It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2006, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 06:13
Can anyone please explain me why A and B are wrong?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 08:55
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Hello buddy.

A and B are wrong because they use "while". In fact, we need a constrast meaning here: X went good in the first period, but did not do so in the second period. "But" is a must here. If you place "while" you mean two actions happened simultaneously. That's wrong. The two actions happened in order (first good, second not good).

Hope it helps

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 09:51
pqhai wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Hello buddy.

A and B are wrong because they use "while". In fact, we need a constrast meaning here: X went good in the first period, but did not do so in the second period. "But" is a must here. If you place "while" you mean two actions happened simultaneously. That's wrong. The two actions happened in order (first good, second not good).

Hope it helps

But in this problem from GMATprep:

Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail, the failure rate
for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.
A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than half
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail

Why do we pick E? If 'while' were to just convey simultaneity then E wouldn't be correct right?
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 08:56
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

Lets break the sentence:

Phrase 1: After several years of rapid growth - Correctly modifies health care company
Clause 1: the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area - health care company is the subject and became is the verb.

Clause 2: while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to[/u] doctors and hospitals. - while starts new clause in whic it is the subject and proved is verb: Now while does not present contrast. Sentence intend to present contrast here

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying - But starts a new clause. It (sub) refers to health care company and proved is verb. comma+ing modifier correctly tells that how it proved unable. This should be the correct answer

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject and verb in but clause

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject in but clause

I don't understand that why E is correct. egmat can you please tell

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 07:28
him1985 wrote:
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject in but clause

If the deconstruct the sentence, the core structure of the sentence is:

the health care company became....but then proved....

So, the parallelism is between became and proved (both are verbs). Basically, the health care company is the subject of the second clause as well.

Perhaps an easier example would help illustrate: Peter worked hard but did not perform well in the exam.

Peter is the subject of the second clause (did not perform well in the exam) as well.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:59
email2vm wrote:

pay would be preferred over Payment (VAN rule). Also "while it" is wrong here.

pay would be preferred over Payment (VAN rule). Also "while it" is wrong here.

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
in its paying is worng. Read this - "a comapany fell behind in its paying" (sounds awkward completely).

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
proving is wrong. proved is correct. because "company became..." but proved .... is correct construction.

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
"company became..." but proved .... is correct construction.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 00:05
Notice A, B and C unnecessarily repeat the subject by using the word “it”. “Became.. but…proved” in E is correct, rather than “became…but..proving” in D, as others have said. I didn’t like the singular “payment” in A and B. “Payments” sounds better to me. This problem is avoided in the correct answer, E. “But” emphasises the necessary contrast better than “while” does. “While” can sometimes be used as a word of contrast, but it can also be used to link two activities happening at the same time. The contrast is clearer in this sentence with the use of “but”.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 19:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 05:23
email2vm wrote:

in option E but (conjunction) is preceded by comma which means that 'but' should be followed by an independent clause. But I do not find any noun in it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Am I right in understanding that it is not a rule that 'BUT' followed by ',' is an indication of complete clause? Please suggest

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 13:02
Divyadisha wrote:
email2vm wrote:

in option E but (conjunction) is preceded by comma which means that 'but' should be followed by an independent clause. But I do not find any noun in it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Am I right in understanding that it is not a rule that 'BUT' followed by ',' is an indication of complete clause? Please suggest

an indication only - but not a confirmation. One may use Comma + but as a non-essential modifier.

Modifier: A skilled swimmer, but not as skilled as Michael, Jack covered 100 meters in 25 seconds.

When used to start a clause, the following rules apply:
2 clauses (correct): I went to the shop, but I could not find what I wanted.
1 clause with 2 verbs (correct) : I went to the shop but could not find what I wanted.
incomplete clause (wrong): I went to the shop, but could not find what I wanted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 04:52
The company went on a success streak, became the ultimate and then failed.

Options A and B show that the company was largest and failed at the same time. Makes no sense. Hence, A and B are eliminated.

Ing form brings out a causal relationship. This is seen only in E. Hence, E

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 19:06
its paying doctor
is wrong

possessive+doing+direct object

is never exist in english language. this point is purely grammatical and a little high. when doing refers to a general action, it can not go with possesive. this is rule purely . this use of doing is called gerund.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 04:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 05:02
Clearly, E makes sense here. None of the other options are correct.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 05:51
D sounded awkward so I chose E.

Can anyone tell what exactly is wrong with D?
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 06:08
sillyboy wrote:

After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area
, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

Notice that there are two independent clauses joined in the sentence using "but".

But in D, proving and falling lack the verb, thereby making it a run on sentence. Hence, INCORRECT.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 09:08
abhimahna wrote:
sillyboy wrote:

After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area
, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

Notice that there are two independent clauses joined in the sentence using "but".

But in D, proving and falling lack the verb, thereby making it a run on sentence. Hence, INCORRECT.

Got it. Thanks a lot :)
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 02:42
[quote="josepradeep"]After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

I alway learn the new thing from old official questions.
I think that "while" can not be used in choice A and B

I think the idea in "while" clause must happen a little before the idea in main clause and we use while to say that the idea in main clause is in contrast with idea in while -clause.
and as a result, "while" can not go with "then".

A and B is out.

in C, "paying" is not a noun , and, so, can not go with possesive "its". "its payment to" is correct. C is out.
in D, "but" a conjuction whichi is used to connect the two like entities. "proving" is not parallel with any entities. D is out

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 09:09
Top Contributor
victory47 wrote:
in C, "paying" is not a noun , and, so, can not go with possesive "its". "its payment to" is correct. C is out.
in D, "but" a conjuction whichi is used to connect the two like entities. "proving" is not parallel with any entities. D is out

Hi @Victory46

While I agree with you about A and B, I don't agree with you about C.

Concrete nouns are preferred over gerunds but not insofar as to rule out an answer choice.

Nonetheless it would be good to get an experts opinion on that.

Paying could be a noun (gerund, verb/like noun) and the possessive "its" does the action of paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 03:24
I think option C would be correct if it were written like this: but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind paying its payment. paying after it is wrong and awkward.In fact thats the only acceptable split between C and E.
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2017, 03:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ] 

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap