GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2007, 06:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:12) correct 42% (01:19) wrong based on 1237 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,

(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment

(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago

(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,

(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment
Manager
Manager
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2007, 07:37
I will go with A. The verb attempt can only take an infitive as verbal direct object. The sentence is fine as it is.

Regards

Subhen

Manager
Manager
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2009, 03:56
I think the ans is A.What is the OA?

I think attempt to is the correct idiom.
In E that has begun is wrong.Whenever a definite time is specified (like 'two decades ago' in this case) you have to use simplepast tense
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:41
Idiom: is it attempt to, attempt for, or attempt at?
Here it is "Attempt to", so eliminate B, C, and D.

In E, present perfect is the wrong verb tense to use, despite its apparent consistency with "has been unsuccessful".
Present perfect is typically used for actions that began in the past and continue into the present. It can also be used to specify a past event at an indefinite point in the past.
Here, the "two decades ago" makes present perfect an incorrect tense.
Consider "I have lived in New York five years ago." -- doesn't sound right and it isn't right.

So The correct answer is A.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2012, 10:42
Hi All,
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

I would like to begin this post with a word of caution. This sentence is not structured in the most appropriate manner to adhere with the GMAT standards. Many of you may ask and have actually asked that the way verb-ed modifier “begun” has been placed, it can also modify “Equal Rights Amendment”. “begun” is a noun modifier and hence this confusion is unavoidable. So just solve this question and move on.

PoE

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: This is the correct answer choice.

(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment: Since the purpose of the attempt is to ratify the amendment, we must use to + verb form here. “for ratifying” is not appropriate.

(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago: Same error as in choice B.

(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: Same reason as for choices B and C. “at ratifying” to the show the purpose is not appropriate.

(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment: This choice a verb tense issue. Notice the main verb “has been unsuccessful”. This means that the attempt started in the past and showed some result in the present. Hence, present perfect “has begun” is incorrect.

Take this sentence for example: The project that started two years ago has been successful. (Correct)
The project that has started two years ago has been successful. (Incorrect)

We know that the attempt to ratify the amendment has been unsuccessful. Here, we are talking about the attempt that started two years back and now has been unsuccessful.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:08
Correct usage of "attempt" is attempt + to + verb

A) Grammatically and idiomatically correct.
B) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
C) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
D) "at ratifying" is incorrect.
E) "has begun" is used incorrectly making two events disjoint. The structure "An attempt that has begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful" is incorrect. Correct form will be "An attempt that begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful".

Correct answer is A.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2014, 01:27
Hi all,
I have the same issue as many others with this problem. Usage of 'begun' isn't satisfying as it should be 'began'. 'Begun' is the past participle form of 'begin'. Here, begin word acts as a verb and not as a participle, therefore either it should be preceded by 'has/have' to make it a correct verb or it should be changed to the past form of 'begin' e.e. 'began'.
Please if any expert can comment on this.
Thanks in advance..!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2014, 01:13
(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, --- CORRECT
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago begun --- ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, ---- --- Attempt at is wrong idiom
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment ----- -- 'Has' is wrong tense, it is not continuing till present
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 19:31
Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi all,
I have the same issue as many others with this problem. Usage of 'begun' isn't satisfying as it should be 'began'. 'Begun' is the past participle form of 'begin'. Here, begin word acts as a verb and not as a participle, therefore either it should be preceded by 'has/have' to make it a correct verb or it should be changed to the past form of 'begin' e.e. 'began'.
Please if any expert can comment on this.
Thanks in advance..!!

Hi experts,

Can some one explain the question posted above. I have the same doubt. Usage of begun seems wrong and it should have been 'began'. Please let me know if there is some thing i should know.

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2014, 10:00
Dear Sukant2010 and deepak824,

If you change "begun" to "has began" or "began", the sentence ends up having two verbs (has began/began, has been unsuccessful) without a conjunction in between -- not allowed.

The participle form of the verb can act as an adjective modifier qualifying the "attempt". The resulting sentence (A) has one subject (attempt) and one verb (has been unsuccessful). So you do actually need the participle form here.

--Prasad

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 04:53
scheol79 wrote:
I eventually picked A, but the modifier 'begun almost decades ago' made me pause and think for a bit.

It is obvious that 'begun almost decades ago' is meant to modify the attempt in the context.

But I think that the placement of 'begun almost decades ago', can suggest that the Equal Rights Amendment began almost decades ago, not the attempt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 03:06
vahabMBA wrote:
scheol79 wrote:
I eventually picked A, but the modifier 'begun almost decades ago' made me pause and think for a bit.

It is obvious that 'begun almost decades ago' is meant to modify the attempt in the context.

But I think that the placement of 'begun almost decades ago', can suggest that the Equal Rights Amendment began almost decades ago, not the attempt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

A modifier may in some exceptional cases refer to a noun slightly far away from it. One such case is when another "mission critical" modifier comes in between the modifier and the noun it refers to. A "mission critical" modifier is frequently a prepositional phrase that cannot be placed in another position in the sentence conveniently.

In this case as well, the mission critical modifier "to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment" comes in between the modifier "begun almost two decades ago" and the noun it refers to ("attempt"). Such usage is acceptable in GMAT.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 18:51
Economist wrote:

SCtest3-15

Is "Attempt for something" always incorrect? Please clarify.
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 16:45
nihalsaket wrote:
Economist wrote:

SCtest3-15

Is "Attempt for something" always incorrect? Please clarify.

Yes, The verb "attempt" always depicts intention and for intention we should use the infinitive form "to+verb", not the form "for+verb-ing".
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth PT '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 19:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
vahabMBA wrote:
scheol79 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

A modifier may in some exceptional cases refer to a noun slightly far away from it. One such case is when another "mission critical" modifier comes in between the modifier and the noun it refers to. A "mission critical" modifier is frequently a prepositional phrase that cannot be placed in another position in the sentence conveniently.

In this case as well, the mission critical modifier "to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment" comes in between the modifier "begun almost two decades ago" and the noun it refers to ("attempt"). Such usage is acceptable in GMAT.

But what is wrong in E? It clearly explain the "attempt" and still idiomatic by using "to". I think I'm confused that when should we treat it as "mission critical modifier".
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 04:00
AnotherGmater wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
vahabMBA wrote:

Dear experts

Can someone explain it??
I have same problem...

But what is wrong in E? It clearly explain the "attempt" and still idiomatic by using "to". I think I'm confused that when should we treat it as "mission critical modifier".

The Manhattan SC guide provides a list of the such exceptions to the modifier touch rule.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 06:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 06:33

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap