Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Re: AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA| - 2019 edition! [#permalink]
Hi Souvik!

I'd be grateful if you provided your views on my profile.

Background:
Nationality : Indian (male)
Career : Investment Banking + Private Equity
Qualification : Chartered Accountant
GMAT : 700
TOEFL : Not required as I have undertaken my undergraduate studies in English

Education:
Qualified Chartered Accountant from ICAI (considered to be a tough exam with passing % around 7-10%)
Bachelors of Commerce (3 year course) from R A Podar College (Mumbai University) passed with Distinction in all 3 years

Work Experience: Total 7+ years
Job 1 - Mid Market Investment Bank
Worked for 3 years in a small team of 3 people in the Industrial and Infrastructure segment. Closed 2 transactions aggregating to USD 50+ million (1st transaction was a cross border M&A with an Italian company while 2nd transaction was a structured finance transaction from one of the leading global PE fund). No international travel, but lots of interactions across Europe / Asia during the various M&A transactions that I worked on. Was very difficult to crack into the IB segment not being a MBA grad and started working as an intern eventually rising to the position of an Associate.

Job 2 - Private Equity Fund
Mid market PE fund with an AUM of ~USD 350 million. Worked on a couple of rounds of follow on investment along with bolt on acquisitions for the existing portfolio companies. Was deeply involved in day to day management of the portfolio companies as the fund philosophy was similar to that of a buy out fund. Helped turnaround 2 of the companies under my active management through various cost optimisation and revenue focused initiatives. Helped exit 4 of the portfolio companies returning ~2x the original investment.

Extra curriculars - An adrenaline junkie, have traveled widely searching for various extreme sport activities including sky diving, rafting, bungee jumping, cliff jumping, scuba diving, etc. Also interested in poker and football (soccer) and traveled quite a bit following the club I support (Liverpool FC). Used to play Basketball and Football in high school and represented the school at a district level. Also involved in quizzing and took represented high school in a televised quiz competition.

Post MBA Goal - Continue working in Private Equity which is my passion. Want to actively work in funds that are focused on creating a social as well as environment impact on the society. In the long term, I would want to start a PE fund of my own based on the above principles.

Target Schools - INSEAD, LBS, Columbia J Term, Kellogg

I thank you for the taking the time to go through my profile above, any thoughts / views you may have are much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ankit
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi, I am A doctor, percentage- 62%. work ex- 4 years, I want to do Mba in healthcare managment. Please suggest some schools from Asia and USA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I have watched your webinar on the Profile evaluation. Thanks for the insightful suggestions.
Please have a look at my profile and help me in finding answers to my questions.

Briefly:

Indian Male 25
10th-94
12th-93
Grad Mech Engineering(BTech)-92
Not yet given GMAT.

EC's:
Captain of an ecokart making team from university- Stood in Top 10 national level
Organized events in university ( National Level too)
Part of an NGO. Teaching
Club President in university
University gold medalist

Work ex:
Senior Software Analyst- 4 yrs(Single company) of working in an IT product based company that is into the engineering sector. Service-based product development providing customizations on the product based on customer requests.
Has international exposure to client locations
Also acts as a trainer on our product to customers
Recognized with awards for good performance.

Targets:(Trying for 2021 Sept)
ISB
UK Schools
Not yet fixed on US B schools(Because of 1 year OPT)
Interested in Operations, Supply Chain, General Management

Ques:
Is it preferable to choose 1 year MBA over 2 year MBA?
What are the factors that should force us to get into a 1 year MBA compared to 2 year MBA courses?
Is it wise to choose UK B schools over others?
My chances of getting into Top B schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA| - 2019 edition! [#permalink]
Hi sir,

I plan to pursue MS in Finance from the US, preferably, or the UK.

Profile:
1. Age 25
2. Nationality: Pakistani
3. UG: BBA (Hon's) Double Majors in Finance and Marketing from Lahore School of Economics (2nd best business school in Pakistan)
4. CGPA: 3.56/4.0
5. Internships: AIESEC; LABELS - an upscale fashion retail chain in Pakistan
6. GMAT to be taken: expected score 680-700
7. Languages: Fluent in English & Urdu
8. Extracurricular: Played under 19 cricket at regional level; won Special Mention at the most competitive Model United Nations conference in Pakistan; won another debating competition at my university.

Work Experience: 33 months | Worked at my family's struggling construction company after graduating in 2017. For first two years, I worked as Operations Manager, and undertook multiple initiatives primarily focused on employee welfare. In 2019, I was promoted to the position of Director where I undertook company-level reforms in financial management practices of the firm. I have amassed incredible amount of real life experience in the construction sector. However, had it not been for lending a helping hand to my family's construction business, I wanted to pursue a career in finance. Now, that the business is doing relatively better, I want to go back to pursue my passion for finance. Hence, I want to get an MSF degree before starting my career as an analyst and move my way up.

Please suggest me a few schools that I should target in the US and the UK. Any word from your side will be invaluable to me. Thanks so much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
souvik101990

It was a great session! Thank you! Looking forward to more sessions like this.

Could you please review my profile?

Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian, male, will be 30 years old, this July.
· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Visvesvaraya Technological University, (India), Bachelor's in Electrical and Electronics engineering, GPA : 3
· GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown): 730 (Q49, VA 45 )
.Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- Started with IBM as an IT analyst and moved to Deloitte as an IT consultant. Was an individual contributor, and received a 'stellar performer of the year' award. Planned three
different platforms to address client issues. Worked with the development teams to outline a ticketing tool, curated for my team needs.
- Joined British Telecommunications as a network engineer, and later got promoted as a manager - workforce management consulting ( Individual contributor) . Designed a sharepoint
site for global clients to analyse their project data. Brainstormed different versions to come up with something closer to their operational goals. Received 4 quarterly awards for
process improvement, and 5 (senior) client recommendations. Massively improved operational performances for 3 different projects which was performing pathetically poor, leveraging
the benefits of the dashboard I designed. I have also been involved with several business transformational projects.

- Have a brief ( failed) entrepreneurship journey after bachelor's. I brought together a team from few of the best IITs to build a product, however, failed to gain clients. Learnt a lot from the experience.

IBM : January 2014 – August 2015
Deloitte : September 2015 – December 2016
British Telecom : December 2016 – Present.

· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- School :
- Was the cultural captain : Was responsible to host cultural events and collaborate with other schools on cultural fests. Received 4 gold medals in school level athletics.
-Was the captain of the school's cricket team, for two years. (captaincy rotated every two years.

- Undergraduate:

o Founded the college's first heavy metal band
o Started the college's first Music club with a separate brick and mortar house.
o Received several gold/silver medals for different inter-college sports/game/music competitions.
o Founded a poetry club.

- Post college : Won a state level powerlifitng championship and ranked in a national level powerlifting championship

. Post-MBA goals: I want to get into management consulting or finance.

Target : Darden, Fuqua, Stern, Tepper, McCombs, Emory, KElley, Anderson

Regards,
theleopride
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi Souvik

Really have been enjoying your Gmat Club Webinars and appreciate you taking the time out for these profile evaluations
My Profile details are as follows

Nationality :Indian
Age 26 in a month
Education: Chartered Accountant(2018)
                 B.Com-(2016) -St Xaviers College,Kolkata- Aggregate of 63%
Gmat Score: Planning to take it in a month.
Toefel :108
Work Experience : Apart from the mandatory internship/articleship(3 years) that one has to go through for completing
                           CA, I have  2.5 years of work experience.
                           (i)9 months at ICICI Bank in their treasury desk (Back-end Analyst job where one had to pre-
                              dominantly vet the deals executed by the front end desk)
                           (ii)The remaining time (before and after the ICICI Stint) has been spent in my family CA firm,
                                in audit and tax work. My mandatory 3 year full time articleship/internshhip which i plan to show
                               as full time work ex (taking the total to a close 6 years till date) was also in my own family audit
                               and accountancy firm
Post MBA Expectation: To be absolutely frank,I have no absolute aims and goals apart from getting into a
                                 finance/banking/consulting space in a MNC
Target Schools:Indian B Schools: ISB
                      East coast US B Schools: Stern, Cornell,Tepper,Darden,Tuck
                      Singapore B Schools: NUS,Nanyang
Not hell bent on Top 10 schools; would rather get a possible waiver from a Top 20                      

I  also have two specific questions that perhaps you could address :

1) Based on you experience with recruiters ,how much does the Indian Work Ex matter,especially when a chunk of it has been in a family setting(although mine was a professional accountancy firm having an international clientele);Does this work-ex  go against you when you are trying to find jobs /go for interviews.Is there a pre-conceived notion that since most of your pre MBA experience has not been in corporate,you fall behind the competition for a corporate gig- thus making it harder to land a job  ?

2)Will the fact that I spent such a short time at ICICI work against me (while admission or recruiting).I had some personal family issues because of which I had to come back home. I would likely join a bank post the COVID situation;Would such frequent switching work terribly against me . Am i better off just working in my firm for a while,till I get an admit. Or perhaps I should apply after working somewhere else for a year or so?

Would love to hear any other observations that you may have on my profile

Thanks again for taking the time out
Hrushikesh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 430
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Most people are familiar with my story on the forum. The TL;DR version is that I applied to a bunch of schools in 2016, got rejected in most of them, and then turned it around in 2017 and got a lot of admits/interviews and such. I posted my GMAT story HERE and a brief version of my admission and application insights HERE.

Since doing these two posts, I have been getting a lot of PM's about whether the GMAT is enough or whether applying to a certain school makes sense, and honestly, I have not been able to keep up with those PM's.

So this is my attempt to set up shop for my completely non-qualified and anecdotal advice. A place where I will entertain profile evaluation requestions, school strategy and positioning, and some general unadulterated feedback.

Go ahead, and Ask Me Anything!

Edit: I have no aspirations of becoming an admissions consultant. I am playing with the idea of helping others with basic stuff like school selection and resume review, but of course, it will always be free!

UPDATE - May 10, 2019 - After a long sabbatical, I am back! First year at Ross was great and I have some downtime to answer more questions. Throw me those profile evals and school strategy questions!

Hi Souvik,
Thanks for extending the help.
It would be wonderful if you can help me with some insight into my resume and further strategy before my GMAT Exam.

Will be Applying for Fall 2021

Nationality: Indian
Background: Bachelor's in Architecture, National Institute of Technology (H.P, India) (7.75 CGPA)
Masters in Urban and Regional Planning, CEPT University (Ahmedabad, India) (74%)
Awards: GATE Scholarship for Graduate Studies (AIR 151)
Publication: 1 Research paper in International Journal published through Springer Link
Training: Sustainable Land-use Planning (WorldBank) and 3 Trainings on various aspects of programme management and consulting (AIZ),
Experience: 6.5 Years (By 2021)
Areas of Work: # GIZ GmBH (4.5 Years), Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Worked primarily as a Technical Advisor, along with a 15 Member team for management of 12Mn euros Bilateral Grant to Govt. of India for various projects in the space of Smart cities, Housing and Urban Development. Primarily role is to procure, manage and do quality control of technical advisory consignment through consultants in discussion with government partners.
Have managed a disbursement process of funding programme under National Housing Mission for a Tier II city in India. 600 beneciaries benefited during my tenure in the support programme. Fund disbursed during my tenure as technical expert to the city government amounts to 15 Million Euros (16.2 million USD)

# IL&FS(1 Year), Delhi, india
Worked as an Technical Consultant for Urban Development. Worked in roles of technical analyst for Smart City Menagaluru, during the Swiss Challenge of 100 Smart cities. Moreover, worked in advisory unit of Delhi Mumbai industrial Corridor (DMICDC).

# Christopher Charles Benninger Architects (CCBA), Pune
Worked with one of India's leading architects as an Junior Architect in 2 Institutional design projects.

Additional Initiatives: Support and programme management ZERO Waste Initiative during Hockey World Cup 2018. I am working on a advisory to Govt. of India for ZERO Waste events, and I along with my team would be discussing with Indian Olympic Association.

Extracurricular Activities: Convener for Technical Fest at NIT, 2010
Lead Visual Arts student advisor for SRIJAN, student magazine at NIT
Volunteer at Youth Empowerment Seminar, a associate member of International Association for Human Values
Carrom Champion at CEPT University
Won Commendation Award for Sustainable Eco Resort Design, competition by Saint Gobain’2009.
I am Mountaineering or Scrambling enthusiast and have climbed on Dhauladhar mountain, Mantalai Lake Trek and Chadar Trek among others.

Post MBA career Goal: Would like to excel in "finance and portfolio management roles" at large Housing and Infrastructure financing / Banking institutes, or be a part of portfolio management at Multilateral Aid agencies such as World Bank, USAID, IMF, or BMGF. Currently, I have apt amount of consulting and part financial management career and now I would like to explore the financing side of the story. And would like to start my journey into the world of Investment Banking.

Expected GMAT Score: 700 - 730 (I would be Appearing for GMAT in June 2020)

Schools I am targeting are,
1. University of North Carolina: Kenan-Flager
2. University of Florida: Warrington
3. University of Texas: McCombs
4. Washington University: Olin
5. University of Washington: Foster
6. Indiana University: Kelly

Looking forward to your additional recommendations, if any.

Thanking You,
Regards,
Adi

Originally posted by Adi88 on 30 Apr 2020, 11:21.
Last edited by Adi88 on 02 May 2020, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Souvik,

I would appreciate if you can provide feedback on the profile. Thanks :)

· Demographics (nationality, gender):
- Indian
- Male (turned 27 in January '20)

· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed):
- B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (popularly known as IIT Delhi - Among Top 2 Engineering schools in India)
- Graduated in May 2016
- CGPA - 8.1/10 (Major - Textile Engineering, class rank among top 10% but it's not mentioned on transcript)

· GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown):
- Aiming for 780+ but expecting atleast 750+, not sure about the breakdown but hopefully will do well in quant
- Haven't taken any mocks recently (preparation is still underway) but took one in my undergrad (had 710), can go for GRE as well (not sure which one is preferred)

. Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- Designation: Senior Manager at analytics consulting firm based out of Gurgaon, India (have been pretty unlucky with H1B lottery for last 3 times)
- Current Employer: EXL Analytics, multinational company headquartered in NYC with 1 billion USD yearly revenue (wouldn't consider as recognized as BCG, Bain, etc. but probably Tier 2)
- Work Experience: have been working with the same company for about 4 years now right after my undergrad
- Promotions: Total 3 promotions in ~4 years (2 fast track promotions in first 2 years of working with the company)
- Special Accomplishments - not sure if this carries much weight here (Best Innovator Award and Best Employee award)
- International Exposure - No long time international work experience but have client meetings exposure (been on business trips to US few times)
- Industry - Analytics/Data Science consulting in Banking and Finance
- Actual Work - currently leading a team of 5 consultants all graduated from top schools in India, worked on numerous data science/analytics projects for top US banks (Credit Card Risk & Fraud Mitigation)

. Potential Recommendations -
(IMO nothing great from alumini perspective)
- VP at EXL (IIM - top B school in India) - strong
- SAVP at EXL (The Mays Business School at Texas A&M University) - strong
- Director at top US Bank (past client) (George Washington University School of Business) - strong
- SVP at top US Bank (past client) (MS from Carnegie Mellon University) - strong

· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- During school time, I founded a tech forum/community with about 1Lakh members and had Alexa traffic rank of ~70,000 in 2008. Had to shut down due later due to higher studies
- Did a lot of freelancing work (Web apps/coding) during 5th - 10th grade while in School
- I enjoy working on mobile app development, worked on a startup idea recently but later decided to drop it
- I had decent extracurrics during my undergrad - part of organizing committee (very competitive in college), leading a team of about 40 odd people, for one of India's biggest college festival (Rendezvous, 2nd to Mood Indigo) , affiliations with extracurricular clubs (part of Music club and organized various events ) during undergrad
- Never tried for any certification but I play both Guitar and Piano

. Post-MBA goals: want to start with a product role in a tech company (Google/FB/Amazon/etc.), however in long term would want to get in a leadership role in either a tech company or in a bank (leading analytics efforts)
· Target schools:
- Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Sloan, Chicago Booth
- Thinking of giving GMAT by July '20 if covid situation is stable and applying in R1, however could wait an extra year if my profile has better chance at top B Schools next year

· Other information relevant to your profile: I have always been very passionate about things especially during my school days and had decent source of income back then from my freelancing work for international people. I would rate my college time a little dull in terms of big accomplishments but have learned a lot emotionally during undergrad. I have also learnt a lot of people skills over the years.
Even though I have some idea that my profile isn't upto mark with what's required to make it to Top 5 US B Schools, I would want your opinions as to how I can improve. I have seen people from my undergrad making to Harvard/Wharton but those always have had either better GPA or/and more recognized work experience in terms of employer's reputation (read consulting). Anyway, thank you for looking at my profile and for your suggestions :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello Souvik,

Thanks for the initiative.
Would love if you could help me out with profile evaluation for MBA for admission in 2021 in top 15 MBA colleges in Europe and US.

Age at the time of admission: 24 years

GMAT Score: 750 (Q49, V41)

Educational Qualifications:

Graduation: B.Tech in Electronics and Communication, DTU (Formerly DCE) - 75.45% (8.29 CGPA with college’s conversion formula)
Class 12: 95.8%
Class 10: 10.0/10.0

Work Experience: 3 years (at the time of admission) - currently -> 2 years

Worked as a Business Analyst for UnitedHealth Group (US Fortune 6 Healthcare organisation) for Marketing Analytics team. Performance measurement until now includes , consecutive thrice over-driver ratings, 2 promotions in 1 year, 2 organizational awards.

Extra curricular activities:
Vice-Chairperson, IEEE DTU - lead a team of more than 200 members through year long organizational and event work.
Have decent exposure to Volunteer work.
Other society activities in college.
Other hobbies and activities include Golf, Music.

Other academic activities include published research papers in Electronics and Communication Engg.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

PS: Have an ISB EEO admit for ‘21

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 326
Send PM
Hi Souvik,
You have already briefly evaluated my profile during YouTube webinar, but could you please give me more feedback about potential business schools.

About myself: female, Russian, 34 years old
GPA: 3.5 / 4
Educational experience: Master degree in Accountancy (Russian University)
Work experience: 11 years in Finance (Treasury and Risks in International companies)
Aim: only full-ride day-time program in USA
Sphere: Entrepreneurship

Please advise me on the below points:
1. Could it be any concerns from schools about the age?
2. If I get 700 on GMAT for what schools it would be sufficient for full ride?
3. What schools would be best options in my case in USA?
4. What general advice would you like to give on my profile?
Thank you very much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Demographics

Female, 25 yo, South Asian
GPA from Ivy League: 3.75 / 4
GMAT: have not taken yet on new format
Educational experience: Bachelor of Arts, Economics Major
Work experience: 2 years in quant trading at BB, only female only floor. Left after 2 years to pursue arts, credits include editorial modeling and lead on West End musical production.
Aim: Columbia ED, looking at Stern as well.
Post MBA goals: consulting / marketing (combine business with creative)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Love the youtube videos! I am getting ready to work on apps for R1 this upcoming fall and am currently solidifying my goals/visions for my future.

Demographics: US citizen, white male
GMAT: 750 (49,42,7,6)
Undergrad: 3.78 GPA at a top 20 US college (double major Econ + Sport Management)
Division 1 varsity athletics
Work (yrs): ~3 years at time of application, ~4 years at matriculation
Work (description): 1 year at a large-cap energy company as a financial analyst on the business development team. Current role is ~2 years in corporate finance at a mid-cap energy company. Current job responsibilities spill over into investor relations as well due to "smaller" company size and consolidation due to coronavirus.

Extracurriculars: Board member for the athletic department of my undergrad university; volunteer at SPCA (specializing in cats) and assisting with fundraising for special events; Alumni interviewer for undergrad school; Sports is still a big part of my life.

Goals: Still trying to figure this out, but I am very interested in a transition into a role that deals with consumer analytics. I don't know if targeting a CPG type role (would be a great base and provide wonderful training for my interests) is too far from my finance/energy background, but that is a big interest of mine and would be ideal. Also interested in the sports industry. I enjoyed a sports marketing internship I did while completing my undergrad, but that was a few years back. I do not want to stay in the energy sector, and desire to work in a sector that I am more passionate about (such as consumer products, sports, or retail). Long term goal would be to head up a business unit of a major product or product-line for a large multinational corporation.

Target Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, Columbia, Ross, Fuqua

Recs: One will be from my current supervisor (Director level) and one will be from a coworker from my previous job (senior analyst).

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts on my candidacy.

Best,
Zack1317
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Zack1317 wrote:
Love the youtube videos! I am getting ready to work on apps for R1 this upcoming fall and am currently solidifying my goals/visions for my future.

Demographics: US citizen, white male
GMAT: 750 (49,42,7,6)
Undergrad: 3.78 GPA at a top 20 US college (double major Econ + Sport Management)
Division 1 varsity athletics
Work (yrs): ~3 years at time of application, ~4 years at matriculation
Work (description): 1 year at a large-cap energy company as a financial analyst on the business development team. Current role is ~2 years in corporate finance at a mid-cap energy company. Current job responsibilities spill over into investor relations as well due to "smaller" company size and consolidation due to coronavirus.

Extracurriculars: Board member for the athletic department of my undergrad university; volunteer at SPCA (specializing in cats) and assisting with fundraising for special events; Alumni interviewer for undergrad school; Sports is still a big part of my life.

Goals: Still trying to figure this out, but I am very interested in a transition into a role that deals with consumer analytics. I don't know if targeting a CPG type role (would be a great base and provide wonderful training for my interests) is too far from my finance/energy background, but that is a big interest of mine and would be ideal. Also interested in the sports industry. I enjoyed a sports marketing internship I did while completing my undergrad, but that was a few years back. I do not want to stay in the energy sector, and desire to work in a sector that I am more passionate about (such as consumer products, sports, or retail). Long term goal would be to head up a business unit of a major product or product-line for a large multinational corporation.

Target Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, Columbia, Ross, Fuqua

Recs: One will be from my current supervisor (Director level) and one will be from a coworker from my previous job (senior analyst).

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts on my candidacy.

Best,
Zack1317

Your profile is incredibly strong. With the right execution on your narrative, I’d be surprised if you don’t get into more than half of your target school list. As is, you look like a shoe-in for Fuqua and Ross with plenty of scholarship.

Of the M7 schools, your future goals tie best with Kellogg based on industry, while Sloan is best known for analytics.

The three key items that need to be tightened are:
- the thinking/decision making for industry changes: why’d you choose Energy, why are you now interested in Consumer Products/Retail (since that wasn’t part of your background). Maybe you can frame it as you initially wanted to join an industry that was very quantitative and strategic (which Energy is), but then you gravitated towards projects or solutions that were more consumer-centric (and have reasons for why on all those decisions)
- the industry or customer you want: you mentioned 3. I could see two paths here. (1) anything B2C, which could be brand management at CPG, product Strategy/marketing at a tech company, General management for Fortune 500 B2C, etc. (2) mix of your industry goals such as general management/strategy for anything sports/health related like Nike, UnderArmour, FitBit, DraftKings. You’ll have to stick to one goal/path for your story. Inconsistency will make adcom think you could easily get lost when recruiting.
- leadership skills: because you’re on the younger side professionally, you definitely want someone to speak in detail to that in your recommendations

Hope this helps!

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Souvik,

I have seen your great work across the gmatclub forum and am really thankful for clearing most of my doubts. But one thing I want to check with you is how good will be an MBA from the US, if someone wants to switch to FInance( Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Non-investment banking roles) from IT.
I have around 6 yrs of experience in IT with Accenture.
I have worked in an NGO for 3 yrs along with the job.
Scored 700 in my first attempt but will retake GMAT in next couple of months.

Thank You!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Nice work on the youtube channel! Would love to hear your opinion on my profile.

Background: Male, Australian (naturalised citizen); Ethnicity: Indian; Age 30

Academics:
700 GMAT
Masters with equivalent of 3.7/4.0 GPA in Business Information Technology at a leading Australian University and a Bachelors in Technology from an Indian University

Work: ~ 8 years
Work experience spans across US (past 1.5 years), Australia (5 years) and India (~1 year)
Currently working in sales at a Life science technology firm in the US West Coast in a mid-senior level role

Extra-curricular:
Worked at an animal shelter NGO in Sydney
Captain of soccer team in school

Goal: To work as a product manager at a top life science/technology firm and eventually move to a leadership role with a focus on strategy. My work experience is in roles across technology, project management and sales and a product management role post MBA will help me bring all of these together and setup for the longer term leadership role.
Eventually planning to move back to Australia.

Business Schools: Focusing on part time (weekend) programs in the following order: Haas (close proximity to current location), Booth (preferred school but will have to see if the travel makes sense) and Stern (in case I want to move to East Coast).

Questions:
1. Based on my profile, do these schools seem achievable? (I have time to write the GMAT again but happy to avoid if I can :)
2. I can go full time if I get into Harvard, Wharton or Stanford. Is that even plausible considering my profile?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi shahid,
You can pursue one year MBA from top IIMs/ISB and switch to tech. consulting/strategy roles post MBA. IT companies have lots of clients in the manufacturing/ oil & gas industry and value hands-on experience in those areas.

For more information regarding MBA and career switch from PSU to Private sector check the free resources at https://psutoprivate.com/.
All the best!

Team PSUtoPrivate
(Exclusive career counselling platform for Govt/PSU professionals )

https://psutoprivate.com | https://www.linkedin.com/company/psutoprivate | https://www.facebook.com/Psutoprivate-104553174573802/

shahidsuhaeyeeb wrote:
Hi Souvik,
Thanks in advance for my profile evaluation.
Male, Indian, 34years,
B.E. (Mechanical Engineering) Osmania University, 3.9GPA
GMAT(710)
Expected profile post MBA :tech/strategy/product based roles
Looking for pointers towards colleges in Europe, canada, India
WORK EXPERIENCE(10+ years) :
2 Year 9 Months at Infosys Limited as a system engineer(Banking and capital markets division) for development and maintenance of Banking firm program.
8 years 2 months at BHEL(PSU) as a Field Engineer (Executive Grade-2)
Projec execution incharge for more than 30 projects across India including overseas experience at Oman, Muscat.
Certified vibration analyst from Mobius institute (Australia)
Completed north east Greenfield socioeconomic project BCPL, reviewed directly by Ministry.
Best executive award,
customer appreciation letters for site execution from BPCL-kochi refinery, ORPIC refinery-oman, etc.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GRE 1: Q165 V156
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Indian Male

Btech:- 70% ( Top 20% percentile of my class)
OFFICIAL GMAT PREP MOCK 1:- 770 Q51 V44
Giving GMAT in JULY 2020

target colleges:-
1) TEPPER

2) McCOMBS

3) KENAN FLAGLER

4) EMORY

5) KELLEY
Professional details and achievements

It will be rusty for sure but will try to keep to the point:-

1) worked as systems engineer for 1 year in Infosys on a project of AT&T
2) right now working in a major Public sector bank in India for 4yrs as manager.
3) I handle my branches' foreign exchange department of over 500cr
4) this last FY 19-20 I with my team was able to increase the forex turnover by 50cr. Only branch in mumbai to have increased the turnover
5) I with my team steered my branch in attaining first place in India for multicurrency travel cards. We issued cards with worth over 2lakh USD
6) I was head of my colleges national tech fest in which atleast 50 colleges participated
7) we won first prize in tech fest of many colleges in robot competition.
8) I have helped in furthering financial inclusion in my village. As people came to know that I am in bank they were more happy to keep in touch with me and open account in a bank.
9) in my village there are many vendors whom I have helped in doing their txn via digital banking. Which in turn have resulted in increasing their profit about 4-5 times
10) I have also taught students in my village for 4 months

I want to SWITCH to CONSULTING domain post my MBA

if anyone can help me if above colleges are possible seeing my profile and if I am able to replicate my GMAT mock performance (above 750). it will be really helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7