GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 01:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 03:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (02:31) correct 36% (01:55) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical and 15 of which have a positive slope. Of those with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept. If 23 lines have a Y-intercept less than or equal to zero, how many lines contain no point in Quadrant I?
A: 0
B: 7
C: 13
D: 20
E: 35

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 03:56
Raksat wrote:
A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical and 15 of which have a positive slope. Of those with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept. If 23 lines have a Y-intercept less than or equal to zero, how many lines contain no point in Quadrant I?

Hi...
35 lines..
15 positive slope that if x increases y increases and vice versa..
So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept or y is 0
But total 23 have negative or zero y intercept, so 23-10=13 of these have negative slope..
So these 13 will never cross the quad I

Ans 13
Attachments

PicsArt_07-09-04.34.06.jpg
PicsArt_07-09-04.34.06.jpg [ 121.93 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

General Discussion
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 04:02
chetan2u wrote:

So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept..

Ans 13

chetan2u

Shouldn't the remaining 10 lines have zero or negative y-intercept ? The final answer doesn't change anyway.

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Math Expert
V
Re: A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 04:07
workout wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept..

Ans 13

chetan2u

Shouldn't the remaining 10 lines have zero or negative y-intercept ? The final answer doesn't change anyway.

Yes , it will be 0 or negative...
You are correct. Doesn't effect the answer so didn't mention it.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 11:45
Raksat wrote:

There are 8 categories of lines

(i) positive slope, positive y-intercept - x

(ii) positive slope, passing through origin - y

(iii) positive slope, negative y-intercept - z

(iv) negative slope & positive y-intercept - a

(v) negative slope & passing through origin - b

(vi) negative slope & negative y-intercept - c

(vii) parallel to x - axis & with positive y-intercept - p

(viii) parallel to x - axis & with negative y-intercept - q

Lines x, y, z, a, p pass through Quadrant I, we are asked to find (b + c + q)

Given x + y + z + a + b + c + p + q = 35

x + y + z = 15

x = 15/3 = 5, hence y + z = 10

y + z + b + c + q = 23

hence b + c + q = 23 - 10 = 13

Answer C.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 07:36
chetan2u wrote:
Raksat wrote:

Hi...
35 lines..
So 1/3 have a positive y intercept, so remaining 2/3 or 10 have negative y intercept or y is 0
But total 23 have negative or zero y intercept, so 23-10=13 of these have negative slope..

Ans 13

Total 35 lines
23 of those lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0
5 of those lines have y intercept \(>\) 0
what about the remaining seven lines ?
if they don't have a zero y intercept, or negative y intercept or positive y intercept , what kind of intercept do they have ?

Is it possible to have a line with NO y intercept? Isn't it the same as having a zero Y intercept?
if those 7 lines pass through the origin , then y intercept should be 0 and we should have 23 +7 lines having y intercept \(\leq\)0

Please account for those 7 lines .
Thanks.

- Stne

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 10:12
Raksat wrote:

Here is my approach.
Line contains no point in Quadrant I means Line has Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND negative slope
Of the 15 lines with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept --> remaining 2/3 * 15 = 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0
Of the 23 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0, 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND positive slope --> remaining 23-10 = 13 lines Y-intercept ≤ 0 and negative slope
Answer C.

(^人^)

GMATCLUB Search for tags

GMAC © Official Guides - The Master Directory + Links

Question Directory by Topic & Difficulty
Problem Solving | Data Sufficiency | Sentence Correction | Critical Reasoning | Reading Comprehension

ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 10:22
Izzyjust5 wrote:
Raksat wrote:

Here is my approach.
Line contains no point in Quadrant I means Line has Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND negative slope
Of the 15 lines with positive slope, 1/3 also have a positive Y-intercept --> remaining 2/3 * 15 = 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0
Of the 23 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0, 10 lines have Y-intercept ≤ 0 AND positive slope --> remaining 23-10 = 13 lines Y-intercept ≤ 0 and negative slope
Answer C.

That can be easily understood , can you help me understand , about the y intercept of the remaining 7 lines , positive 5 y intercept ,zero and less = 23 Y intercept , that makes 28, what about the y intercept of the remaining 7 lines ?

- Stne

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 10:28
stne wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Raksat wrote:

Hi...
35 lines..

Ans 13

Total 35 lines
23 of those lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0
5 of those lines have y intercept \(>\) 0
what about the remaining seven lines ?
if they don't have a zero y intercept, or negative y intercept or positive y intercept , what kind of intercept do they have ?

Is it possible to have a line with NO y intercept? Isn't it the same as having a zero Y intercept?
if those 7 lines pass through the origin , then y intercept should be 0 and we should have 23 +7 lines having y intercept \(\leq\)0

Please account for those 7 lines .
Thanks.

5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept \(>\) 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept \(>\) 0

In general, it is possible to have lines with NO y-intercept. Those lines never intersect the y-axis, or in other words, those lines are vertical (parallel to the y-axis). It is not the same as having a zero y-intercept. If a line is vertical and has a zero y-intercept, it is y-axis.
In this question, the stem clearly states that "A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical..." so it's not possible to have lines with NO y-intercept in this case.

Hope it's clear.

(^人^)

GMATCLUB Search for tags

Problem Solving | Data Sufficiency | Sentence Correction | Critical Reasoning | Reading Comprehension

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 10:45
Izzyjust5 wrote:
5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept >> 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept >> 0

In general, it is possible to have lines with NO y-intercept. Those lines never intersect the y-axis, or in other words, those lines are vertical (parallel to the y-axis). It is not the same as having a zero y-intercept. If a line is vertical and has a zero y-intercept, it is y-axis.
In this question, the stem clearly states that "A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical..." so it's not possible to have lines with NO y-intercept in this case.

Hope it's clear.

I think you did not understand my question correctly.

May be I am missing something
total 35 lines , 15 have positive slope and 20 have 0 or negative slope ( 20 + 15 = 35)
out of 15 having positive slope, 5 have positive Y intercept
So 10 having positive slope have 0 or negative Y intercept
So total 15 lines have positive slope = 5 lines have positive y intercept and 10 lines have , zero or negative y intercept.
also we know total 23 lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0

so 23 + 5 = 28 , what kind of y intercept do the remaining 7 lines have ?
hope now my question is clear.

Edit:
Thank you , understood it , the answer I was looking for was this :

Those 7 lines have positive y intercept but negative slope .

So here is the break up

Total 12 have positive y intercept out of which 5 have positive slope and 7 have zero or negative slope
total 23 have zero or negative Y intercept out of which 10 have positive slope and 13 have 0 or negative slope .

total 35 lines are now accounted for .

- Stne

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 11:11
stne wrote:
Izzyjust5 wrote:
5 of the 15 lines which have a positive slope have y intercept >> 0, not 5 of the total 35 lines have y intercept >> 0

Hope it's clear.

I think you did not understand my question correctly.

May be I am missing something
total 35 lines , 15 have positive slope and 20 have 0 or negative slope ( 20 + 15 = 35)
out of 15 having positive slope, 5 have positive Y intercept
So 10 having positive slope have 0 or negative Y intercept
So total 15 lines have positive slope = 5 lines have positive y intercept and 10 lines have , zero or negative y intercept.
also we know total 23 lines have y intercept \(\leq\) 0

so 23 + 5 = 28 , what kind of y intercept do the remaining 7 lines have ?
hope now my question is clear.

Edit:
Thank you , understood it , the answer I was looking for was this :

Those 7 lines have positive y intercept but negative slope .

So here is the break up

Total 12 have positive y intercept out of which 5 have positive slope and 7 have negative slope
total 23 have zero or negative Y intercept out of which 10 have positive slope and 13 have 0 or negative slope .

total 35 lines are now accounted for .

Drawing a 2x2 table may help you see it easier
Attachments

Screenshot_20180820-010222_Sheets.jpg
Screenshot_20180820-010222_Sheets.jpg [ 120.89 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

(^人^)

GMATCLUB Search for tags

Re: A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 11:11

A student draws 35 lines in the XY plane, none of which are vertical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap