Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [13]
Given Kudos: 396
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
aksh5900 wrote:
Is " started repairing the historical....." wrong? And can you please justify the use of 'and that' at the last. I thought these are two independent sentences so went for option B (with the semicolon)

Let's start with the semicolon. As you know, the semicolon should be used to separate two independent clauses -- basically, two sentences that can stand alone.

In answer choices A and B, the phrase after the semicolon is: “the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.” Read on its own, it sounds as though “the Bild” is described as an expensive repair. How could a daily paper be a repair? This is nonsense. And it's also not a standalone sentence. So for that reason, (A) and (B) are out.

The next thing I notice is the use of the parallel marker “and.” Now we’ve got two options. In C and E, “and” seems to connect one noun phrase, “the Bild” to a previous noun phrase, “the historical cathedral.” So the city of Cologne repaired a cathedral and a newspaper? That’s weird.

In D, “and” seems to connect two clauses, each beginning with “that.” Each of the clauses appears to be describing the project. So we’re talking about a project that took almost a decade and that the Bild described as the most expensive repair ever undertaken. Makes sense to me. So D is our answer.

I hope this helps!

Thank You so much GMATNinja
BTW you interchanged option D and E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Re: After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair [#permalink]
Could someone pls explain the IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
sghoshgt,

Firstly eliminate A and B as the part after ; is not a clause.

Secondly, choice C uses 'had taken' unnecessary.

Next, between D and E, only E refers to the 'repair' by using 'that' at the end. This 'that' refers back to the repair as intended.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
manik919 wrote:
After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish; the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.

A) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish;
B) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish;
C) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that had taken almost a decade to finish and
D) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and
E) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and that

Can someone help me to eliminate option D?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
jackspire wrote:
manik919 wrote:
After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish; the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.

A) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish;
B) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish;
C) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that had taken almost a decade to finish and
D) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and
E) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and that

D implies that the city of Cologne undertook two projects - the Cathedral and the Bild, which makes it wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Is " started repairing the historical....." wrong? And can you please justify the use of 'and that' at the last. I thought these are two independent sentences so went for option B (with the semicolon)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Hi souvik101990,

Can you help me understand the structure of this sentence? is "described" acting as a verb or a modifier?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Mays '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Answer is E
A project modifies cathedral
That has taken almost a decade to finish modifies the project(modifier 1)
That the bild.... ( modifier 2)
The 'and' correctly connects two parallel modifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jackspire wrote:
manik919 wrote:

Hi happy to hep

This question uses and which is open parallelism marker , meaning that it is not not easy to identify where the parallelism starts .
In choice we have the same error
Here we have two entities in parallel
the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.
I you read D carefully we are not sure what the Bild describes as most expensive ever only after repeating " that " we come to know about what the Bild describes.
Hope its clear .
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
aksh5900 wrote:

Thank You so much GMATNinja
BTW you interchanged option D and E.

Oops, thank you for pointing out my mistake, aksh5900! I edited my post above so that it doesn't confuse anybody else who stumbles onto this thread. Much appreciated! :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts