Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [554]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [197]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [86]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [40]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
I was very much thrown off by the comma in (B). Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I also failed to detect the error with "with" in (A), but after reading a few responses i realise i'm using my ear too much here.

"she defused a situation... with her (public statement)" is different from "she defused a situation, by publicly stating"

Public statement = the means by which she defused; publicly stating is essentially how she did it - what we want.

Generally, I'd try to avoid using a comma as a decision point -- the GMAT really isn't that interested in testing you on the presence or absence of commas. (More on punctuation in this video.) And in this case, the comma is just setting off a modifier, and that's a fairly typical usage.

Prepositions such as "with" are flexible modifiers - they can describe nouns or actions, depending on context. For example, if I order a hamburger with cheese, I'm not using the cheese to order the burger, but rather, "with cheese" is offering additional information about the burger I've ordered. Put another way, "with" is modifying the noun "hamburger," rather than the verb "order."

But if I perform a task with great enthusiasm, "with great enthusiasm" describes how I'm performing the task, rather than the task itself. In this case, "with" is modifying an action.

The biggest problem with (D) is that it can be hard to see which scenario applies. "With" could be a noun modifier or a verb modifier.

Take another look: "the CEO defused a quite tense situation with a public statement." It really isn't clear whether "with a public statement" is functioning as verb modifier explaining how the CEO defused the situation, or functioning as a noun modifier describing the situation itself.

In other words, a "defused a quite tense situation with a public statement," could be one in which a disastrous public statement was the very situation the CEO defused, or it could be the case that the CEO defused a situation by issuing a public statement. The possibility of two interpretations makes (D) more confusing than (B), in which it's crystal-clear that the public statement was how the CEO defused the situation. Clarity beats ambiguity every time, so (B) is a better option.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [21]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
janadipesh wrote:
Please clarify the below points
1. by publicly stating and by stating publicly ...both are ok?
2. usage of that or which . in this particular case , are both ok?
1. I think both are okay.

Before we take (2), remember that when we see a "comma + which", the information contained in the which clause is just additional information and is not used to define the noun that the which points to (it works the opposite way for that).

2. No. We'll need a that here (not a ", which"). The reason for this is that we want to say "the CEO defused a tense situation", and not "the CEO defused a situation". For example:

The mathematician solved a problem that was considered impossible to solve. ← We should read the whole thing as a unit.
The mathematician solved a problem, which was considered impossible to solve. ← Here we don't take a problem and the which clause as a unit.

The second one is not correct as the information about the problem is essential (it helps the reader understand that a particular type of problem, not just any problem, was solved).
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

A. a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault -- It may weirdly mean that CEO turned the situation tense by making the statement: funny!

B. a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault --- The correct choice. .. a situation, which was quite tense, by stating publicly that Smith, was not responsible for the debacle -- The non-restrictive 'which' is not correct since the meaning will be insensible without the situation being tense.The use of comma after Smith is wrong . we do not separate a subject from its verb

D. a quite tense situation with a public statement about the debacle not being Smith’s fault---' Debacle not being' , that is, --using being as a modifier-- is not in the vibe of GMAT.

E. a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault --We must use 'that' after stating; 'The debacle not to have been' is too clumsy.

Originally posted by daagh on 04 May 2019, 01:24.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Jul 2019, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [11]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

A. a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
B. a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
C. a situation, which was quite tense, by stating publicly that Smith was not responsible for the debacle
D. a quite tense situation with a public statement about the debacle not being Smith’s fault
E. a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault

SC36241.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Option A- wrong because the part " With.... " Changes the intended meaning. she created a situation NOT with a statement, it would be rather - by a statement or announcing....
Option B- no issue.
Option C- no grammatical or meaning issue, but not preferred bcz its indirect.
Option D- has same issue as option A has.
Option E- missing a THAT after " Stating " and wrong construction.

Correct option- B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [10]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:
just would like to clarify a doubt.

In option B, ' by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith???s fault' is modifying the action verb defused right? Could someone please help to confirm this? thanks

That's right! How did the CEO defuse the situation? By publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith's fault. "By publicly stating..." functions as an adverb, modifying the verb "defused".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [9]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JS1290 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option E is incorrect?
There are two problems in option E:

... a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

1. A quite tense situation is not the right way to express that idea. For example:

She solved a question that was quite tough. ← This one is fine.
vs.
She solved a quite tough question. ← This is not correct.

He watched a movie that was quite long. ← This one is fine.
vs.
He watched a quite long movie. ← This is not correct.

2. Stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault is better (more direct) than stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jamalabdullah100 wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
JS1290 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option E is incorrect?
There are two problems in option E:

... a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

1. A quite tense situation is not the right way to express that idea. For example:

She solved a question that was quite tough. ← This one is fine.
vs.
She solved a quite tough question. ← This is not correct.

He watched a movie that was quite long. ← This one is fine.
vs.
He watched a quite long movie. ← This is not correct.

2. Stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault is better (more direct) than stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

Why are the parts in bold not correct?

Quite cannot take that position in that structure. This is something that we'll have to remember.

a + quite + [adj] + [noun] ← This is not correct. We need to move that quite.

1. a quite tough question ← This is not correct.

2. a question that was/is quite tough ← This is fine.
3. quite a tough question ← This is fine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
AjiteshArun,

I hope you are doing good.

I have a small doubt to discuss. Although I chose option (B) as the correct choice, one thing that threw me off was the placement of comma + by stating.... As per my understanding, a "present participle phrase" or a "verb-ing modifier" acts an action modifier that modifies its preceding action.
Here, the sentence is,
Quote:
"the CEO (S1) defused (V1) a situation that (S2) was (V2) quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.
So, does not "verb-ing modifier" modify the just preceding action "that was tense" here? Logically it should refer to the first action, but the placement of the "comma" does bring up that room for ambiguity in my opinion, what do you think about this? I have read Charles' explanation on why "comma" does not necessarily make this option incorrect, but I feel that it does make it a bit ambiguous.

Regards

Hi PyjamaScientist,

Good question. I'm not sure how you normally look at present participles, but by publicly stating is a prepositional phrase. It tells us how she defused a tense situation.

That said, other experts may be in a better position to help you with this. I generally avoid taking calls on comma usage (with the exception of issues like comma splices, the GMAT doesn't seem to be too interested in testing commas). For what it's worth, as far as I know, using commas with adverbials like this one doesn't involve any hard and fast rules.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chayma wrote:
Mandy passed an exam that was quite difficult. --> OK
Mandy passed a quite difficult exam. --> WRONG

I don’t understand why this is wrong

Hi chayma,

This is one of those somewhat frustrating issues in English (such issues are, of course, not limited to English). The word quite simply cannot take that position in that structure. This is something that we'll have to remember.

a + quite + [adj] + [noun] ← This is not correct. We need to move that quite.

1. a quite tough question ← This is not correct.

2. a question that was/is quite tough ← This is fine.
3. quite a tough question ← This is fine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I do not understand why "Mandy passed a quite difficult exam" is incorrect. "Difficult" modifies "exam" and "quite" modifies "difficult". Thank you again.

Hi woohoo921,

Until you receive a better response: does that structure sound good to you (don't worry about whether the modifiers seem to be okay)? If it doesn't, you probably don't need to worry too much about this issue.

If it does, things become a little tougher. The problem with [a quite + {adj} + {noun}] is that it is relatively rare, and is typically used only in very specific situations, to achieve certain effects. The GMAT most likely won't ask us to take that kind of call (it'd be too fine a call to test). On the other hand, the GMAT does occasionally ask us to pick a stylistically preferable option, which is what we're doing here.

In other words, [a quite + {adj} + {noun}] is technically not impossible, but it's also not how most people normally use quite.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
JaydeepPatadiya wrote:
alicebling wrote:
Can someone please explain why a comma is needed in front of "by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault." Is it stil correct if the comma is removed?? Thank you!

I also have some what similar query. After comma "by publically stating that....." is an independent clause. I rejected this schoice because two independent clauses can not be connected by comma. I'd appreciate if experts can help here to understand why my reasoaning is incorrect.

Hey JaydeepPatadiya

Happy to help you with this.

Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

1. The first takeaway is that the words "by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault" do not form an Independent Clause. This is just a prepositional phrase:
    Preposition: by
    Complete Object of Preposition: publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
    Main Object of Preposition "by": stating (verb-ing noun a.k.a. a gerund)

So, "by publicly stating something" is just a prepositional phrase in which:
    something = that the debacle was not Smith's fault

In order to improve your ability to distinguish between phrases and clauses, I strongly recommend you strengthen your basics of grammar and work on deriving the Sentence Structure of complex sentences.

2. Now, let's come to the question of the comma placed before this prepositional phrase "by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault".
This prepositional phrase modifies the verb "defused", telling us "how" the situation was defused. Now, the comma has been placed before 'by' only to make it clear that this prepositional phrase modifies 'defused' and nothing else in between.

This is normally done when the preceding object is especially long. The comma signifies the end of that object and the start of the next part of speech, in this case an adverb. This eliminates any possible ambiguity or unintended modification.

So, although this comma is not absolutely necessary here, it certainly makes the sentence more comprehensible.

I hope this helps improve your understanding of adverbial prepositional phrases.

Happy Learning.

Abhishek
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos