Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [38]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [6]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Although modern science has essentially eradicated the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
what you are saying is essentially --

C. In a patient,the disease will be diagnosed after every few years.

D. After every few years,a patient (different once) will be diagnosed with the disease.

D meaning is clear and better.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
amit2k9 wrote:
should be -- definitive

meaning patients are definitely diagnosed with the plague.This is not the case though. The second clause is an observation/future statement.
yvonne0923 wrote:
Although modern science has essentially eradicated the bubonic plague from the industrialized word, the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease.

A. the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease -- should be... few years with the disease -- POE.
B. an occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease once in every few years -- once in few years, should be POE.

C. the disease will be diagonsed in the occasional patient once in every few years -- the disease will be diagnosed --wrong usage. POE.
D. every few years the occasional patient will be diagonsed with the disease -- correct usage of will be and every few years.
E. every few years the occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease -- should be ..POE.

I thought Should = recommendation or advise or suggestion
Will = 100% future.
Is 'will' required?
arent we suggesting that the occasional patent be diagonsed with disease?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Send PM
Except the idiomatic error of "once in every few years" in choice C, are there any problems of correct usage of "the occasional patient will be diagonsed" and " the disease will be diagonsed"? I still don't get why the answer is D instead of C.

amit2k9 wrote:
should be -- definitive

meaning patients are definitely diagnosed with the plague.This is not the case though. The second clause is an observation/future statement.
yvonne0923 wrote:
Although modern science has essentially eradicated the bubonic plague from the industrialized word, the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease.

A. the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease -- should be... few years with the disease -- POE.
B. an occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease once in every few years -- once in few years, should be POE.

C. the disease will be diagonsed in the occasional patient once in every few years -- the disease will be diagnosed --wrong usage. POE.
D. every few years the occasional patient will be diagonsed with the disease -- correct usage of will be and every few years.
E. every few years the occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease -- should be ..POE.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I thnk is because you diagnost a person, not the disease.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Bookmarks
+1 for D.

should has two broad uses:
1) Indicator of moral obligation : He should go home.
2) Used as Hypothetical subjunctive (less common in GMAT): Should he fail the exam, he will have to leave the college.

None of the usages fit out sentence, hence should is not the correct word => A, B and E out.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

A. the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease - Should is wrong
B. an occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease once in every few years - Should is wrong
C. the disease will be diagonsed in the occasional patient once in every few years - DIsease diagnosed ?? Its the patient who is diagnosed.
D. every few years the occasional patient will be diagonsed with the disease
E. every few years the occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease - Should
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
yvonne0923 wrote:

A. the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease
B. an occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease once in every few years
C. the disease will be diagonsed in the occasional patient once in every few years
E. every few years the occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease

should be - oh my god, really? NO!
another mistake - ONCE... why once?
A, B, C, and D are eliminated right away!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi expert,
I don't understand why "should be" is wrong?
Isn't it a suggestion that one should perform checkup,although the plague has been eradicated?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Schools: LBS SMU '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is definitely the best of the bunch. A, B, and E are immediately out because of "should." Surely the author doesn't think that people should be diagnosed with the plague!

C improves on all those, but there's a bit of redundancy. "The occasional patient" means one patient here or there, so we don't need "once in every few years." (The use of "in" there is also not idiomatic.)

D fixes the above problems without introducing any errors. "The occasional X" is a standard idiom: "I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I've been known to eat the occasional cookie." "An occasional" is actually wrong. Outside of this idiom, we wouldn't refer to a person as "occasional" unless we are saying that they occasionally serve in a particular role: "Shanna is an occasional guest on Meet the Press."

Can we also eliminate C on basis that The person is diagnosed with disease not the disease is diagnosed in person( illogical as stated in C)?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
yvonne0923 wrote:

A. the occasional patient should be diagonsed every few years with the disease
B. an occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease once in every few years
C. the disease will be diagonsed in the occasional patient once in every few years
E. every few years the occasional patient should be diagonsed with the disease

I understand the answer, but the question I have here is if we should use "if the occasional patient will be diagonsed" rather than use "the disease will be diagonsed"?
Thanks.

The answer is D
There is a contrast in the sentence.
The bubonic plague is eradicated from the industrialist world but still we will see some patients with bubonic plague occasionally in few years.
D is correct as it conveys the correct meaning .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is definitely the best of the bunch. A, B, and E are immediately out because of "should." Surely the author doesn't think that people should be diagnosed with the plague!

C improves on all those, but there's a bit of redundancy. "The occasional patient" means one patient here or there, so we don't need "once in every few years." (The use of "in" there is also not idiomatic.)

D fixes the above problems without introducing any errors. "The occasional X" is a standard idiom: "I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I've been known to eat the occasional cookie." "An occasional" is actually wrong. Outside of this idiom, we wouldn't refer to a person as "occasional" unless we are saying that they occasionally serve in a particular role: "Shanna is an occasional guest on Meet the Press."

Is redundancy the only problem in C? I eliminated it on the basis that D was also in active voice and pretty much conveyed the same thing without any obvious error. I'm asking because this was a very subtle "redundancy" and may not always be visible. In that case, is the elimination between C and D on the basis of active / passive correct?

DmitryFarber
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
Isn't it a suggestion that one should perform checkup,although the plague has been eradicated?

Thanks

I chose should , I don’t understand why it us will and not shoul??

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kapil1650 wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,

Thanks

I chose should , I don’t understand why it us will and not shoul??

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Kapil1650,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "should" is incorrect here because "should" conveys a sense of obligation/desirability.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts