Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1730 [22]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1730 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Although the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was [#permalink]
Kudos
Doesn't choice D change the meaning of the sentence:

D. The first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois, but it was not followed by another such identification for over twenty years

The first Homo erectus was identified in the 1890's by Eugene Dubois, not necessarily found in the 1890's by Eugene Dubois.
The first Homo erectus could have been found by someone else or been unable to be identified.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

Sorry,
But still not clear :(

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To put it simply, "while" implies that two or more actions take place at the same time, and this implication does not make sense in this context.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Your reasoning seems correct. Good job!
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Although the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois, it had not been followed by another such identification for over twenty years.

A. Although the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois, it had not been followed by another such identification for over twenty years. Incorrect

pronoun error - it refers what?

B. Although not been followed by another such identification for over twenty years, in the 1890s Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois found the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified. Incorrect

modifier error - 'not been followed ' modifies Eugene Dubois

C. Although identified by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois in the 1890s, the identification of the first Homo erectus, or early human, had not been followed by another such identification for over twenty years. Correct

D. The first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois, but it was not followed by another such identification for over twenty years Incorrect

pronoun error - it refers what?

E. The first identified Homo erectus, or early human, was not followed by another such identification for over twenty years, while it was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Incorrect

meaning change, pronoun error - it refers what?
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DUnada wrote:
Doesn't choice D change the meaning of the sentence:

D. The first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois, but it was not followed by another such identification for over twenty years

The first Homo erectus was identified in the 1890's by Eugene Dubois, not necessarily found in the 1890's by Eugene Dubois.
The first Homo erectus could have been found by someone else or been unable to be identified.

Hello DUnada,

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubts.

Your assessment is correct that Option D conveys that Eugene Dubois found the Homo Erectus, but does not convey that he identified it; however, this is, in fact, the intended meaning. Options B, D, and E all identify "Eugene Dubois" as the one who found the Homo Erectus, as conveyed through the constructions "Eugene Dubois found the first Homo erectus" (B), "was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene Dubois" (D), and "it was found in the 1890s by Dutch anatomist Eugene" (E). By contrast, Option A uses the construction "the first Homo erectus...to be identified was in the 1890s by...Eugene Dubois"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; it does not identify "Eugene Dubois" as the one who identified the Homo Erectus. Similarly, Option C incorrectly uses "identified by...Eugene Dubois in the 1890s" to modify "the identification", illogically implying the Eugene Dubois identified the identification of the Homo Erectus; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction. Thus, there is no answer choice that conveys the meaning that Eugene Dubois was the one to find the Homo Erectus.

Hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

In option E,
The option statement says that the first discovery was not followed by another such identification for 20 years.
"while it was ….." The part after comma is not clear to what this refers to? Does "it" refer to the first discovery or second?
Am I right in my analysis.

Please evaluate.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

In option E,
The option statement says that the first discovery was not followed by another such identification for 20 years.
"while it was ….." The part after comma is not clear to what this refers to? Does "it" refer to the first discovery or second?
Am I right in my analysis.

Please evaluate.

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

To answer your query, in Option E, "it" can only refer to "The first identified Homo erectus", as the second discovery is only referred to as "such identification", and it does not make any sense to say that an "identification" was "found"; remember, pronoun ambiguity does not apply if there is only one referent that the pronoun can logically refer to.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

Then what would be the errors of Option E?

Please Elaborate.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

Then what would be the errors of Option E?

Please Elaborate.

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

The most major error in Option E is the use of "while"; the use of "while" illogically implies that no other such identification took place for 20 years, during the time when the first Homo Erectus that was ever identified was found in the 1890s by Eugene Dubois; the intended meaning is that in the 1890s Eugene Dubois found the first Homo Erectus that was ever identified, but no other such identification took place for the following 20 years; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

Sorry,
But still not clear :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Please clarify why D is the best option and not C, the logic involving "had" is unconvincing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Although the first Homo erectus, or early human, to be identified was [#permalink]
Ritik25

Hi,
I hope I can resolve your query.
The major error in option C is the opening modifier.
"Although identified....." This cannot modify the opening entity. Although identified cannot be the identification. Hence, option C is incorrect.
Plus the use of Past-Perfect requires another action to be in simple past tense. Hence, there is no action in simple past.

Base on the above two errors, option C is incorrect.

EducationAisle :- Please validate my reasoning.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
krndatta wrote:
Hi,
I hope I can resolve your query.
The major error in option C is the opening modifier.
"Although identified....." This cannot modify the opening entity. Although identified cannot be the identification. Hence, option C is incorrect.
Plus the use of Past-Perfect requires another action to be in simple past tense. Hence, there is no action in simple past.

Base on the above two errors, option C is incorrect.

:- Please validate my reasoning.

Thanks

Thank you very much. I agree the modifier was the major error, and shouldn't be missed.

Can you elaborate on the verb tenses? In addition, can you tell me where to study the theory regarding verb tenses specifically as they are used in the GMAT?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts