Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists working in the Andes Mountains recently excavated a bur [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
1. GMATNinja KarishmaB @marrtytargettestprep ThatDudeKnows GMATIntensive why is choice B Correct? I cannot figure why this need not be assumed. We know that planting is associated with Fox and hence the temple could be a representation of Fox.

2. Also wording in sentence 2 is not clear. What does 'to indicate' modify? Does it mean it was excavated to indicate that the temple points to the sun or some othe rreason? Also did not get the relation to the distant hill- why does that matter and why is it presented?

1. Would your logic not hold even if the summer solstice is the time for harvesting? How does the argument assume that the summer solstice is the time for planting?

2. The distant hill is where the stone carving is that indicates the direction of the rising sun at the summer solstice. I don't think any confusion you may have had about the sentence structure would have impacted how you'd think through this question or offer much actionable insight to use on other questions, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists working in the Andes Mountains recently excavated a bur [#permalink]
1. No because the passage is about Fox being associated with teaching about how to irrigate and cultivate plants
2. Well the meaning is not clear. It does not seem to indicate that the distant hill pointed towards the sun, rather it seems that the temple was excavated to indicate the direction of the rising sun and that hthis temple had carving similar to the distant hill. Again though, I do not understand what is the purpose of the distant hill being introduced here? Also I do not undertand why you think the stone carving is at the distant hill to indicate position of the sun, and NOT ON THE TEMPLE ThatDudeKnows

ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
1. GMATNinja KarishmaB @marrtytargettestprep ThatDudeKnows GMATIntensive why is choice B Correct? I cannot figure why this need not be assumed. We know that planting is associated with Fox and hence the temple could be a representation of Fox.

2. Also wording in sentence 2 is not clear. What does 'to indicate' modify? Does it mean it was excavated to indicate that the temple points to the sun or some othe rreason? Also did not get the relation to the distant hill- why does that matter and why is it presented?

1. Would your logic not hold even if the summer solstice is the time for harvesting? How does the argument assume that the summer solstice is the time for planting?

2. The distant hill is where the stone carving is that indicates the direction of the rising sun at the summer solstice. I don't think any confusion you may have had about the sentence structure would have impacted how you'd think through this question or offer much actionable insight to use on other questions, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Great explanation by GMATNinja as always!

Can someone please explain why Charles is stressing to notice "may" here? I am not able to make out any difference had it been the case in which author is trying to PROVE. How can it potentially change our answer choice in general, and in this example?

GMATNinja wrote:
Notice that the conclusion contains the word may. The author is not trying to PROVE that the temple was built as a religious representation of the fox. The author is simply arguing that, based on the evidence cited in the passage, this may have been the case.

GMATNinja wrote:
The conclusion is that "the ancient Andeans may have built the temple as a religious representation of the fox." How does the author arrive at that conclusion?

• Archaeologists recently excavated a buried 4,000-year-old temple in the Andes Mountains.
  • The temple contains "structures that align with a stone carving on a distant hill to indicate the direction of the rising sun at the summer solstice." - Don't worry if you don't understand the meaning of "solstice." Even without knowing the definition, we can infer that the author is referring to some specific time of the year. What's important is that the temple-makers were apparently aware of the sun's position at that specific time when they built those structures.
  • "Alignments in the temple were also found to point toward the position, at the summer solstice, of a constellation known in Andean culture as the Fox." - If the temple-makers constructed some structures related to the position of the sun at the summer solstice, then it would make sense that other structures in the temple are related to the summer solstice. Now we have some other structures pointing to the position of the Fox constellation at the summer solstice. This is evidence (not proof) that the temple-makers designed these structures with the Fox constellation's position in mind.
  • "Local mythology represents the fox as teaching people how to cultivate and irrigate plants." - The fox was obviously an importantly animal to the people of that culture.

So we have evidence that the temple-makers took the summer-solstice position of celestial bodies into account when designing the temple. Some temple structures point towards the position of the Fox constellation, and the fox was an important animal to those people. This suggests that "the ancient Andeans may have built the temple as a religious representation of the fox."

Notice that the conclusion contains the word may. The author is not trying to PROVE that the temple was built as a religious representation of the fox. The author is simply arguing that, based on the evidence cited in the passage, this may have been the case.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument is based?

Quote:
(A) The constellation known as the Fox has the same position at the summer solstice as it did 4,000 years ago.

The conclusion is based on the finding that the temple has alignments pointing towards the position, at the summer solstice, of a constellation.

But this finding is based on the CURRENT alignments. The temple was built 4,000 years ago. What if the constellation has shifted over the course of the last 4,000 years? In that case, the alignment found by the archaeologists would be different than the alignment that existed when the Andeans built the temple. Thus, we would not be able to use the CURRENT alignment to make conclusions about the intentions of the Andeans 4,000 years ago.

Without this assumption, the evidence is clearly undermined, so hang on to (A).

Quote:
(B) In the region around the temple, the summer solstice marks the time for planting.

This may or may not be true, but it is not a required assumption. The author argues that the temple was built to represent the fox. The author is not trying to argue that the temple served a specific agricultural function. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) The temple was protected from looters by dirt and debris built up over thousands of years.

Sure, it is possible that looters moved some of the structures around, but that doesn't make this a required assumption. Even if looters had entered the temple and removed some objects, the structures referred to in the passage could still have their same positions. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Other structural alignments at the temple point to further constellations with agricultural significance.

If the temple structures point to no other constellations besides the Fox constellation, then it is reasonable to conclude that the temple may have been built to represent the fox. However, if the temple pointed to multiple constellations, then it is less likely that the temple was built to represent the fox in particular. In fact, (D) seems to suggest that the temple-makers were more concerned with agriculture in general than with the fox.

So (D) might weaken the argument. Regardless, it is certainly not a required assumption. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) The site containing the temple was occupied for a significant amount of time before abandonment.

The amount of time that the temple was occupied is irrelevant to the argument. Eliminate (E).

(A) is the best answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi avigutman @ReedArnoldMPREP- have the same doubt as Elite097

AviGutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
I did not get the significance then of mentioning the last line "since Local mythology represents the fox as teaching people how to cultivate and irrigate plants". How is this helping the argument in any way simply by showing fox is important to them?

It gives them a reason to build him a temple.

Don’t understand how the author comes to his conclusion (the ancient Andeans may have built the temple as a religious representation of the fox)

based on the premise (Since the local mythology represents the fox as teaching people how to cultivate and irrigate plants).

Avi - I see your response in the red font above - not sure i understand. Could you elaborate perhaps ?

Here were my brainstormed assumptions between the premise and the conclusion

• Temples are places where people are TAUGHT how to cultivate and TAUGHT how to irrigate plants
  • OR
  • Cultivation & Irrigation of Plants must be synonymous with religion, within the Andeans culture

I didnt see either of these -- in the answer choices.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Here were my brainstormed assumptions between the premise and the conclusion

• Temples are places where people are TAUGHT how to cultivate and TAUGHT how to irrigate plants
  • OR
  • Cultivation & Irrigation of Plants must be synonymous with religion, within the Andeans culture

I didnt see either of these -- in the answer choices.

jabhatta2 The argument doesn't require any assumption about where the teaching took place, or even whether the teaching took place.
The word mythology implies made-up stories that were passed on through the generations.
Even in that made-up story, the specific location of the teachings doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the exact temple's location.
The second assumption you came up with is much better. After all, if Andeans had no particular reverence for plant cultivation and irrigation, why would they build a temple for the entity that supposedly taught them those skills?

Why did the author feel the need to tell us about the plant cultivation and irrigation? Well, without that premise, it would be quite difficult to argue that the temple's purpose was to be a religious representation of the fox. Just because you found some alignments that happen to point at a particular constellation at the summer solstice means that the temple's purpose was to be a religious representation of that constellation? Why? What's so special about that constellation? The premise about plant cultivation and irrigation provides that missing reason.
Intern
Intern
Status:Learning to understand GMAT, not just for the scores
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I understand the correct answer but am still not able to find a flaw in my incorrect assumption. I want to learn where am I going wrong in my assumption.

My Assumption: The author has assumed that the local mythology is linked with the Andean culture.

Once I read these words "local mythology" I started thinking that the author assumes that the current people living here (having their own local mythology) are definitely a part of Andean culture. On this basis, I chose option B which I know seems a bit far-fetched.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.99
WE:Operations (Computer Software)
Send PM
Archaeologists working in the Andes Mountains recently excavated a bur [#permalink]
Calling for help
KarishmaB
GMATNinja
MartyMurray
GMATCoachBen
ScottTargetTestPrep
MartyTargetTestPrep
bb
Bunuel

I really didn't understand the passage itself. Here are my doubts:
1. What does alignments with stone carving on hill mean?
2. How does this alignment help in understanding the temple is in direction of rising sun?
3. The temple is also aligned with fox constellation. Why did we speak of rising sun in the beginning when conclusion is geared toward fox representation.

Here's my breakdown of passage
Excavation of a 4,000-Year-Old Temple: Archaeologists have unearthed an ancient temple in the Andes Mountains.

Alignments with a Stone Carving on a Distant Hill:

The temple's structures align with a stone carving located on a distant hill. This alignment indicates the direction of the rising sun at the summer solstice.
This alignment is significant because it helps mark the precise direction in which the sun rises during this particular astronomical event.

Alignments with the Fox Constellation:

The temple's alignments also point toward the position of a constellation known as the Fox.
These alignments occur specifically at the summer solstice.
The Fox constellation holds cultural significance in Andean mythology, where it is associated with teaching people how to cultivate and irrigate plants.

Possible Purpose of the Temple:

Given the alignment with the Fox constellation and its role in agriculture, the passage suggests that the ancient Andeans may have built the temple as a religious representation of the fox.
This implies that the temple could have served as a place of worship or symbolism related to agricultura
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Archaeologists working in the Andes Mountains recently excavated a bur [#permalink]
Conc: The ancient Andeans may have built the temple as a religious representation of the fox.

(A) The constellation known as the Fox has the same position at the summer solstice as it did 4,000 years ago - This question does require a bit of reading precision. We're told that the alignments in the temple, at summer solistice, were found to point to a Fox constellation and therefore, the Andeans might have built the temple for the Fox. This suggests that the discovery of the structure pointing to the Fox constellation, at summer solistice (during an event), was fairly recent, i.e., post un-earthing. Therefore, we can assume that the temple might have been dedicated to the Fox, only if the position of the Fox constellation w.r.t. the solistice didn't change since it was first constructed, i.e,. 4000 years ago. If it was found that it's only pointing to the position of the Fox constellation now, but it wasn't the same when Andeans constructed the temple, then the conclusion doesn't hold water. Solid answer. Keep

(B) In the region around the temple, the summer solstice marks the time for planting - Whether the summer solistice marks the time for planting or not, this doesn't change the reasoning or fact that the temple structure may still align with the Fox constellation and therefore, the temple might have been built as a tribute to the Fox. Drop

(C) The temple was protected from looters by dirt and debris built up over thousands of years. - Answers the question - "Was the temple protected from harm/damage?". Not relevant to the conclusion. Drop

(D) Other structural alignments at the temple point to further constellations with agricultural significance. - Answers the question - "Does the temple point to more constellations?" May be, may be not, but we still need the answer to "Did the Andeans build the temple as a tribute/representation of fox?". Drop

(E) The site containing the temple was occupied for a significant amount of time before abandonment. - Again supports a different conclusion. Drop­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts