Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [27]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [9]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [5]
Given Kudos: 453
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [1]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Autonomous mode is a new driving aid likely to be available in [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinjaTwo, gmat1393, GMATNinja, nightblade354

Please provide your insights on this one. I can't understand why B is the correct answer.

The current stats are concerned about accidents caused because of Texting while driving. So, it does not support the case for autonomous cars, which are safer when the driver focuses solely on driving, in any way.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5742 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmat1393, what is the source of this question?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Would anyone explain why b is correct elaborately?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
nightblade354,

E-gmat is the source.
B is the OA. But I can also make a case in which A can be the answer. What do u think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
BoundMan wrote:
nightblade354,

E-gmat is the source.
B is the OA. But I can also make a case in which A can be the answer. What do u think?

A. A major reduction in total number of accidents is likely to happen when autonomous driving is implemented in some cars.

Some= 1 to 100
A says that Automode in some cars can make significant reduction. If we assume that Automode is implemented in 2 cars,then we can not say,it will make significant reduction. What if Automode is implemented in 70 cars, then we can say, it will make significant reduction.

Option A creates ambiguity by offering two situations. That's why A is incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
What does option E is trying to convene here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
gmat1393 wrote:
Autonomous mode is a new driving aid likely to be available in modern cars, a mode that will make the car drive itself.Cars equipped with autonomous mode are expected to be safer when driving a car focuses solely on driving and does not check emails. or change music playlists, or send text messages.Currently, texting while driving - a federal offense - is responsible for 40% of all the road accidents.

Which of the following would the author least likely disagree with?

A. A major reduction in total number of accidents is likely to happen when autonomous driving is implemented in some cars.
B. The current stats for road accidents support the case for autonomous driving.
C. Texting while driving will cease to be federal offence when autonomous driving is launched.
D. Making texting while driving a federal offence has not been successful in reducing the number of road accidents.
E. A car driving in autonomous mode will have lower incidence rate if auto accidents than a car driven by a responsible driver.

I cannot know what the author believes, I can only guess.

If we treat this question as an inference question, we could say that the answer is "B" because it is supported by the facts. But is it an inference question? The question is: "Which of the following would the author least likely disagree with?" As a matter of fact, any person could agree or disagree with any of the answer choices. So, how can we know what would the author disagree with?

A: I agree with this claim, but I do not know whether the author agrees with it.
B: I agree with this claim, but I do not know whether the author agrees with it.
C: I do not agree with this claim, but I do not know whether the author agrees with it.
D: I agree with this claim, but I do not know whether the author agrees with it.
E: B: I agree with this claim, but I do not know whether the author agrees with it.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATNinja can you comment on the quality of this question?

Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sajjad1994 wrote:

Thank you

Writing high quality questions is really, really hard (verbal questions in particular), and even the very best test-prep minds can't possibly compete with GMAC, which spends a few thousand dollars developing every official question.

The bottom line is that official GMAT questions will always be better than unofficial questions, no matter who wrote them -- especially on verbal. :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
GMATNinja wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:

Thank you

Writing high quality questions is really, really hard (verbal questions in particular), and even the very best test-prep minds can't possibly compete with GMAC, which spends a few thousand dollars developing every official question.

The bottom line is that official GMAT questions will always be better than unofficial questions, no matter who wrote them -- especially on verbal. :)

Not the case if I write one of those :D ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
gmat1393 wrote:
Autonomous mode is a new driving aid likely to be available in modern cars, a mode that will make the car drive itself. Cars equipped with autonomous mode are expected to be safer when driving a car that focuses solely on driving and does not check emails. or change music playlists, or send text messages. Currently, texting while driving - a federal offense - is responsible for 40% of all road accidents.

Which of the following would the author least likely disagree with?

A. A major reduction in the total number of accidents is likely to happen when autonomous driving is implemented in some cars.
We have no data supporting the fact that implementation of automotive driving will reduce aciidents especially in some cars since these cars may or may not be the causes of major accidents therefore out

B. The current stats for road accidents support the case for autonomous driving.
Yes exactly what we were looking for therefore let us hang on to it

C. Texting while driving will cease to be a federal offense when autonomous driving is launched.
It may or may not exist we are not in a position to determine

D. Making texting while driving a federal offense has not been successful in reducing the number of road accidents.
We don't have the data before and after the crash therefore we cannot comment on the same therefore out

E. A car driving in autonomous mode will have a lower incidence rate of auto accidents than a car driven by a responsible driver.
How the responsible driver acts is not stated in the passage therefore we cannot take a decision

Therefore IMO B

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts