Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
I was a Finance undergrad and will definitely take Turbo. However, I am thinking about trying to waive Finance I and take Finance II by itself. It really wouldn't be that hard to study Finance over the summer and give my self a refresher for the exam.

Also, I know there are several classes I'm going to need to do some studying for this summer so I can be way ahead for Fall semester (Micro, Stat). I need to make a 4.0 in the fall for IB recruiting in January. It would certainly alleviate any doubts about my UG GPA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
monkbent wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
Has anyone looked at regular finance (FINC-430) vs. "Turbo" (FINC-440)? I've never taken finance but have a strong non-financial quantitative background, so I wonder how crazy it'd be to go for 440. It'd be nice to get to the more advanced courses in finance (or to electives in other areas) more quickly, hence my attraction to 440. Thoughts?

Here are the descriptions:
Finance I (FINC-430): https://www20.kellogg.northwestern.edu/dpco/offdtl.asp?course_id=FINC-430-0
Finance I/II ("Turbo", FINC-440): https://www20.kellogg.northwestern.edu/dpco/offdtl.asp?course_id=FINC-440-0

Here's more information regarding Turbo:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/finance/curriculum/turbofinance.htm

Thanks for the links. I've been thinking about the same thing. Since I'm MMM, I think Turbo is expected, although you have the option of taking Finance 1 and 2 instead. I'm in basically the same boat as you as far as background goes. I have to say I'm leaning towards the regular finance classes, but we'll see...

I wouldn't worry too much about not having any finance in your background. I asked this same question to a bunch of MMMs during DAK and the general consensus was that even without a finance class in your past, you will be fine taking Turbo and that you are better off having more chance to take elective later on.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
domtri33 wrote:
monkbent wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
Has anyone looked at regular finance (FINC-430) vs. "Turbo" (FINC-440)? I've never taken finance but have a strong non-financial quantitative background, so I wonder how crazy it'd be to go for 440. It'd be nice to get to the more advanced courses in finance (or to electives in other areas) more quickly, hence my attraction to 440. Thoughts?

Here are the descriptions:
Finance I (FINC-430): https://www20.kellogg.northwestern.edu/dpco/offdtl.asp?course_id=FINC-430-0
Finance I/II ("Turbo", FINC-440): https://www20.kellogg.northwestern.edu/dpco/offdtl.asp?course_id=FINC-440-0

Here's more information regarding Turbo:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/finance/curriculum/turbofinance.htm

Thanks for the links. I've been thinking about the same thing. Since I'm MMM, I think Turbo is expected, although you have the option of taking Finance 1 and 2 instead. I'm in basically the same boat as you as far as background goes. I have to say I'm leaning towards the regular finance classes, but we'll see...

I wouldn't worry too much about not having any finance in your background. I asked this same question to a bunch of MMMs during DAK and the general consensus was that even without a finance class in your past, you will be fine taking Turbo and that you are better off having more chance to take elective later on.

That's good to hear. Any ideas what I should do in the meantime to get ready?
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I may try and look at the syllabus' for some of the classes I think will be really tough and buy the text book on Amazon. Study it every now and again.

One cool thing about Kellogg is that you can take 3, 4, or 5 classes in a quarter and you don't have to pay less. You need 24.5 credits to graduate (so 4 per quarter), but can take more electives if you want or have the time. I would probably try and take an extra class in the Spring quarter to prepare for my internship, and then an extra class before I graduate just to get my money's worth. Also, I believe you can take one or two classes Pass/Fail.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am taking 5 courses (as of now) in the spring, and of course I have the option to drop one if it isnt to interesting or I dont think it will really be as applicable to what I want to do as I thought. If I redo recruiting in the fall because I either dont get an offer or dont like the company, well then I might only take 3 so I dont have to worry about not getting as much out of a class while I am recruiting heavily.

Fin 1 and Fin 2 vs taking turbo...from what I know, the math in Turbo isnt the hard part its the volume of work and the pace its presented. Honestly if you have an engineering degree you wont find finance's math difficult, but learning the terms and how it all applies is more challenging. No matter how great you are with math, you still have to get the concepts. I think it depends on what you want to do. If you dont want to be a banker then I dont see the value in Turbo.

Personally, I would take Marketing in the fall if you arent doing finance for a job...for a few reasons. 1) Marketing actually has a much higher workload, so taking in the fall vs winter recruiting season is good. You have to prep lots for classes, participation counts more so missing classes hurts more, and the assignments take a lot longer to complete. 2) DECS and Accounting help you with Fin 1, there is definitely some overlap in concepts that make it easier to pick up the fin stuff after you have already been exposed to things. Fin relies on existing knowledge of these but its not the case the other way. 3) Usually there are two great marketing professors in the fall and can get in without bidding but in the winter you may have to bid hundreds of points to get the star professor. I say take Grayson, doesnt have the name that Hennessey has but he uses more international cases, focuses on quant more, and he is an awesome guy. Was definitely my favorite class and professor so far...which is impressive since I dont want to go into marketing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
River.. Thanks for the awesome post.

Just wanted to clarify:

1. You're saying that people going into banking should take turbo fin and not fin 1 and fin 2? What about taking turbo fin versus waiving fin 1 and taking fin 2?

2. Based on what you said taking Marketing in the fall sounds like a good idea. Is it not possible to take turbo fin/fin 2 and marketing in the fall? Or is it just not a good idea to take Marketing if you are recruiting for finance?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
Thanks River.

Can we waive out of accounting or the decision science (stats) by just passing the test? I did hear during DAK that some core courses also require us to have taken a similar course earlier. Do either of the above courses have that requirement?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
vijapp wrote:
Thanks River.

Can we waive out of accounting or the decision science (stats) by just passing the test? I did hear during DAK that some core courses also require us to have taken a similar course earlier. Do either of the above courses have that requirement?

Accounting is tougher to waive out they have specific requirements. You can test out of DECS though. There should be stuff online about waiving out well before you guys show up. I should have waived out of the first DECS class since it was not that hard and easily could have with just a little refresher.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
vijapp wrote:
Thanks River.

Accounting is tougher to waive out they have specific requirements. You can test out of DECS though. There should be stuff online about waiving out well before you guys show up. I should have waived out of the first DECS class since it was not that hard and easily could have with just a little refresher.

I'm definitely going to waive out of DECS if at all possible. Want to get to the good stuff more quickly.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
If you dont want to be a banker then I dont see the value in Turbo.

Even for consulting? Or what about if we're hoping to make the fantasy stretch to aim for PE/VC?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:
riverripper wrote:
If you dont want to be a banker then I dont see the value in Turbo.

Even for consulting? Or what about if we're hoping to make the fantasy stretch to aim for PE/VC?

If you have a finance background it wont be bad but I hear its a pretty ball buster course...very heavy workload. Almost all MMM's do it though. Its not impossible, just gonna keep you busy.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:
2. Based on what you said taking Marketing in the fall sounds like a good idea. Is it not possible to take turbo fin/fin 2 and marketing in the fall? Or is it just not a good idea to take Marketing if you are recruiting for finance?

You can do that but you will have to waive out of accounting, the decision science (stats). Waiving out of DECS is not too hard, you can take a test and get out of it rather easily if you want to.

River, thanks a lot. It's great to have a community academic advisor on Gclub. :)

Just a quick clarification: Did you mean we have to test out of both accounting and DECS or just 1 out of the 2?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
You can take up to 5 classes a semester (more if you want to pay). Typically students take 4 courses each semester so if you dont waive any classes you will take DECS 433, Accouting 430, Business Strategy 431...then one of the following Fin 1, Turbo Fin, or Marketing. So you only need to waive out of one either DECS or accounting to be able to take Fin 1 and Marketing first semester.

You guys have plenty of time to figure this out...relax and enjoy yourselves for the next few months.

Thanks river.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I am hoping to waive ACCT and DECS 433, and then take Turbo, DECS 434, Business Strategy, and either Turbo ACCT 434 or Microeconomics. Since I want to do IB, and was a finance major in UG and took several accounting courses, I'm hoping to get to the advanced stuff pretty quickly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
I just tried to join the Facebook Kellogg MBA Class of 2011. Do you have to be for sure going to be in the group? There's a good chance I'll be there in the fall, but I am not totally sure yet. Still waiting on financial aid/scholarships/other schools.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Hey, I was looking at the Kellogg current student housing survey the other day and now I can't find where I saw it. Any help? It was an Excel file.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
pu2003 wrote:
I just tried to join the Facebook Kellogg MBA Class of 2011. Do you have to be for sure going to be in the group? There's a good chance I'll be there in the fall, but I am not totally sure yet. Still waiting on financial aid/scholarships/other schools.

I think there are a lot of students in multiple school groups, so I think it's okay. Etiquette seems to be that if you withdraw from a school, you also withdraw from the facebook group. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  59