Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Darcey914 wrote:
Hi everyone

In need of some advice re GMAT. Firstly - I am not good at standardized testing and not particularly familiar with it. I have a 640 right now (8 IR, 42 Q, 36 V).

I don't particularly want to retake the test, though I would be grateful for any thoughts, particularly on how this might be viewed by INSEAD and Judge (my top two choices). In terms of my profile more broadly, I am a female British lawyer, with (as of today) just over 6 years experience at both magic circle and top tier USA firms. I have to date been seconded to several key clients, a top investment bank and two asset management funds amongst them. I have a first class degree from a Russell group university, and demonstrable leadership experience across deal management and pro bono work (all of which have multi-jurisdictional elements). I am actively involved as a volunteer counsellor with a leading UK charity. I have a keen interest in the arts, and studied as a teenager at one of the top vocational performing art schools. I like to hike and have enjoyed some amazing climbs around the world.

I guess the point I'm making is, my GMAT isn't high, but offset against my other (academic) achievements, how likely is it that this will be a blocking item / red flag? How necessary is it in your view to achieve a higher GMAT with this profile, and is there any way I can demonstrate quant ability in another way? My job is very technical, although not particularly 'quant' based (despite working primarily with secondary debt market participants). My reluctance to retake the test is based primarily on being very tight for time as a result of work, and I'm unsure whether I could feasibly dedicate more time to GMAT in the short term.

I'm looking to apply round 1 for September 2019 intake.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Hi Darcey914,

Thanks for writing in.

In all honesty, the GMAT score is under the average at the schools you are considering and we would strongly recommend a re-take. While you have a fine professional experience, in a differentiated realm, and with strong leadership exposure, the GMAT becomes crucial to establish your ability to adjust to the rigorous academic requirements that an MBA program throws at one :-) Even a 40 point jump would immensely boost your chances and we suggest you give it another shot. The essays have their own value but the GMAT is very crucial as well.

All the best!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Darcey914 wrote:
Hi everyone

In need of some advice re GMAT. Firstly - I am not good at standardized testing and not particularly familiar with it. I have a 640 right now (8 IR, 42 Q, 36 V).

I don't particularly want to retake the test, though I would be grateful for any thoughts, particularly on how this might be viewed by INSEAD and Judge (my top two choices). In terms of my profile more broadly, I am a female British lawyer, with (as of today) just over 6 years experience at both magic circle and top tier USA firms. I have to date been seconded to several key clients, a top investment bank and two asset management funds amongst them. I have a first class degree from a Russell group university, and demonstrable leadership experience across deal management and pro bono work (all of which have multi-jurisdictional elements). I am actively involved as a volunteer counsellor with a leading UK charity. I have a keen interest in the arts, and studied as a teenager at one of the top vocational performing art schools. I like to hike and have enjoyed some amazing climbs around the world.

I guess the point I'm making is, my GMAT isn't high, but offset against my other (academic) achievements, how likely is it that this will be a blocking item / red flag? How necessary is it in your view to achieve a higher GMAT with this profile, and is there any way I can demonstrate quant ability in another way? My job is very technical, although not particularly 'quant' based (despite working primarily with secondary debt market participants). My reluctance to retake the test is based primarily on being very tight for time as a result of work, and I'm unsure whether I could feasibly dedicate more time to GMAT in the short term.

Regarding your GMAT, I agree with JonAmissionado and ABatExpertsGlobal; you should work on increasing your GMAT score. With that said, are you going to retake your GMAT? If so, would you like some advice on how to prep for your next exam?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Darcey914 wrote:
Hi everyone

Hi Darcey914,

INSEAD's GMAT range is pretty wide (620-780), but your score is still closer to the lower end of that spectrum. While your background in law, and your well-rounded profile with accomplishments in other areas will be definite positives, a GMAT of 640 will still stand out as a bit low. INSEAD states clearly that it would prefer its applicants to have scores at or above the 70-75th percentile on both sections, and unfortunately your Quant score will fall below that mark.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
GMAT Club Bot