Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [19]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forger [#permalink]
gmatexam439 wrote:
Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forgery. Although the canvas and other materials are consistent with most of Cassatt's work, and the subject matter is similar to that of Cassatt's finest paintings, the brush style of this painting is not found in any work known to be Cassatt's. Hence this painting is definitely not a genuine Cassatt.

The art historian's argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

(A) The type of canvas and other materials that Cassatt used in most of her work were readily available to others. --Even if it's not easily available forgerer will most probably find similar canvas
(B) None of Cassatt's works is painted using a brush style that is not exhibited in any of her known works. --Correct. All the art works depict similar brush style
(C) Cassatt's work generally had a characteristic subject matter that distinguished it from the work of other painters of her era. --Out of scope
(D) The most characteristic feature of Cassatt's work is her brush style. --Most characteristic? Too strong
(E) No painter other than Cassatt would be able to match Cassatt's brush style perfectly. --We certainly can't say that for sure

Would anyone please help me out with the meaning of "None of Cassatt's works is painted using a brush style that is not exhibited in any of her known works"?? This sounds a little confusing.

Thanks,
Uma
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forger [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forgery. Although the canvas and other materials are consistent with most of Cassatt's work, and the subject matter is similar to that of Cassatt's finest paintings, the brush style of this painting is not found in any work known to be Cassatt's. Hence this painting is definitely not a genuine Cassatt.

The art historian's argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

(A) The type of canvas and other materials that Cassatt used in most of her work were readily available to others.
(B) None of Cassatt's works is painted using a brush style that is not exhibited in any of her known works.
(C) Cassatt's work generally had a characteristic subject matter that distinguished it from the work of other painters of her era.
(D) The most characteristic feature of Cassatt's work is her brush style.
(E) No painter other than Cassatt would be able to match Cassatt's brush style perfectly.

Source: LSAT

B & D are close. Eliminated D because it's a General Statement about her and the passage talks about Marys Exhibited paintings only. Option B talks about only her exhibited works.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forger [#permalink]
Art historian: This painting, purportedly by Mary Cassatt, is a forgery. Although the canvas and other materials are consistent with most of Cassatt's work, and the subject matter is similar to that of Cassatt's finest paintings, the brush style of this painting is not found in any work known to be Cassatt's. Hence this painting is definitely not a genuine Cassatt. Why?

Since, for the painting to be a genuine Cassatt, the brush style should be found in any of the work known to be Cassatt.What if there was a brush style and work that was private to Cassatt? In that case, the argument falls apart, indicating that the painting could be a genuine Cassatt not known to anyone, and to save the argument from such criticism we must assume that all the brush styles used by Cassatt in his works were known while making the argument.

B is absolutely consistent with our thoughts and hence, correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts