GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jun 2018, 23:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:08) correct 53% (01:07) wrong based on 225 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish; the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.

A) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish;
B) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish;
C) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that had taken almost a decade to finish and
D) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and
E) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and that

Originally posted by manik919 on 04 Jun 2018, 22:54.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Jun 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 23:01
Could someone pls explain the IMO.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 23:19
sghoshgt,

Firstly eliminate A and B as the part after ; is not a clause.

Secondly, choice C uses 'had taken' unnecessary.

Next, between D and E, only E refers to the 'repair' by using 'that' at the end. This 'that' refers back to the repair as intended.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 05:11
manik919 wrote:
After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish; the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.

A) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project, taking almost a decade to finish;
B) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish;
C) repairing the historical Cathedral, a project that had taken almost a decade to finish and
D) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and
E) the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and that

Can someone help me to eliminate option D?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 10:05
jackspire wrote:
manik919 wrote:

D implies that the city of Cologne undertook two projects - the Cathedral and the Bild, which makes it wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 20:13
Is " started repairing the historical....." wrong? And can you please justify the use of 'and that' at the last. I thought these are two independent sentences so went for option B (with the semicolon)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 09:48
Hi souvik101990,

Can you help me understand the structure of this sentence? is "described" acting as a verb or a modifier?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 21:27
Answer is E
A project modifies cathedral
That has taken almost a decade to finish modifies the project(modifier 1)
That the bild.... ( modifier 2)
The 'and' correctly connects two parallel modifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 00:20
manik919 wrote:

Imo E

This is a very good question to check verb-ing and verb-ed parallelism issue .
Meaning : After the second world war , the city of Cologne started the repair of the historical Cathedral .The repair of the historical Cathedral took almost a decade .The repair was described by Bild as most expensive ever.

This question uses very sophisticated modifier known as Absolute modifiers .
The structure of absolute modifier is Noun + Noun modifier .

Here noun is " A project " and what ever comes after noun is noun modifier per correct choice "that took almost a decade to finish and that the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever."
We use absolute phrase to modify whole preceding clause in some way ; they are aslo used to modify the subject or the noun of the main clause .
Now we must have proper between the two noun modifiers that we have in absolute phrase .
Only E does that .
Now let us analyse other options as well.

A per this choice the Bild described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever . Here we do not have an object that the Bild describes. Ideally the sentence should have object for the verb described .We can correct this sentence by making the clause a noun modifier (using a relative pronoun)

B Now the structure of the sentence is changes but the issue still remains . We have to object of the verb describes .

C Choice is a disaster. we have a past perfect tense which we do not need and still there the object of verb describes is missing .The meaning is not clear .

D Same error as C . To make meaning more clear we have to use that to remove ambiguity .

E correct

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 00:26
jackspire wrote:
manik919 wrote:

Hi happy to hep

This question uses and which is open parallelism marker , meaning that it is not not easy to identify where the parallelism starts .
In choice we have the same error
Here we have two entities in parallel
the repair of the historical Cathedral, a project that took almost a decade to finish and the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.
I you read D carefully we are not sure what the Bild describes as most expensive ever only after repeating " that " we come to know about what the Bild describes.
Hope its clear .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 20:57
aksh5900 wrote:
Is " started repairing the historical....." wrong? And can you please justify the use of 'and that' at the last. I thought these are two independent sentences so went for option B (with the semicolon)

Let's start with the semicolon. As you know, the semicolon should be used to separate two independent clauses -- basically, two sentences that can stand alone.

In answer choices A and B, the phrase after the semicolon is: “the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.” Read on its own, it sounds as though “the Bild” is described as an expensive repair. How could a daily paper be a repair? This is nonsense. And it's also not a standalone sentence. So for that reason, (A) and (B) are out.

The next thing I notice is the use of the parallel marker “and.” Now we’ve got two options. In (C) and (D), “and” seems to connect one noun phrase, “the Bild” to a previous noun phrase, “the historical cathedral.” So the city of Cologne repaired a cathedral and a newspaper? That’s weird.

In (E), “and” seems to connect two clauses, each beginning with “that.” Each of the clauses appears to be describing the project. So we’re talking about a project that took almost a decade and that the Bild described as the most expensive repair ever undertaken. Makes sense to me. So (E) is our answer.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 21:45
GMATNinja wrote:
aksh5900 wrote:

Let's start with the semicolon. As you know, the semicolon should be used to separate two independent clauses -- basically, two sentences that can stand alone.

In answer choices A and B, the phrase after the semicolon is: “the Bild, the largest daily, described as the most expensive repair undertaken ever.” Read on its own, it sounds as though “the Bild” is described as an expensive repair. How could a daily paper be a repair? This is nonsense. And it's also not a standalone sentence. So for that reason, (A) and (B) are out.

The next thing I notice is the use of the parallel marker “and.” Now we’ve got two options. In C and E, “and” seems to connect one noun phrase, “the Bild” to a previous noun phrase, “the historical cathedral.” So the city of Cologne repaired a cathedral and a newspaper? That’s weird.

In D, “and” seems to connect two clauses, each beginning with “that.” Each of the clauses appears to be describing the project. So we’re talking about a project that took almost a decade and that the Bild described as the most expensive repair ever undertaken. Makes sense to me. So D is our answer.

I hope this helps!

Thank You so much GMATNinja
BTW you interchanged option D and E.
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 21:57
aksh5900 wrote:

Thank You so much GMATNinja
BTW you interchanged option D and E.

Oops, thank you for pointing out my mistake, aksh5900! I edited my post above so that it doesn't confuse anybody else who stumbles onto this thread. Much appreciated! :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2018, 21:57

After the Second World War, the city of Cologne started the repair

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap