Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619703 [3]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619703 [1]
Send PM
Re: ABC and AED are triangles with BC parallel to ED. Find the a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
obs23 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ABC and AED are triangles with BC parallel to ED. Find the area of BCDE if the area of ABC is 16.

(1) BC = 8. We don't know where is ED positioned. Not sufficient.
(2) ED = 5. We don't know the other sides. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Notice that angles of triangles ABC and AED are equal, which means that the triangles are similar.

Property:
If two similar triangles have sides in the ratio \(\frac{x}{y}\), then their areas are in the ratio \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}\).
OR in another way: in two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides: \(\frac{AREA}{area}=\frac{SIDE^2}{side^2}\).

Since BC/ED=8/5, then \(\frac{AREA_{ABC}}{area_{AED}}=\frac{8^2}{5^2}=\frac{64}{25}\). As given that the area of ABS is 16, then we can find the area of AED and then find the area of BCDE. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Wonderfully done - one question please: "the area of ABC is 16" (in the stimulus) - is there anything we can infer from this information? Or does this information help us in any way before looking at S1 and S2?

We just know that the area is 16, we can get nothing more from it.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3805 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Without combining (1) and (2), can't we say both the triangles are similar? i am asking this because i did not understand the reason for insufficiency "We don't know where is ED positioned. Not sufficient."

I marked the answer D because i thought two triangles are similar. Hence, knowing BC=8 will give me the height of the triangle ABC because the area is given. As we know, for similar triangles their ratios of heights and bases are equal i will be able to find the area of triangle AED.

Please explain.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619703 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HKD1710 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Without combining (1) and (2), can't we say both the triangles are similar? i am asking this because i did not understand the reason for insufficiency "We don't know where is ED positioned. Not sufficient."

I marked the answer D because i thought two triangles are similar. Hence, knowing BC=8 will give me the height of the triangle ABC because the area is given. As we know, for similar triangles their ratios of heights and bases are equal i will be able to find the area of triangle AED.

Please explain.

Thanks

Yes, we know that they are similar from the stem but this does not help. Check the image below:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 49.29 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3805 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Please explain.

Thanks

Yes, we know that they are similar from the stem but this does not help. Check the image below:
Attachment:
Untitled.png

By looking at the image attached, i understood what you meant by "We don't know where is ED positioned. Not sufficient."

I conclude that in case of similar triangles when the figure is not drawn to scale and value of base for both the triangles is not known then knowing the value of base for only one triangle will always lead to this situation and will be insufficient. Please confirm!

Thank you :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
@Bunuel- just making sure- we cannot actually infer that both triangles are 90 necessarily right triangles right? In other words- we know it's C because of the property you explained not because we can make the assumption that both triangles are right triangles in which case it also makes sense that the answer is C? The fact that I did not think both triangles were right triangles was the reason I second guessed and picked E
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619703 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
@Bunuel- just making sure- we cannot actually infer that both triangles are 90 necessarily right triangles right? In other words- we know it's C because of the property you explained not because we can make the assumption that both triangles are right triangles in which case it also makes sense that the answer is C? The fact that I did not think both triangles were right triangles was the reason I second guessed and picked E

Yes, we don't know that the triangles are right.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
obs23 wrote:
ABC and AED are triangles with BC parallel to ED. Find the area of BCDE if the area of ABC is 16.
Attachment:
Triangle_Barrons.png

(1) BC = 8
(2) ED = 5

The proportion of the areas would simply be

8^2/5^2

C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts