative slope ( 20 + 15 = 35)
out of 15 having positive slope, 5 have positive Y intercept
So 10 having positive slope have 0 or negative Y intercept
So total 15 lines have positive slope = 5 lines have positive y intercept and 10 lines have , zero or negative y intercept.
also we know total 23 lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0

so 23 + 5 = 28 , what kind of y intercept do the remaining 7 lines have ?
hope now my question is clear.

Edit:
Thank you , understood it , the answer I was looking for was this :

Those 7 lines have positive y intercept but negative slope .

So here is the break up

Total 12 have positive y intercept out of which 5 have positive slope and 7 have negative slope
total 23 have zero or negative Y intercept out of which 10 have positive slope and 13 have 0 or negative slope .

total 35 lines are now accounted for .

Drawing a 2x2 table may help you see it easier
Attachments

Screenshot_20180820-010222_Sheets.jpg
Screenshot_20180820-010222_Sheets.jpg [ 120.89 KiB | Viewed 5204 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Raksat wrote:

Matrix method was easier here

---------------------(+ive Slope)---------(-ive slope)-----Total
+ive Y Intercept----------5----------------------7------------12
-ive Y Intercept----------10--------------------13-----------23
----------------------------15--------------------20-----------35

-ive slope and -ive Y Intercept will be responsible for answering how many lines contain no point in Quadrant I

C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
out of 15 lines with posivitive slop, 5 lines have positive intercept on Y, 10 lines has negative or 0.

so out of the 23 lines with a Y-intercept less than or equal to zero,
there are must contains 10 positive slop which mentioned in positive slop.
and then 23-10=13 left with negative slop.
those 13 line with negative slop and Y intercept <=0 must not cross the quadrant I.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts