Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:26 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  16   
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shuvodip04 wrote:
Sir/Mam I would like your view on my profile below.

I appreciate your nod to gender fluidity! That having been said, my pronouns are "she / hers" ....or "Mam", as it were :)

shuvodip04 wrote:
Indian, Male, 27 yrs , Engineer

Work Experience - 5 years 2months

NGL Analyst-Reliance Industries Ltd - India's biggest public company with concentration in the oil,gas and petrochemicals.Has the world's largest refinery that processes 1.5 million barrels of crude oil.Joined after passing out of college as a trainee in one of their petrochemical plants in 2014 was confirmed as Manager in a year. Mainly looked after the reliability of assets. Handled teams of contract workers in big turnarounds in the plant.

2017 - Was selected out of applicants of around 200 to the company's Supply and Trading group. The group handles the worlds biggest refinery's crude oil trading & operations , product trading & operations, risk management & margin optimization. Was trained in all aspects of the oil and gas trading business promoted to Senior Manager and working as Analyst in the group's Ethane team.This was the first ever project which imported US Ethane(a commodity) into Asia. Here I am involved market research of North American Natural Gas and Liquids Market. Regularly prepare report Have a fair idea about crude oil and product markets- trading(paper and physical), risk management, supply contracts, shipping.

Ok, so Reliance, being a huge name, is certainly well-known in admissions circles. That's the good news. The less-rosy news is that, thanks to its size, there are A LOT OF PEOPLE from Reliance who apply to business schools each year.

This is why your selection to what appears to be an elite internal group is a good thing! This will help re-assure adcoms that you're a strong career performer.

For your applications, please focus primarily on your leadership role in the "first ever project" for Ethane -- the part about "Writing a report" is a lot less compelling (unless a report that you wrote ended up having a massive impact / change on something big that the company did).

shuvodip04 wrote:
GMAT: 660 (Q48 V33, IR6, AWA 3)

Alas, this isn't great. The Q is decent, but the V and especially the AWA is quite low. I strongly, STRONGLY suggest a re-take. Since Verbal is your weakest point, I've heard good things about the e-gmat course and its ability to help with the verbal aspects of the test.

shuvodip04 wrote:
Academics:
• Metallurgical and Material Science Engineering, Jadavpur University, India -CGPA 7.94/72%

Extra-curricular
• Participated in inter department college and office Cricket tournaments. Captain of the team in College.

This is "fine" but a recreational sport played in college won't really grant a lot of "points". That having been said, it's better than nothing, and I am of the opinion that extra-currics matter a lot less than most people think they do... so don't worry here.

shuvodip04 wrote:

Recommendation:- 1)Strong - From my ex manager of current profile who is currently CEO of a Singapore subsidiaries.
2) Moderate- From HOD of my previous work experience in the company

Oooh... "moderate"... is there any way you can find TWO people who will enthusiastically support you? What about your current boss? Or does that risk your position?

shuvodip04 wrote:
Other Achievements:-
i) Received the best performer award in the "ICE-OIL TRADER ACADEMY" from a pool of 22 international participants

Post MBA Goal
Considering MBA with concentration in finance. Post MBA looking to work in a bank in Equity Research or Risk Management in USA,UK or Canada. Come back to India after 2-3 years of experience.

As people who have seen me (on videos / webinars) or who have tried out the ApplicantLab trial know, I'm not a huge fan of applying with a Big Career Change. You may want to do some research on what it takes to get a job in equity research (which, let's be honest, feels like a dwindling field?) or risk management. Maybe I'm too bearish here, but I feel like BOTH equity research AND risk management are jobs that will be increasingly taken over by AI in the coming years, so, e.g. if you were my brother, I'm not sure I'd advise you pursuing those fields.

Your best bet IMHO will be to say that you want to stay in the oil / gas industry but pivot your existing expertise to a corporate finance role internally.

shuvodip04 wrote:
Would like you to suggest some schools which would be a good fit for me? Looking for 1 year courses.
I am looking for universities in UK ,Canada or Asia where I can work post MBA. Would like to know the names of colleges where my work experience in oil and gas sector will be given high weightage and there will be chance of scholarships.

Thanks

Hmmm... well, Canada is probably your best bet re: oil and gas industry. Off the top of my head, U of Alberta has a strong offering in that field, and I'm sure that since oil/gas is an important part of Canada's economy, the other schools there are more likely to have offerings along those lines than unis in the UK or Asia.

One VERY RANDOM thing to note: Rotman MBA program in Canada did a study of its graduates, and found that the biggest determinant of career success for MBA alumni was how well the person scored on the *A.W.A.*. For that reason, I suspect that Rotman probably puts more weight on the AWA than the typical school does.

Also. Oh man. I PROMISE I am NOT saying these things just to be a DEBBIE DOWNER... but I also have a non-awesome prediction. I think the recent drop in oil prices is going to = layoffs in your industry, which is going to = a LOT of folks for your industry applying to b-schools... at least until prices go back up again. For that reason, I'm afraid that the pool will only get more competitive.

Therefore, this only strengthens my opinion that you should re-take the GMAT in the coming months, in order to maximize your chances.

Best regards,
Maria
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there!

Thanks for submitting your profile -- I do have to say that it's a bit vague, so I don't have a SUPER clear sense yet -- by any chance, have you gotten to take the GMAT yet? While the GMAT isn't the "ALL IMPORTANT" piece, it DOES help tremendously with trying to figure out which programs are within reach, academically.

Also, when you said that you are "pursuing" a leadership program -- does that mean that you were in the process of applying for it, or that you DID apply and were accepted, and thus by "pursuing" you mean you're currently working in it? Either way, let's assume that this is what you're currently working in :)

Since you are current doing community-service type of work, then I do think it's OK for you to write about wanting to do social enterprise consulting in your application... since you have some "real" experience with it and are not merely speculating that it sounds like it would be a nice field to work in.

I can't give a TON of advice re the M7 schools, except to say that the top schools that are famous for social enterprise are Kellogg, Yale, Ross... and maybe Tuck?

Honestly though? I know this wasn't the question you were asking, but if you've been in Canada for a couple of years already, wouldn't you already be well on your way to gaining legal residence (or whatever their term for it is?)...

...If I were in your shoes, I'd pursue an MBA in CANADA... maybe even a part-time one (Rotman has this cool program: https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/MastersPrograms/MBAPrograms/MEMBA

Not only will a school like Rotman cost less, but spending that time staying in Canada will set you up well for continued residency.

Here in the US, unless you pursue a "STEM MBA", you'll only be allowed to work for one year post-MBA (and then gamble on getting the H1 visa after that)...

....also, not to gaze into my political crystal ball but I feel that I need to here: if Trump gets re-elected (which seems highly probable) then the anti-immigrant sentiment in the US is bound to stay the same, or perhaps even get worse. So, it's not like I can say: "Take a chance on a US school, and HOPE that the visa situation improves dramatically before you graduate!" since I am not sure that this will happen?

Anyway -- these are my thoughts. I hope it's helpful! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

-Maria

SAcholia wrote:
Hi Maria,

I have heard a lot about ApplicantLab and I appreciate the kind of platform it is:)

Indian, female, 29 years (applying in 2020), IT, 6 years work experience including 2 years International work experience (ongoing and will continue till i get into B-School)
Have to appear for GMAT

Honors(77%) undergrad in Engineering from Tier 2 School- Started a Student Activity Centre at School, Selected for National Science Fellowship for Innovations by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India

Pursuing an internal leadership program(had to compete to get in) with my current employer. This program focuses on demonstrating leadership through working with non-profits- for CSR projects. I am working with non-profits for Technical education focussing on youth and women. I teach there, work on their job applications, resumes and the success of my project depends on the number of people getting into jobs. I also train the trainers there.

This is my 4th job, I have worked with Deutsche Bank and Vodafone in past. Currently working for well known IT firm(not Google, Microsoft) in Toronto. I have a decent designation at work and have got leadership opportunity too (with my current employer within a span of 13 months).

I want to write about non-profits in my MBA essays, also I wish to work in non-profit consulting/strategic consulting post MBA - (I am not sure how wise does it sound but that is my initial thought about my story)

I am looking for M7 schools. May I please request you to share your thoughts about my profile and the schools I can seriously think about. I'd also appreciate more of your suggestions.

Happy Holidays!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there -- I *LOVE* your screen-name!!!!!

Ok, so... onwards!

dundermifflin wrote:
Hi Maria,

Thanks for investing your time and effort in such a great product. I was hoping to get your thoughts on my profile as well as any tips/suggestion as I approach applications this coming summer.

Demographics: US citizen, Asian-american
GMAT: 760 (49Q, 45V)
Undergrad: 3.8 GPA at a top 20 US college (non-ivy)
Work experience: 4 years by R1 2020, 5 years at matriculation
Work background: 3 years as a equity research associate in asset management (well-known brand), 0.5 years on the corporate strategy team of the same company (a top tier investment bank) where we execute top priority projects for the CEO. I view my experience as an outside shareholder/investor as very complementary to my current experience of high-level strategic thinking from the inside of a company. Earned 1 promotion (to associate) so far.
Quote:
Ok, so at first I felt a little "womp womp" (sad trombone) re: the research associate gig, ONLY because SOMETIMES that is a job that is a "solitary contributor" job where you use your BRAIN a lot, but it may not necessarily give you a TON of opportunities to use those leadershippy people skills (ie, if it's a role where you're sort of sitting alone in a cube, staring at a Bloomberg console :) ]. BUT! I think it's QUITE interesting that you're working on the internal corporate strategy team now!

This is (I'm guessing? I'm hoping?) giving you some project-management experience (for the CEO?) and also getting a bird's eye view of your industry as a whole.

dundermifflin wrote:
Extracurriculars: president of two college professional clubs (microfinance, int'l business), matched in a formal mentoring program (paired with one kid) after I started working, led intern recruiting on my old work team, VP of college fraternity

Schools: Booth, HBS, Wharton, CBS, Sloan, Kellogg, Tuck (leaning towards Booth the most right now, Tuck probably the least preferred with HBS the reach)
ST Goals: Management consulting, restructuring / turnaround consulting with an aim to gain cross-sector operating/transformational experience
LT Goals: Build a diverse and complementary set of experiences to allow me to become an effective operator (business operations, business development) at a company (or to help me start my own company)

ST goals: Ok, so -- in the free trial part of ApplicantLab, I have some videos you can access on career vision and see why I am not a HUGE fan of saying "management consulting" as a goal -- and for you, restructuring / turnaround I'm not sure is a slam-dunk either, since I don't see a lot of debt-modeling experience in your background (I think?)

LT goal: This is way way way way way way way too generic. Operations and business development are two very different jobs, that require very different skillsets and different types of people find success in them (e.g. I am definitely a bizdev gal, and operations for me is: "ugh".). I'm not saying that *YOU* will not be good at both, I am just saying that *SCHOOLS* will look at these two seemingly-different future job functions and think: "Hmm... it's a bit of a difference?". Also "at a company" is also just a weeeeeeee bit vague :)

As you'll see in the free trial career vision part of my website, you need to weave in your previous experiences into the future goal. SO, if you want to say consulting, I'd say that you want to be something like the FIG group at McK, OR if your current "Strategy" projects deal a lot with digital transformation, then maybe something like doing digital consulting for large banks. You already HAVE that expertise in the banking industry -- make the most of it! And then, I'd also keep the LT goal in the banking industry -- to narrow it down, I'd again look at your major strategy projects and pick that as a cool future destination (e.g. "contactless payments!" "AI asset management advisor!" etc.)

dundermifflin wrote:
Recs: 1 very strong from one of my bosses on old team; either 1 very strong from director of research of old team (providing a different perspective on my intangibles) or 1 above average from manager of new team (not necessarily working with them on all projects)

Would appreciate your thoughts on my candidacy as well as a decision on rec letter strategy (e.g. who to ask from), as well as any additional color to help me understand how to best prioritize the next ~half year leading up to application season.

Thanks!

Since you've been in your current role for less than a year, if you think the older boss will give a stronger recc, then choose that person. You can simply say that you're not comfortable asking the current boss since it might jeopardize your job. However, if in the next few months, you develop a stronger relationship with the newer boss, then "current boss" is always preferred (but prioritize who will say the most enthusiastic things about you!!!)

Re: things to think about doing now, there's a whole "To Do List" module in the Lab to help you keep track of everything you need to do (some of it is also visible via the trial) and also here's a blog post with some of the same advice: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/preparing-apply-mba-program-focus/

Re: the list above. If you're just not "feeling" Tuck, then maybe don't bother applying, OR don't prioritize it for R1. Tuck is an awesome program for the right person, and its small size and isolated location can be amazing for some people... or horrid for others. I don't advocate applying to any program that you're not actually enthused about attending.

I think a challenge for your profile is one that plagues most people from your field: there are an awful lot of people from banking (though admittedly, fewer from the "Strategy" side of things)(which is all the more reason IMHO I'd play up that experience as part of your career story, to really highlight it to them).

I think my advice would be to give it everything you've got in R1 for your top choices... and, in case it doesn't pan out, create a solid list of R2 offerings of schools that have similar benefits -- e.g. if you love Booth for its analytics, check out Tepper. If you love CBS for its finance offerings, also check out NYU and Cornell.

The reason I'm telling you (AND EVERYONE) to be ready to apply to MANY schools this year is that I think the upcoming recession (not that it's guaranteed but it's not looking great as of today's date), is gonna push a LOT OF PEOPLE to apply next year, figuring that they'll ride out the bad economy and then re-enter the workforce in a few years. IF that DOES end up happening, then it MIGHT get more competitive than it has been in the past, so this year more than most, I think folks are going to need to be open minded about casting a wide net for schools that can help them reach their goals.

Thank you!,
Maria
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Maria
1) I am 35. Assuming I am able to answer my purpose, the why, the gmat, essay, profile, gpa etc., are my chances of getting into a good college (1 year program) due to my age, nil? Will my age be a definitive no or is that something I can justify and get through? Some high level perspective would help.
2) My target is for class of 2021 summer. I am working on my gmat and aiming for first week of August'20 if all goes well. Does this allow me sufficient time to leverage all of applicant lab? Time at my end is available. But I am trying to gauge if this is usually the time someone will be able to leverage the best out of applicant lab.
Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello prasannaplm!

So, let me tackle your second question first, since it's the easier one.

YES, you can use ApplicantLab to write your essays within a month -- here is a recent GMATClub-certified testimonial of someone who did just that: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/applicantlab-on-demand-admissions-guidance-tool-345358370

That having been said, there are a FEW things you need to start doing NOW to set in motion -- namely, figuring out your recommenders, since -- while you could always pull an all-nighter if needed, you can't ask your boss to do the same. This blog post covers that: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/applicantlab-on-demand-admissions-guidance-tool-345358370

Now, on to your first question -- your chances of getting into a good 1-year MBA program at age 35 are definitely lower, but they are not nil. Assuming that the rest of your candidacy is strong, then age alone won't keep you out... but your "why MBA, and why now?" does need to be solid. The fact is, that "post-MBA level" of job title is usually something that most people have attained by age 35. So one of many challenges for the older candidates is: "On the one hand, am I TOO qualified for the MBA [that is, will I gain from it or will I instead only be offered jobs several steps backwards?" OR "On the other hand, if someone has not yet reached middle-management by their mid-30s, should we [as an admissions committee] be worried about their professional acumen?"

So yes -- it is doable. Especially if you already have some sort of other graduate degree (which would qualify you for the Cornell 1-year MBA, for example). IF you are, as I hope, already beyond middle-management by this age, the one-year programs known as "Sloan Fellows" at MIT Sloan, LBS, and Stanford (where it's since been re-named to the "MSx" program) could be good -- especially if your company is sponsoring you or if you are self-sponsored (e.g. able to pay your own way, since the 1-year programs have even fewer scholarships than the 2-year programs).

You may also want to look into programs in Europe or Canada; Europe in particular has shorter programs that do then to be more open to the more mature applicant.

Of course, I'm saying all this with absolutely no idea what your work accomplishments, GMAT, etc. are!

In sum -- 35 is USUALLY too "old" to apply to full-time MBA programs, but it is certainly possible -- for a truly competitive candidate, age is just a number and while it will be more difficult, it is certainly feasible.

Thank you!,
Maria

prasannaplm wrote:
Hi Maria
1) I am 35. Assuming I am able to answer my purpose, the why, the gmat, essay, profile, gpa etc., are my chances of getting into a good college (1 year program) due to my age, nil? Will my age be a definitive no or is that something I can justify and get through? Some high level perspective would help.
2) My target is for class of 2021 summer. I am working on my gmat and aiming for first week of August'20 if all goes well. Does this allow me sufficient time to leverage all of applicant lab? Time at my end is available. But I am trying to gauge if this is usually the time someone will be able to leverage the best out of applicant lab.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot Maria! That was a detailed and clear answer. I really appreciate you taking time out for this! I do understand the challenges that I face. I have a graduate degree as well in sciences, a decent gpa and my title is product manager at a popular Mnc. But I can see a mountain I've to climb now, the essay, the profile, the gmat, the big why. Rolling up socks. And I am definitely jumping on to applicant lab.
One last question: The applications usually ask for the undergrad gpa. I do have a decent one, 3.5. But in my graduate, I managed a get a perfect 4.0. So, when I am asked for the gpa should I quote only the undergrad one or can I quote the graduate one instead, it being the latest in time?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there!

For the GPA, you'll end up reporting BOTH your undergrad and grad school grades; they'll ask you to upload scans of your transcripts from both.

When you see in rankings, etc. the "GPA" , they are usually referring to the undergrad GPA, since graduate school is often considered to have "Grade inflation" (ie the stereotype is that it's easier to get a good grade in grad school than in undergrad) .

With your existing graduate degree, you should quality to apply for both the Cornell and the Kellogg 1-year MBA. Other US programs that are 1-year are USC iBear and I believe Emory.

Apart from the European programs I mentioned, you may also want to look into NUS in Singapore; which I think is one year. IF you have international experience (ie, if you regularly work with global counterparts at your MNC or if you have done projects in other markets), then check out INSEAD as well (Again, all of this is assuming strong test-scores, etc.) :)

Thanks!,
Maria

prasannaplm wrote:
Thanks a lot Maria! That was a detailed and clear answer. I really appreciate you taking time out for this! I do understand the challenges that I face. I have a graduate degree as well in sciences, a decent gpa and my title is product manager at a popular Mnc. But I can see a mountain I've to climb now, the essay, the profile, the gmat, the big why. Rolling up socks. And I am definitely jumping on to applicant lab.
One last question: The applications usually ask for the undergrad gpa. I do have a decent one, 3.5. But in my graduate, I managed a get a perfect 4.0. So, when I am asked for the gpa should I quote only the undergrad one or can I quote the graduate one instead, it being the latest in time?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Noted. Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. That was really helpful! Kudos.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Hi Maria,

I love your youtube videos and the Applicantlab product! I am getting ready to work on apps for R1 this upcoming fall and am currently solidifying my goals/visions for my future.

Demographics: US citizen, white male
GMAT: 750
Undergrad: 3.78 GPA at a top 20 US college (double major Econ + Sport Management)
Division 1 varsity athletics
Work (yrs): 3.5 years at time of application, A little over 4 years at matriculation
Work (description): Spent 1 year at a large-cap energy company as a financial analyst on the business development team. Current role is ~2 years working in corporate finance at a mid-cap energy company. Job responsibilities spill over into investor relations as well (due to working at a smaller company (more hats) and getting more responsibility over time).

Extracurriculars: Board member for the athletic department of my undergrad university; volunteer at SPCA (specializing in cats) and assisting with fundraising for special events (raised over 2,000 dollars from local community donors for the most recent event (coronavirus has halted much of these fundraiser efforts); Alumni interviewer for undergrad school; and sports is still a big part of my life.

Goals: Still trying to figure this out, but I am very interested in using my analytical skills to transition into a role that deals with consumer analytics. I don't know if targeting a CPG type role (would be a great base and provide wonderful training for my interests) is too far from my finance/energy background, but that is a big interest of mine. Also interested in the sports industry. I enjoyed a sports marketing internship I did while completing my undergrad, but that was a few years back. I do not want to stay in the energy sector, and desire to work in a sector that I am more passionate about (such as consumer products, sports, or retail) I know top schools are not feeders to pro sports teams and leagues, but this fits with my athletics background and overall passions. Long term goal would be to head up a business unit of a major product or product-line.

Schools: Booth, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia, Ross, Fuqua

Recs: One will be from my current supervisor and one will be from a coworker from my previous job. Potentially will have CFO of my current company be the second recommender, but while we have done some work together and I know him decently well, he cannot speak to my personality as well as my other coworker. I was hoping that the second recommendation would be more personal and show the reader what I am actually like to be around (as well as speaking to some on the job stuff). CFO is also a Booth alum, so I will target him for that school.

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts on my candidacy. I would love to hear what you think about my experience, goals, and strategy for recommendations (and any additional musings you might have)!

Best,
Zack1317
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there Zack1317 !

Let's dig in:

Zack1317 wrote:
Hi Maria,

I love your youtube videos and the Applicantlab product! I am getting ready to work on apps for R1 this upcoming fall and am currently solidifying my goals/visions for my future.

Demographics: US citizen, white male
GMAT: 750
Undergrad: 3.78 GPA at a top 20 US college (double major Econ + Sport Management)
Division 1 varsity athletics
Work (yrs): 3.5 years at time of application, A little over 4 years at matriculation
Work (description): Spent 1 year at a large-cap energy company as a financial analyst on the business development team. Current role is ~2 years working in corporate finance at a mid-cap energy company. Job responsibilities spill over into investor relations as well (due to working at a smaller company (more hats) and getting more responsibility over time).

So, I think you're just a *smidge* on the younger side for applying, but the good news is, you MIGHT AS WELL give it a shot this year and can always re-apply later on.

Working at the smaller company is good; you can use the resume (for sure) and the essays (depending on the school) to highlight how working at a smaller company has given you more responsibility than you would have had otherwise.

The Academic side is strong -- kudos on the 750!

Quote:
Extracurriculars: Board member for the athletic department of my undergrad university; volunteer at SPCA (specializing in cats) and assisting with fundraising for special events (raised over 2,000 dollars from local community donors for the most recent event (coronavirus has halted much of these fundraiser efforts); Alumni interviewer for undergrad school; and sports is still a big part of my life.

As you'll see when you dig into the Lab, one key thing to note in the resume will be telling the reader why that $2k is a big deal -- e.g. "Raised $2,000 (45% more than the previous year)" or "the highest amount raised at an event" -- just because "$2k" is relative... at some non-profits, it would be their fundraising for the entire year, at other non-profits, that would be "a regular Tuesday" :)

Quote:
Goals: Still trying to figure this out, but I am very interested in using my analytical skills to transition into a role that deals with consumer analytics. I don't know if targeting a CPG type role (would be a great base and provide wonderful training for my interests) is too far from my finance/energy background, but that is a big interest of mine. Also interested in the sports industry. I enjoyed a sports marketing internship I did while completing my undergrad, but that was a few years back. I do not want to stay in the energy sector, and desire to work in a sector that I am more passionate about (such as consumer products, sports, or retail) I know top schools are not feeders to pro sports teams and leagues, but this fits with my athletics background and overall passions. Long term goal would be to head up a business unit of a major product or product-line.

Yeah, as you'll see in the Career Vision module, I don't advocate applying with a BIG career switch like this -- since you'd be doing a double-change: both industry, and function (from finance to analytics).

Is there any chance -- and I'm just spit-balling here -- that you could try to get a CPG job now (esp. given how energy -- well, oil at least -- is in a bad place these days?) -- that would not only help with "the story" for applications but frankly will also help you get an internship / job post-MBA as well. CPG can sometimes be a tricky one to get in to without previous experience, or tangential experience (e.g. retail, fashion, etc.).

Quote:
Schools: Booth, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia, Ross, Fuqua

For the "analytics" piece, Booth and Sloan make sense, but I wonder if you'd be better off using a "Renewable energy" career vision -- e.g. since Fuqua has the EDGE (I think that's what it's called?) energy track, Sloan is all about technology (and your current career vision as stated above doesn't seem to be super-techy, etc.)

If you actually are really committed to CPG, some non-fancy schools that are not on the radar for most people, but that have jaw-dropping recruitment numbers into CPG are Indiana and Wisconsin.

Quote:

Recs: One will be from my current supervisor and one will be from a coworker from my previous job. Potentially will have CFO of my current company be the second recommender, but while we have done some work together and I know him decently well, he cannot speak to my personality as well as my other coworker. I was hoping that the second recommendation would be more personal and show the reader what I am actually like to be around (as well as speaking to some on the job stuff). CFO is also a Booth alum, so I will target him for that school.

If the CFO does not know you that well, he will not write as strong of a recommendation as someone else. Resist the temptation to choose him only because he's a Booth alum.

Hope this is helpful!,
Maria
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Maria

This is Prayush Gupta from India and I am a big fan of your product ApplicantLab! I am looking to apply for MBA for Fall 2021 intake to Top 10 US and 1-year in France and UK. My profile snapshot:

Education Background:
  • Manufacturing Processes and Automation Engineer from NSIT (DU) - First Division - 2011-15
  • CFA Level 1 Cleared - Dec 2015

GMAT: yet to appear (~Aug'20)

Professional Experience:
  • Aug'15-Oct'16 | Senior Business Analyst | EXL Services: Worked with Barclays team in their Noida office; Awarded Promising New-Comer; Quit the job to move to Investment Banking related role
  • Oct'16-Jan'17 | Associate Business Analyst | Archer Tech: Startup developing SaaS platform for Real Estate sector; Founded by ex-Wall Street veteran; Managed the Pre-Series A round of financing; Responsible for Recruitment, Pre-sales marketing & Post-sales account management; Realized was fitter for analytics so left after the fund-raise deal closure to a FinTech
  • Jan'17-Feb'18 | Data Scientist | Seynse Tech: FinTech which used Telecom usage & billing, bureau and financial data of borrowers for day 0/instant credit decisioning and disbursal; Was managing the data science unit towards the end of the stint; Had to leave as the startup shut down as it failed to secure funding
  • Feb'18-Present | Manager - Data Science | TransUnion CIBIL: Working currently with the Modeling team of India's largest credit bureau; Managing New-To-Credit and multiple custom scorecard development projects; Awarded WOW Award recently for reducing modeling turnaround time by ~33% using standardization and automation

Social Ventures:
  • Jan'17-Present | Co-Founder | ZARIYA: Online aggregator platform to provide one-stop solution for domestic violence and abuse victims in India; Co-founded with 2 Stanford alumni; Responsible for entire operations; 820+ cases from 25+ states; Leading a team of ~15 Volunteers
  • Sep'17-Present | Data Science Consultant | ZIDISHA: YCombinator funded Microfinance P2P lending platform operational in multiple developing countries; Was leading Indonesia operations but we had to quit the market due to legal constraints; Now supporting scorecard development and monitoring

Other Important Information:
  • Led a team of 40 people developing a solar racecar to compete in the American Solar challenge while in college; developing two prototypes during the 2.5 years of engagement
  • I have a patent application pending for a Rear Suspension design prototype that we developed and used in this race car
  • Dance Enthusiast - Advanced level Salsa and Bachata dancer; Regularly training, dancing and occasionally teaching since Feb'18

Why MBA: Want to improve management and business skillsets; Global exposure and networking opportunities

Dream Job after MBA: Working with a FinTech focused improving credit for the underserved communities globally
Plan B: Consulting role with Financial Services division of leading consulting firms

I would really appreciate it if you could share your feedback on my profile and also your perspective on how to structure my story for maximum impact!
Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi @prayushgupta -- let's jump in:

prayushgupta wrote:
Hi Maria

This is Prayush Gupta from India and I am a big fan of your product ApplicantLab! I am looking to apply for MBA for Fall 2021 intake to Top 10 US and 1-year in France and UK. My profile snapshot:

Education Background:
  • Manufacturing Processes and Automation Engineer from NSIT (DU) - First Division - 2011-15

Ok, so -- without the GMAT score, it can be challenging to know if you've got the "evidence" of being able to handle the top MBA programs' academics... but let's assume that you end up getting a strong score.

Your age is within the right range for the FT MBA programs...so that's good!

Quote:
Professional Experience:
  • Aug'15-Oct'16 | Senior Business Analyst | EXL Services: Worked with Barclays team in their Noida office; Awarded Promising New-Comer; Quit the job to move to Investment Banking related role
  • Oct'16-Jan'17 | Associate Business Analyst | Archer Tech: Startup developing SaaS platform for Real Estate sector; Founded by ex-Wall Street veteran; Managed the Pre-Series A round of financing; Responsible for Recruitment, Pre-sales marketing & Post-sales account management; Realized was fitter for analytics so left after the fund-raise deal closure to a FinTech
  • Jan'17-Feb'18 | Data Scientist | Seynse Tech: FinTech which used Telecom usage & billing, bureau and financial data of borrowers for day 0/instant credit decisioning and disbursal; Was managing the data science unit towards the end of the stint; Had to leave as the startup shut down as it failed to secure funding
  • Feb'18-Present | Manager - Data Science | TransUnion CIBIL: Working currently with the Modeling team of India's largest credit bureau; Managing New-To-Credit and multiple custom scorecard development projects; Awarded WOW Award recently for reducing modeling turnaround time by ~33% using standardization and automation

Ok, so the good news here is that you've been in your current job for 2+ years now -- after the sort stint at Archer Tech, it's good to see some job stability! You may want to explain the ending of the job at Archer and also Seynse shutting down in the "optional essay", so that way you can combat any potential risk of being seen as a "job hopper". Or, if you can get one of your recommendations from Seynse, that will also help establish that you're a valued performer in multiple jobs.

I like the fact that the last two jobs are in the "Credit" space. That also helps build a strong narrative -- I'd therefore assume that the future career vision revolves around... some sort of tech that will expand credit to previously-under served markets?

Quote:
Social Ventures:
  • Jan'17-Present | Co-Founder | ZARIYA: Online aggregator platform to provide one-stop solution for domestic violence and abuse victims in India; Co-founded with 2 Stanford alumni; Responsible for entire operations; 820+ cases from 25+ states; Leading a team of ~15 Volunteers
  • Sep'17-Present | Data Science Consultant | ZIDISHA: YCombinator funded Microfinance P2P lending platform operational in multiple developing countries; Was leading Indonesia operations but we had to quit the market due to legal constraints; Now supporting scorecard development and monitoring

First of all, I once interned at a domestic violence non-profit, so it's a cause that means a lot to me, so a sincere thank you for your efforts there.

I really like the P2P lending platform work -- it ties in very nicely with the "credit" story -- it provides strength to the narrative that this is a passion for you, both in and out of work. Therefore, I'd emphasize the ZIDISHA work more (ie giving it more prominence on the resume; perhaps talking about it in an essay)...it's one more thing you can mention as "evidence" re: your commitment to the credit space.

Quote:
  • Led a team of 40 people developing a solar racecar to compete in the American Solar challenge while in college; developing two prototypes during the 2.5 years of engagement
  • I have a patent application pending for a Rear Suspension design prototype that we developed and used in this race car
  • Dance Enthusiast - Advanced level Salsa and Bachata dancer; Regularly training, dancing and occasionally teaching since Feb'18

These things are nice (bachata can be tricky!) --Re: the solar racecar project, while interesting, it is part of your "old" life and doesn't really tie in closely to the current story around analytics / credit. Therefore, maybe spend one line (total) on that project (both the project + the patent pending) in the resume, in order to free up space to talk more about your more recent accomplishments.
Why MBA: Want to improve management and business skillsets; Global exposure and networking opportunities

Dream Job after MBA: Working with a FinTech focused improving credit for the underserved communities globally
Plan B: Consulting role with Financial Services division of leading consulting firms

I would really appreciate it if you could share your feedback on my profile and also your perspective on how to structure my story for maximum impact!
Thanks![/quote]

The career goal makes a lot of sense given your past two jobs -- finding alternate ways to assess credit-worthiness has been something that companies have been trying to crack for a while, and I'm sure that AI / ML are going to open up some cool opportunities there going forward.

Assuming that you've been a "people leader" vs. simply a "solo contributor" on the analytics side, then I like the overall story. In the essays /resume, be sure to focus on the concrete results of your efforts, as well as your "EQ" / people skills (Vs. the "number crunching" ) skills for maximum impact.

Hope this is helpful!

-Maria
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi @prayushgupta -- let's jump in:

prayushgupta wrote:
Hi Maria

Education Background:

Ok, so -- without the GMAT score, it can be challenging to know if you've got the "evidence" of being able to handle the top MBA programs' academics... but let's assume that you end up getting a strong score.

Your age is within the right range for the FT MBA programs...so that's good!

Quote:
Professional Experience:

Ok, so the good news here is that you've been in your current job for 2+ years now -- after the sort stint at Archer Tech, it's good to see some job stability! You may want to explain the ending of the job at Archer and also Seynse shutting down in the "optional essay", so that way you can combat any potential risk of being seen as a "job hopper". Or, if you can get one of your recommendations from Seynse, that will also help establish that you're a valued performer in multiple jobs.

I like the fact that the last two jobs are in the "Credit" space. That also helps build a strong narrative -- I'd therefore assume that the future career vision revolves around... some sort of tech that will expand credit to previously-under served markets?

Quote:
Social Ventures:

First of all, I once interned at a domestic violence non-profit, so it's a cause that means a lot to me, so a sincere thank you for your efforts there.

I really like the P2P lending platform work -- it ties in very nicely with the "credit" story -- it provides strength to the narrative that this is a passion for you, both in and out of work. Therefore, I'd emphasize the ZIDISHA work more (ie giving it more prominence on the resume; perhaps talking about it in an essay)...it's one more thing you can mention as "evidence" re: your commitment to the credit space.

Quote:

These things are nice (bachata can be tricky!) --Re: the solar racecar project, while interesting, it is part of your "old" life and doesn't really tie in closely to the current story around analytics / credit. Therefore, maybe spend one line (total) on that project (both the project + the patent pending) in the resume, in order to free up space to talk more about your more recent accomplishments.

Thanks!

The career goal makes a lot of sense given your past two jobs -- finding alternate ways to assess credit-worthiness has been something that companies have been trying to crack for a while, and I'm sure that AI / ML are going to open up some cool opportunities there going forward.

Assuming that you've been a "people leader" vs. simply a "solo contributor" on the analytics side, then I like the overall story. In the essays /resume, be sure to focus on the concrete results of your efforts, as well as your "EQ" / people skills (Vs. the "number crunching" ) skills for maximum impact.

Hope this is helpful!

-Maria[/quote]

Thank you so much Maria for such a detailed analysis and insightful feedback on my profile. I look forward to many more such discussions in the coming weeks as I have decided to use ApplicantLab as my MBA application planner. I am confident that your product coupled with your valuable knowledge will be an excellent partner for me during this process.

I am currently awaiting Tepper and Kellogg's results for Fall 2020 R3 while simultaneously preparing for GMAT for next year's admission cycle. Hope to speak to you soon!

Thanks
Prayush!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello everyone.
I am from India. I have done my Bachelor's in Pharmacy with low CGPA of 6.75/10.I have scored 750 on the GMAT and I have participated at various platforms. I have done my Master's in Pharmacoeconomics and Health Economics From German University with CGPA of 3.5/5. I was the Sports Secretary of the college and lead the team of 20+ Volunteers. I have done 2 Internships. And I have work experience of 3 years into Pricing and HEOR at ISPOR. What are the possibilities of getting it into Harvard MBA?

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Okie dokie! Let's jump in...

elPatron434 wrote:
Hello Maria!,
I hope my message finds you in good health. At the outset, I would like to thank you for all your help to the community(I think your insights in the GMAT Club videos are great!).

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the upcoming application cycle(hopefully in R1) and would be extremely grateful if you could help me with a profile eval to assess my chances in schools like ISB, Ross, Stern, Foster, UT Austin, Tepper, Fuqua and NUS (Please do let me know of any other programs that you feel would be a good fit for me)

Background: Male, Indian, 27(at matriculation)
Undergrad : MIT Manipal( A top 15 University); Class of 2016 CG:7.06. Majored in Computer Science (Strong Advanced Maths Scores, Scored over an A in all the pertinent math courses)
GRE: 325(Q:165, V:160, AWA 4), Intend to retake and hopefully score higher

Well the good news is, your GRE score is around average for some of the programs you're targeting (e.g. UT Austin) -- yes, I do think a re-take will be beneficial, but if this is what you got on the first attempt, then hopefully that bodes well for the next take.
Quote:
Work Experience:

3 years 8 months as of August 2020
1. Big Data Engineer at Tesco (Aug'16 - May'19)

A. Designed Pipelines on the company's big data infrastructure(Hadoop Platform) for the company's supply chain
B. Part of team that developed an analytics platform which unified over xxM customer accounts over diverse Tesco platforms to perform efficient forecasting and analysis for targeted promotions to strengthen customer loyalty(left before the results were out).
C. Worked with the company's Thailand business to ideate and led the development of solutions which went on to prevent the loss on XM unsold volumes of items amounting to XXX,XXX$ between 2018 -2019 and also by rating supplier performance for contract renewals
D. Worked with the company's Thailand and Central European business to developed taxonomy for over x million products for enhancing reporting across various levels(store, area, region etc).
E. Point of contact for Thailand's business users on the Engineering issues. Actively identified pain points and devised mechanisms which to address them
F. Tabled Proof Of Concepts' for supplanting the existing codestack with open source languages and frameworks with which upon adoption eventually supplanted 70% of the codebase and almost reduced run time by a third. Developed templates, conducted Knowledge transfer sessions and workshops to facilitate smoother migration for all team members.

Some of this experience is stronger than the others -- be sure to prioritize the bigger leadership stories in the resume (and also leave out tech terms like "Hadoop") -- the work in Thailand seems esepcailly promising... if you made good impact on the business, which it seems like you may have. Stuff like moving to the codebase to open source may not matter as much, unless you can quantify / express just what were the "bottom line" impact / result ("reducing run time by a third" -- I'm not sure what that means in terms of manhours saved.etc.)
Quote:
2. Big Data Engineer at Groupon(Sep'19 - Present):

A. Part of a newly formed team to re-engineer the entire data infrastructure and migrate to the cloud
B. Designed mechanisms to improve efficiency of traffic attribution and thereby funding for marketing ( End results of this are awaited )
C. Improved efficiency and automated the generation of customer subscription metrics for NYSE reporting.

So -- this is a good thing -- you landed at yet another "brand name" company -- and hopefully the results of that marketing attribution study will be available by the time you submit the application! Again, not to repeat myself but the bottom-line impact (e.g. "Helped make $200m / year in advertising spend 15% more efficient by...." ) is better to highlight than things with more "fuzzy" contributions like "migrating to the cloud".

I also like that GroupOn is an online / ecommerce company, and Tesco was retail. This makes for an easier story than if you had worked in two totally different industries!
Quote:
Target Industries
Product management in the big data space at organisations like Walmart, Tesco, Amazon. I intend to build upon my existing capacities as a data engineer and draw on my experiences of working at retail/e-commerce organisations to transition into a data centric product manager and leverage AI/ML to optimise supply chains and improve customer satisfaction. Need business "know-how" on a variety of subjects like supply chains and operations to enable this

Choice of industry makes perfect sense -- OTHER PEOPLE READING THIS: NOTE HOW HE PICKED THREE COMPANIES THAT ARE ALL IN SIMILAR FIELDS: retail / e-commerce. One of my pet peeves is people who say "I want to be a product manager at a tech company, like eBay or Netflix." HUH? Those are two utterly different companies!!! By choosing businesses that 1) are similar and 2) build upon your previous experience, you are showing admissions that you're being thoughtful about your career path.

The fact that you majored in comp sci in undergrad bodes well for your ability to get a product manager job.

Note, however -- if you make the career vision TOO "supply chain-y", be careful that it doesn't overlap too much with your previous experience, OR could ALSO be reached by doing a masters in analytics or a masters in AI. The "Story" needs to focus on the well-rounded business skills -- the AI stuff / supply chain stuff can also be learned via other (cheaper) masters degrees.
Quote:
Extra Curriculars:
1. Elected member of the college core committee and headed a 25 member team for the infodesk and finance categories of the college for a year. Responsible for information dissemination on over 300 events to a 15000 strong student body and the distribution of participation passes to them. Played key roles in developing an online system to handle payments, cash prizes and registrations. This helped boost participation, revenue(over INR 600,000 was collected in participation revenue, a 15% increase from the last cycle) and efficiently streamlined crowds.
2. Work in the community with my parents and a few friends to arrange health camps, school and medical supplies for domestic helps, watchmen, drivers and municipality workers.
3. Play football in local teams and watch a lot of it
4. Organise/Attend pet dog meetups ( I love golden retrievers :p)

I like the college activity about launching an online system to help make payment, etc. easier. The other current extra-currics are a little on the weak side, but I'm sure the golden retriever comment on the resume will make an admissions officer or two smile :)

Quote:
I would be grateful if you could also help me with the following queries,

1. Having worked as a data engineer, is my work experience too technical for top MBA programs?

This is why part of your "job" in your application will be to "translate" your technical work into the bottom-line impact, and also your leadership skills (eg, working with / motivating others)
Quote:
2. While I have striven to understand the functioning of business and the impact of my work in the larger scheme of things and have collaborated effectively with stakeholders from 8 countries , I don't have a client facing role ( mainly because of having worked at product based organisations) Would this be a drawback?

This is fine; interpersonal leadership / "EQ" can be proven in a variety of circumstances.
Quote:
3. Does applying with a GRE disadvantage me in any way? While Universities like Ross and ISB have expressed no preference for either when I had written to them, Universities like Fuqua have advised me to use the score converter to gauge ballpark GRE estimates for the program, whilst also stating that they have no preference between the tests. Now, I feel that the converter is inaccurate(For eg, a 170 on the GRE Quant corresponds to a nonexistent score,53, on the converted scale) and that it reduces the "net score" of an individual (For example, my 325 with a Q/V percentile split of 88%/86% on the GRE corresponds to 690 (Q/V 47/36, percentile split of 63%/81% according to Magoosh's scales(https://magoosh.com/gmat/score/gmat-score-calculator/)) which I feel is way off. Does this mean that the GRE scores are "standardised" to bring them in line with the GMAT during the admissions process? (I realise this is a very ad-com specific question, but I'd be grateful for your views on this)

Ugh, that stupid GRE-to-GMAT converter DEFINITELY feels "off". I am a big fan of taking the GRE -- and to answer your question, for *ME* the percentiles are what matters (or what should matter?) more than the made-up score conversion --- if a school says that they are OK with the GRE, then you can take them at their word. But yeah -- that online converter always feels a bit "off" in terms of saying that the GMAT score would be pretty low. I wouldn't worry about it. If you prefer the GRE test, then take the test you feel more comfortable taking.
Quote:
4. Would you recommend that I take the GMAT over the GRE? (I am a serial note taker and the online whiteboard is proving to be a serious impediment).

I think the online whiteboard is an abomination whose codebase should be deleted and we should all pretend it simply never happened. So yeah -- stick with the GRE if you'll have to take the test at home. My thoughts on this are in my blog post here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/should-i-take-the-new-gmat-online-or-the-gre-at-home/

I hope this has been helpful! I like your choice of schools -- Foster, since it's in Seattle, could be good for Amazon... also look into the Cornell / Cornell Tech MBA programs, since I believe they are also big feeders to Amazon too.

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
neetabhanushali wrote:
Hello everyone.
I am from India. I have done my Bachelor's in Pharmacy with low CGPA of 6.75/10.I have scored 750 on the GMAT and I have participated at various platforms. I have done my Master's in Pharmacoeconomics and Health Economics From German University with CGPA of 3.5/5. I was the Sports Secretary of the college and lead the team of 20+ Volunteers. I have done 2 Internships. And I have work experience of 3 years into Pricing and HEOR at ISPOR. What are the possibilities of getting it into Harvard MBA?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi there neetabhanushali --

You asking me, an admissions expert, "What are the possibilities of getting into Harvard's MBA?" would be akin to me asking you, as a pharmacist: "Should I take this pill that I found?" In a nutshell, I'd need A LOT MORE INFORMATION first! :)

Let's start with the easy stuff: the 750 is a good way to balance out the (as you called it) "low" GPA.

With three years of experience, you're at / maybe a year or two below a great age, experience-wise, to apply to HBS.

Before we go any further, you may want to watch my video on the "AdComs' Hierarchy of Needs" here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-admissions-committees-needs-meet-needs/

As you'll see, the devil is in the details -- specifically, the LEADERSHIP details.

I had to look up what ISPOR was, since it's not exactly a recognizable name brand. It appears to be some sort of health research think-tank, that also puts on conferences, etc.

USUALLY, "research" jobs are toughies, since usually "research" is:
    1) Solitary (that is, no opportunity to lead others, at least not in a massive way)
    2) Theoretical (that is, it often deals with data that is so high-level that it's difficult to concretely say: "Yes. 3,285 patients' lives were saved thanks to this.")
    3) Past-looking, not forward-looking (that is, instead of, say, driving innovation at a fast-paced biotech firm, oftentimes economics research looks at past datasets...the value of which can be difficult to prove (see "theoretical" point above)

For those reasons, it can be difficult for me, if I put on an admissions hat, to tell if someone doing healthcare pricing research has strong leadership skills or not. Not because you DON'T have these skills, but rather, because it's possible that your job has not allowed you to demonstrate or to develop these skills.

So -- without knowing what sort of impact you've made on 1) your organization 2) the healthcare industry more broadly, and without knowing 3) how many people you've had to lead / manage / inspire / persuade / etc. along the way, I can't possibly give any idea about your chances of HBS, any more than you could tell me if I should take a pill that I found on the sidewalk. :)

Hopefully though, some of what I wrote above, as well as my blog post, can help you start to figure out which facets of your experience to date would indeed be interesting to highlight to an admissions committee.

Thanks,
Maria
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
ApplicantLab wrote:
Okie dokie! Let's jump in...

elPatron434 wrote:
Hello Maria!,
I hope my message finds you in good health. At the outset, I would like to thank you for all your help to the community(I think your insights in the GMAT Club videos are great!).

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the upcoming application cycle(hopefully in R1) and would be extremely grateful if you could help me with a profile eval to assess my chances in schools like ISB, Ross, Stern, Foster, UT Austin, Tepper, Fuqua and NUS (Please do let me know of any other programs that you feel would be a good fit for me)

Background: Male, Indian, 27(at matriculation)
Undergrad : MIT Manipal( A top 15 University); Class of 2016 CG:7.06. Majored in Computer Science (Strong Advanced Maths Scores, Scored over an A in all the pertinent math courses)
GRE: 325(Q:165, V:160, AWA 4), Intend to retake and hopefully score higher

Well the good news is, your GRE score is around average for some of the programs you're targeting (e.g. UT Austin) -- yes, I do think a re-take will be beneficial, but if this is what you got on the first attempt, then hopefully that bodes well for the next take.
Quote:
Work Experience:

3 years 8 months as of August 2020
1. Big Data Engineer at Tesco (Aug'16 - May'19)

A. Designed Pipelines on the company's big data infrastructure(Hadoop Platform) for the company's supply chain
B. Part of team that developed an analytics platform which unified over xxM customer accounts over diverse Tesco platforms to perform efficient forecasting and analysis for targeted promotions to strengthen customer loyalty(left before the results were out).
C. Worked with the company's Thailand business to ideate and led the development of solutions which went on to prevent the loss on XM unsold volumes of items amounting to XXX,XXX$ between 2018 -2019 and also by rating supplier performance for contract renewals
D. Worked with the company's Thailand and Central European business to developed taxonomy for over x million products for enhancing reporting across various levels(store, area, region etc).
E. Point of contact for Thailand's business users on the Engineering issues. Actively identified pain points and devised mechanisms which to address them
F. Tabled Proof Of Concepts' for supplanting the existing codestack with open source languages and frameworks with which upon adoption eventually supplanted 70% of the codebase and almost reduced run time by a third. Developed templates, conducted Knowledge transfer sessions and workshops to facilitate smoother migration for all team members.

Some of this experience is stronger than the others -- be sure to prioritize the bigger leadership stories in the resume (and also leave out tech terms like "Hadoop") -- the work in Thailand seems esepcailly promising... if you made good impact on the business, which it seems like you may have. Stuff like moving to the codebase to open source may not matter as much, unless you can quantify / express just what were the "bottom line" impact / result ("reducing run time by a third" -- I'm not sure what that means in terms of manhours saved.etc.)
Quote:
2. Big Data Engineer at Groupon(Sep'19 - Present):

A. Part of a newly formed team to re-engineer the entire data infrastructure and migrate to the cloud
B. Designed mechanisms to improve efficiency of traffic attribution and thereby funding for marketing ( End results of this are awaited )
C. Improved efficiency and automated the generation of customer subscription metrics for NYSE reporting.

So -- this is a good thing -- you landed at yet another "brand name" company -- and hopefully the results of that marketing attribution study will be available by the time you submit the application! Again, not to repeat myself but the bottom-line impact (e.g. "Helped make $200m / year in advertising spend 15% more efficient by...." ) is better to highlight than things with more "fuzzy" contributions like "migrating to the cloud".

I also like that GroupOn is an online / ecommerce company, and Tesco was retail. This makes for an easier story than if you had worked in two totally different industries!
Quote:
Target Industries
Product management in the big data space at organisations like Walmart, Tesco, Amazon. I intend to build upon my existing capacities as a data engineer and draw on my experiences of working at retail/e-commerce organisations to transition into a data centric product manager and leverage AI/ML to optimise supply chains and improve customer satisfaction. Need business "know-how" on a variety of subjects like supply chains and operations to enable this

Choice of industry makes perfect sense -- OTHER PEOPLE READING THIS: NOTE HOW HE PICKED THREE COMPANIES THAT ARE ALL IN SIMILAR FIELDS: retail / e-commerce. One of my pet peeves is people who say "I want to be a product manager at a tech company, like eBay or Netflix." HUH? Those are two utterly different companies!!! By choosing businesses that 1) are similar and 2) build upon your previous experience, you are showing admissions that you're being thoughtful about your career path.

The fact that you majored in comp sci in undergrad bodes well for your ability to get a product manager job.

Note, however -- if you make the career vision TOO "supply chain-y", be careful that it doesn't overlap too much with your previous experience, OR could ALSO be reached by doing a masters in analytics or a masters in AI. The "Story" needs to focus on the well-rounded business skills -- the AI stuff / supply chain stuff can also be learned via other (cheaper) masters degrees.
Quote:
Extra Curriculars:
1. Elected member of the college core committee and headed a 25 member team for the infodesk and finance categories of the college for a year. Responsible for information dissemination on over 300 events to a 15000 strong student body and the distribution of participation passes to them. Played key roles in developing an online system to handle payments, cash prizes and registrations. This helped boost participation, revenue(over INR 600,000 was collected in participation revenue, a 15% increase from the last cycle) and efficiently streamlined crowds.
2. Work in the community with my parents and a few friends to arrange health camps, school and medical supplies for domestic helps, watchmen, drivers and municipality workers.
3. Play football in local teams and watch a lot of it
4. Organise/Attend pet dog meetups ( I love golden retrievers :p)

I like the college activity about launching an online system to help make payment, etc. easier. The other current extra-currics are a little on the weak side, but I'm sure the golden retriever comment on the resume will make an admissions officer or two smile :)

Quote:
I would be grateful if you could also help me with the following queries,

1. Having worked as a data engineer, is my work experience too technical for top MBA programs?

This is why part of your "job" in your application will be to "translate" your technical work into the bottom-line impact, and also your leadership skills (eg, working with / motivating others)
Quote:
2. While I have striven to understand the functioning of business and the impact of my work in the larger scheme of things and have collaborated effectively with stakeholders from 8 countries , I don't have a client facing role ( mainly because of having worked at product based organisations) Would this be a drawback?

This is fine; interpersonal leadership / "EQ" can be proven in a variety of circumstances.
Quote:
3. Does applying with a GRE disadvantage me in any way? While Universities like Ross and ISB have expressed no preference for either when I had written to them, Universities like Fuqua have advised me to use the score converter to gauge ballpark GRE estimates for the program, whilst also stating that they have no preference between the tests. Now, I feel that the converter is inaccurate(For eg, a 170 on the GRE Quant corresponds to a nonexistent score,53, on the converted scale) and that it reduces the "net score" of an individual (For example, my 325 with a Q/V percentile split of 88%/86% on the GRE corresponds to 690 (Q/V 47/36, percentile split of 63%/81% according to Magoosh's scales(https://magoosh.com/gmat/score/gmat-score-calculator/)) which I feel is way off. Does this mean that the GRE scores are "standardised" to bring them in line with the GMAT during the admissions process? (I realise this is a very ad-com specific question, but I'd be grateful for your views on this)

Ugh, that stupid GRE-to-GMAT converter DEFINITELY feels "off". I am a big fan of taking the GRE -- and to answer your question, for *ME* the percentiles are what matters (or what should matter?) more than the made-up score conversion --- if a school says that they are OK with the GRE, then you can take them at their word. But yeah -- that online converter always feels a bit "off" in terms of saying that the GMAT score would be pretty low. I wouldn't worry about it. If you prefer the GRE test, then take the test you feel more comfortable taking.
Quote:
4. Would you recommend that I take the GMAT over the GRE? (I am a serial note taker and the online whiteboard is proving to be a serious impediment).

I think the online whiteboard is an abomination whose codebase should be deleted and we should all pretend it simply never happened. So yeah -- stick with the GRE if you'll have to take the test at home. My thoughts on this are in my blog post here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/should-i-take-the-new-gmat-online-or-the-gre-at-home/

I hope this has been helpful! I like your choice of schools -- Foster, since it's in Seattle, could be good for Amazon... also look into the Cornell / Cornell Tech MBA programs, since I believe they are also big feeders to Amazon too.

Thanks!

Thanks a ton for your detailed review Maria/ ApplicantLab ! I shall look into Cornell too! I am not too keen on a Tech MBA though as I feel that the traditional MBA would provide me with more rounded opportunities (primarily as a good Plan B pertaining to careers both in tech and outside tech ).

An add on to my earlier questions,

1. Is my list of Indian School Of Business, Ross(Probably the toughest of the list, but I seem to have developed a fondness for the school), Stern, Foster, UT Austin, Tepper, Fuqua, USC/UCLA/Haas and NUS/NTU pragmatic and achievable considering my profile? I intend to apply to them along with maybe Sloan as my longshot low probability dream school.

2. Also it would be extremely helpful if you could share your thoughts on a favorable ballpark GRE score for profiles like mine for these universities?

3. I have just gone through https://gmatclub.com/blog/2020/05/mba-application-updates-of-50-b-schools-amid-covid-19/
Considering this to be the case, would it be even prudent to apply in R1 next year? (For eg, it says that Ross is offering a deferral to all the international students. So assuming a lot of them would roll over to the next class, realistically, how many international students would they admit to the class of 2023?). How does one gauge the number of deferrals being provided by universities and deciding on when to apply(For eg, a potential delay might lead to job cuts which could then debase an individual's profile and potentially further delay when they'd be ready to apply)

I deeply regret the inconvenience I'm causing by flooding you with so many queries. I'm going coo-coo running all these scenarios in my head and would love your thoughts on them.

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  16