Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 15:23 It is currently 14 May 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Banker: My country's laws require every bank to invest in its local co [#permalink]
AndrewN

I interpreted (D) as this:

D. It overlooks the possibility that even if there is a strong correlation between two phenomena (phenomenon 1: physical banking, phenomenon 2: online banking), neither of those phenomena are necessarily causally responsible for the other.

Author concludes:
physical banking -> revitalize impoverished local communities.
online banking -> not revitalize impoverished local communities

Can't we say that phenomenon 1 (physical banking) and phenomenon 2 (online banking) are not casually responsible for the other?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Banker: My country's laws require every bank to invest in its local co [#permalink]
AndrewN

Thanks for your reply.

I wonder, when you read choice (D) for the first time, how did you interpret those two phenomena? Something like the way interpreted? (phenomenon 1: physical banking, phenomenon 2: online banking)

Similarly, when you read choice (C), how did you interpret "condition, cause, effect"?

I am asking about these two choices because these words (phenomena in D & condition, cause, effect in C) are hard to map into passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
Re: Banker: My country's laws require every bank to invest in its local co [#permalink]
The banker's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the following ground:

E. It fails to adequately address the possibility that an increase in the number of banks of one kind in the banker's country will not lead to the complete elimination of banks of another kind.

The banker assumes that the increasing number of internet-based banks, which are not physically located in any specific community, will completely replace the traditional banks that operate within local communities. However, this assumption may not hold true. It is possible for both types of banks to coexist, with traditional community banks continuing to serve their intended purpose alongside the internet-based banks. The argument overlooks the possibility that the presence of internet-based banks does not necessarily lead to the complete elimination of physically located banks serving local communities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
@GMATNinja, @VeritasKarishma, @MartyTargetTestPrep

Please let me know your thought process to eliminate option D in this question. Also, kindly provide some references for similar official questions in case you have them handy (related to correlation and causation)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63885 [0]
Given Kudos: 1787
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kratosgmat wrote:
Please let me know your thought process to eliminate option D in this question. Also, kindly provide some references for similar official questions in case you have them handy (related to correlation and causation)

The argument concludes that "the law will soon entirely cease to serve its intended purpose." Why? Because an increasing number of banks are not physically located in any specific community. As a result, the law which requires banks to invest in their local community may not apply to them. According to the argument, this will "entirely" prevent the law from serving its purpose of revitalizing "impoverished local communities."

Let's now consider (D):

Quote:
The banker's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which of the following grounds?

D. It overlooks the possibility that even if there is a strong correlation between two phenomena, neither of those phenomena are necessarily causally responsible for the other.

Does the argument make this particular error? To determine this, let's see how the answer choice might map to the argument.

In theory, what correlation might (D) be referring to? It's hard to say. The argument suggests that a trend (the increasing number of online-only banks) will have a certain effect (the law will "entirely" cease to serve its purpose). But that isn't a correlation so much as a proposed cause-and-effect.

Going through the rest of the argument, it's hard to find any correlation discussed. In theory, a correlation would be an observation that a certain phenomenon tends to occur along with another phenomenon. For instance, you might cite data that people who eat ice cream are on average better at surfing than people who don't. Could we conclude from this that ice cream causes people to be better at surfing? Definitely not. It might be that people who live near the ocean tend to eat a lot of ice cream and be good at surfing. The two phenomena are correlated, but one doesn't cause the other.

Going back to the argument, no observations of correlated phenomena are cited. So it's hard to see how the argument overlooks the possibility that a that correlation is not actually a causation.

For that reason, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB '24
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
The banker's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the ground stated in option E:

E. It fails to adequately address the possibility that an increase in the number of banks of one kind in the banker's country will not lead to the complete elimination of banks of another kind.

The banker argues that the community lending laws will soon "entirely cease to serve its intended purpose" because an increasing number of banks exist solely online and are not physically located in any specific community.

However, this argument fails to consider the possibility that even as online-only banks increase, traditional brick-and-mortar banks located in physical communities may still exist. The increase in one type of bank does not necessarily mean the complete elimination of the other type.

The other options do not directly address the vulnerability in the banker's reasoning:

A is about the location of brick-and-mortar banks, which is not the focus of the criticism.
B assumes that laws only serve one purpose, which is not relevant to the criticism.
C is about causation, which is not the issue with the banker's argument.
D is about correlation and causation, which is also not the issue with the banker's argument.

Therefore, option E correctly identifies the key vulnerability in the banker's argument by pointing out that the increase in one type of bank does not necessarily lead to the complete elimination of the other type.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts