Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance [#permalink]
^^^^
This too me doenst make sense because you are esentially comparing

an action (language occupying) vs a description (of area 1 and area 2)

I guess grammatically its okay but meaningfull - how can an action be comapred to a description

analogy
- flowers grow in the summer
vs
- flower are beautifull in the winter

The comparison is between an action vs a description.

Gramatically okay but meaning wise -- not meant to be compared.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 02 Feb 2022, 18:30.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 15 Feb 2022, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

I guess grammatically its okay but meaningfull - how can an action be comapred to a description

analogy
vs

jabhatta2 the purpose of the sentence is to highlight the different ways in which adult brains and child brains store a new language. It's really quite fascinating, if you think about it - I didn't know this, did you? I find it helpful to think deeply about the content and try to get excited about it.

Whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, language areas overlap in a young child.

I wonder, jabhatta2, once you think deeply about the point of this comparison: do you still feel that it's just comparing an action to a description?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hey GMATGuruNY - just curious on your thoughts on my question Here and Here w.r.t. to A?

I did select A because the other options are gramatically wrong but i was curious on your thoughts on what is being compared in option A exactly

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 15 Feb 2022, 09:26.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 15 Feb 2022, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

analogy
vs

jabhatta2 the purpose of the sentence is to highlight the different ways in which adult brains and child brains store a new language. It's really quite fascinating, if you think about it - I didn't know this, did you? I find it helpful to think deeply about the content and try to get excited about it.

Whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, language areas overlap in a young child.

I wonder, jabhatta2, once you think deeply about the point of this comparison: do you still feel that it's just comparing an action to a description?

Hi Avi – sorry this fell under the radar.
I think my main reason why I thought the 1st half was an ‘action verb’ whereas the 2nd half was ‘description’ was because the first verb (Occupies) is a transitive verb. The 2nd verb (Overlap) is in-transitive verb

First verb = Occupies is a transitive verb (in need of a direct object)
whereas
2nd verb = Overlap is intransitive (NOT IN NEED of a direct object)
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

analogy
vs

Hi avigutman - take-away : I thnk my initial assumption that verb 1 (occupies) is an "action verb" whereas verb 2 (overlap) is descriptive was wrong

normally with descriptive verbs (list below) -- i think you need to have "is / are / to-be verb" before the descriptive verb
Avi is swift
Avi is smart

(occupies) and (overlap) are action verbs because there is no to-be verb before (occupies) and (overlap
Attachments

screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG [ 106.83 KiB | Viewed 1363 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
As requested, here is my reasoning take-away. first through an analogy and then the original question

Quote:
(i)Whereas each student drives a honda civic in Canada, each student drives a ford fusion in USA
Here the comparison is the actions of the students

Quote:
(ii) Whereas each student drives a honda civic in Canada, honda civics are not available in USA
Here the comparison is NOT the actions of the students
Instead, the comparison is between the fact that honda civics are available in Canada whereas Honda civics are not available in the USA

Whereas -- when used as a comparison -- allows for the flexibility to compare subject's actions or compare direct objects (i think)

In the original question - the focus on the comparison is not language occupying distinct areas in adult brains vs language occupying shared area in young brains.

The focus on the comparison not on 'language occupying'

instead the focus is on -- 1 language area owning a distinctive area in the adult brain vs 1 language area overlapping with another language area in the young brain

A subtle difference

Could i do this in a span of 120 seconds though ? tough
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance [#permalink]
Hello Expert,
I am really stuck on this question, as I was during my mock exam.
I feel the comparison should be between 'language areas' as stated in the sentence after underlined part. "language areas overlap in a young child"
But, none of the answer choice seems to address that. Each answer choice is making a comparison between 'each language' and 'language areas'.
Please help !
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ishaan0104 wrote:
Hello Expert,

I feel the comparison should be between 'language areas' as stated in the sentence after underlined part. "language areas overlap in a young child"

But, none of the answer choice seems to address that. Each answer choice is making a comparison between 'each language' and 'language areas'.

Please help !

The non-underlined portion is: "language areas overlap in a young child". The verb ("overlap") is key -- we aren't trying to compare "language areas" (a noun) to something else. Instead, we're trying to compare what the language areas do to some other clause or action.

In other words, we're trying to compare one thing that happens to another thing that happens. In (A), those two things are:

• each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner
  • language areas overlap in a young child

Each of these things is a clause (with a subject and a verb), so the comparison is clear from a structural standpoint (comparing one clause to another).

There is a clear contrast between (1) having language areas overlap and (2) having each language occupy a distinct area of the brain, so the comparison is perfectly logical: in an adult learner, one thing happens (each language occupies a distinct area of the brain), and in a young child something different happens (language areas overlap).

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.74
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Ishaan0104 wrote:
Hello Expert,

Please help !

The non-underlined portion is: "language areas overlap in a young child". The verb ("overlap") is key -- we aren't trying to compare "language areas" (a noun) to something else. Instead, we're trying to compare what the language areas do to some other clause or action.

In other words, we're trying to compare one thing that happens to another thing that happens. In (A), those two things are:

• each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner
  • language areas overlap in a young child

Each of these things is a clause (with a subject and a verb), so the comparison is clear from a structural standpoint (comparing one clause to another).

There is a clear contrast between (1) having language areas overlap and (2) having each language occupy a distinct area of the brain, so the comparison is perfectly logical: in an adult learner, one thing happens (each language occupies a distinct area of the brain), and in a young child something different happens (language areas overlap).

I hope that helps!

Is the sentence after the semicolon inverted?
I read it wheras onwards and thought it doesnt make sense. Had I read the non-underlined part first, it would have makes sense. Let me know
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts