Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 08:27 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 08:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 649 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
GPA: 3.1
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Beginning to study for GMAT. Suggested route [#permalink]
Hi

I have posted this before, I would suggest you check your local library or the branches your library is connected to. At my library, you can rent ALL of the MGMAT guides.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
GPA: 3.1
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Which library is this, menacel? And you say rent, so do you have to pay to borrow them?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
any public library should allow you to search for it and the other branches connected to your library.

My university was connected to two schools that allowed me to borrow the manhattan books and also my public library in my hometown let me do the same.

Public libraries are free as long as you are a resident of the county the library is located in. I've heard some libraries charge like a $2 fee to get it from a library outside of the branch it's connected to.

Just hit up your local library and ask about it
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys thanks for all the suggestions. The local library is worth checking out. I do have a additional perhaps a basic question. Before I crack open Kaplan or any other GMAT study guide. Should I first take a diagnostic test? is the one included in the Kaplan premier a sufficient diagnostic test?

I began reading Kaplan premier to get a feel at least how the GMAT exam is setup. But I have not taken any test as of yet.
Once again thanks to everyone for their responses.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBASEEKER1 wrote:
Guys thanks for all the suggestions. The local library is worth checking out. I do have a additional perhaps a basic question. Before I crack open Kaplan or any other GMAT study guide. Should I first take a diagnostic test? is the one included in the Kaplan premier a sufficient diagnostic test?

I began reading Kaplan premier to get a feel at least how the GMAT exam is setup. But I have not taken any test as of yet.
Once again thanks to everyone for their responses.

100% yes, I would say take the GMAT PREP one because it's comprised of only old official questions (from the test makers) and it can accurately gauge what you would have scored in previous years.

I have no experience with Kaplan so someone else will have to speak to that. If it's a paper test, then you're better off with the GMATPREP.

However, I highly highly suggest you take the GMAT PREP test...you may be thinking...I only have two tests, I don't want to waste one...well that's a yes and no answer. It's a computer adaptive test, so MORE THAN LIKELY you will not see the same questions unless you have not improved since the last exam session (this was the case for me, I was taking the exam 2 or 3 times in a row and saw some of the same questions). The process goes, if you get a question right, you will get a harder question. If you get a question wrong, you will get an easier question. and this is by GMAT standards...and the level of difficulty determined by them is how many people missed that question. So the hard questions may be easy to you

So in your scenario now, you are more likely to take an exam now...study for some weeks to some months and your level should have sky rocketed from your first test. Thus, your questions will come from a COMPLETELY different pool.

TL;DR take the GMAT PREP exam as a diagnostic
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Where do I get the GMAT PREP test from?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ah, here: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx

there's also information on the new GMAT test being released in summer 2012
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
I have been a huge fan of the MGMAT books they do a really good job of breaking everything down. Totally worth the investment so long as you are willing to put in the time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I downloaded the practice test software from by GMAC. I am embarrassed by my results but I have a goal of scoring 700 and above. So here are my scores.

QUANT 13
VERBAL 20
TOTAL 330

Originally I wanted to test in January but I now see that I need to delay and plan to test in March. I hope to make be able to apply in the 3rd round for Darden Business school at UVA, which is the most competitive round of all. I have the Kaplan Premier book and I also ordered Foundations of GMAT Math (Instructional Guide) by Manhattan GMAT.

Please Help.
GMAT Club Bot