Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1039 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa [#permalink]
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
ydanyang wrote:
I don't have any problem of choosing the correct answer. What confuses me is the that following traditions. It seems that the sentence perfectly works without a that. So why you put a that here in every selections?

... the combination of (a reliable supply of water) and (good growing conditions) encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

we can split this sentence into two parts:
If we remove that, we get-

the combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions have endured for at least...

the combination- encouraged- traditions- have endured

Subject- verb- object/ subject- verb

Combination- subject case (subject of the verb encouraged)
however
farming tradition (FT) is in subject and object case both
object of the verb - encouraged
subject of the verb- have endured

Combination encouraged FT have endured ... This construction is flawed.

Hence "that" is required.

Combination encouraged FT that have endured...

Combination encouraged FT
(FT) that have endured... "that" is the subject of the verb "have endured"

we can also split the sentence and see this-

1) the combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions.
2) these traditions have endured for at least 6000 years

"That" is used to connect these two sentences. We can not do without a connector here.

Let's take another example:

I have bought a new phone. Phonehas awesome features.
I have bought a new phonethat has awesome features.

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Hi the rule is:

"Either on X or on Y ( use of the preposition on the right hand side of both either and or)
On either X or Y (use of the preposition prior to either and or)"

with the same logic why should of not come before supply of water and good growing? I understand how meaning wise it would be wrong, so would this hence be an exception to the rule??

EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [2]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
ydanyang wrote:
I don't have any problem of choosing the correct answer. What confuses me is the that following traditions. It seems that the sentence perfectly works without a that. So why you put a that here in every selections?

... the combination of (a reliable supply of water) and (good growing conditions) encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

the combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions have endured for at least...

however

"That" is used to connect these two sentences. We can not do without a connector here.

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Hi the rule is:

"Either on X or on Y ( use of the preposition on the right hand side of both either and or)
On either X or Y (use of the preposition prior to either and or)"

with the same logic why should of not come before supply of water and good growing? I understand how meaning wise it would be wrong, so would this hence be an exception to the rule??

EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja

Great question, Kritisood!

The phrase "a combination of" is standing in for the word "both" in this idiom. The word "of" doesn't repeat because it's not actually part of the X in the idiom. You would still use the same idiom structure as "both X and Y" where X and Y need to be parallel. In this case, the only sentence that does this correctly is option B.

I hope that helps! Feel free to tag us at EMPOWERgmatVerbal if you have any other questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
The combination of X and Y -- here combination is singular subject or plural subject? We can interpret it in this way also -- The combination of X and the combination of Y.
Again combination cannot happen of a single thing. The combination of X -- seems nonsense.

Please explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
ArupSR wrote:
The combination of X and Y -- here combination is singular subject or plural subject? We can interpret it in this way also -- The combination of X and the combination of Y.
Again combination cannot happen of a single thing. The combination of X -- seems nonsense.

Please explain.

Hey there
Thank you for posting the question ? Let me try and help you out!
The Important thing first. Let’s start by looking at the intended logical meaning.

The sentence talks about the farming traditions that had suffered a lot for at least 6000 years. Since the major rivers are flowing through the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, a fusion of good water supply and good growing conditions is found. This amalgamation helped the farming traditions to outgrow suffering.

Now see here two factors 'good water supply and good growing conditions' fuse together to make a single combination and this combination encouraged the farming techniques
A combination in this context is singular

Though combination can act as plural or singular word based on the context.
eg
Combination of red, blue, and green vs combinations of red, blue, and green.
When I say 'Combination of red, blue, and green ' it means that all three colors are mixed together to make up one new color. Here combination is singular
When I say combinations of red, blue, and green' it means that out of these three colors different mixtures of colors can be made. Either red and blue or blue and green or red and green or red, blue, and green are mixed up to make new colors. Here it is plural.

I hope this helps :)
Thanks
Anmol
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
ydanyang wrote:

however

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

please confirm
....and good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for 6,000 years.- CORRECT
(The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean erased it)-OK
(I picked the items that fell down)_OK
(Teacher selected the students who played well for 2 months)OK

....and good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that, in places, have endured for 6,000 years.- CORRECT
(The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean has erased it)-

OK

- effect till now
(I picked the items that have fallen down)

Wrong

( the action of have fallen already completed before i picked)
(Teacher selected the students who have played well for 2 months) -

Ok

( selected happened in past but played well action effect till now )

....and good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for 6,000 years.- Wrong
(The child have drawn a square in the sand, but the ocean erased it)-

Wrong

- doesnt make sense because erasing action happened after draw
(I have picked the items that fell down)_

Ok

because fell down action happened before picked items . the effect of picked is still now - OK
(Teacher have selected the students who played well for 2 months)-

OK

(teacher selection effect still now)

....and good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, have endured for 6,000 years.-

Correct?

The child HAS DRAWN a square in the sand, but the ocean HAS ERASED it.- AWKWARD- what happened first - Awkward
I have picked the items that have fallen down- awkward - action happened one after another.
Teacher has selected the students who have played well for 2 months -

OK

( selection effect till now , students have played well - effect till now)

Question:
Can a present perfect tense be used in main clause and relative clause together in a sentence?

GMATNinja @EMPOWERgmatVerbal@ChrisLele@CrackVerbalGMAT@
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos