Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: best way to prepare in 2-3 weeks? (750~ score) [#permalink]
Hi Somnium7,

Welcome to GMATClub! OG problems are rather easy, while getting 700+ is not that simple.
If you need a study plan, you can start here:

GMAT Study plan
All you need for quant

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
750+ is quite challenging for 2-3 weak preparation. Your V score is not as good as Q, which is quite in consideration especially if you are non-native.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
best way to prepare in 2-3 weeks? (750~ score) [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
Hi Somnium7,

Welcome to GMATClub! OG problems are rather easy, while getting 700+ is not that simple.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help!
Would you please be so kind as to recommend more focused or specific resources? cause I've gone through all those links, and there's lots of references to various resources and books(for quant alone there are Math Revolution, Economist, Magoosh, e-GMAT, Target Test Prep, EMPOWERgmat, and examPAL.....), all of which is of course impossible to cover and wouldn't be as effective in any case.
Would you recommend taking a course in Magoosh for example? for both verbal and quant. Is it enough for preparing for 700+ ?

thanks again : )

Originally posted by Somnium on 31 May 2018, 09:31.
Last edited by Somnium on 31 May 2018, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haobv wrote:
750+ is quite challenging for 2-3 weak preparation. Your V score is not as good as Q, which is quite in consideration especially if you are non-native.

I realize that, it's not going to be trivial at all. However I want to fully immerse myself in it, take the necessary days off work of course, and just study non-stop. I just need to know what and where to study.
Also, despite the horrible V score on the mock test, I am actually positive I can do MUCH better. In fact, I'm a bit surprised with that score on the mock test, because I haven't had any mistakes while going through all the Verbal sections on the OG.
Overall, as I said in the beginning, I think I just need to determine the right resources from which to study, because right now I'm really confused and don't know what course/book to study next, the variety is huge.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1992 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Somnium7 wrote:
Hello,
I have decided to apply to one of the top mba schools(LBS,INSEAD,Columbia,Harvard) and therefore started studying for the gmat a couple of weeks ago. Obviously for that I'm going to need a very high score(~750).
I'm 25, work as a developer (few years of exp.), just finishing a degree in Computer Science(I have completed the degree while working full-time as a developer)

I went through the whole OG during the last couple of weeks, and had a feeling it should a piece of cake, both in verbal and in math. Yesterday I took a GMATPrep test, to assess how prepared I am :
I was a bit shocked to see the score 570 (Q 41, V 27) on the screen, especially since I had a higher accuracy percentage while going through the OG, and since I never had any problems with math/English grammar etc.
I am planning on taking the real test in 2 weeks(max 3), and was hoping to get some advice here, especially regarding resources/material for both quant and verbal. There just seems to be a HUGE variety of books and other resources, and unfortunately I don't know which ones would be most efficient(time-wise, and of course something that would reflect as much as possible the types and the level of questions asked on the real test)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you

Hi
Scoring a 750 within 2-3 weeks is difficult since your Gmat prep is 570 at this moment. You need to improve in both Quant and Verbal. I would suggest to refer to the Mgmat guides for study. They are comprehensive and cover the entire syllabus of the Gmat. Alternatively you can go for an online course. Refer to the course reviews on Gmat club and you can get a feel of the courses. Also, take a free trial before zeroing in on any course in order to feel comfortable with their method of teaching. Finally I feel in order to reach a 750 atleast 3 months is required, though it depends from person to person.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Somnium wrote:
haobv wrote:

I realize that, it's not going to be trivial at all. However I want to fully immerse myself in it, take the necessary days off work of course, and just study non-stop. I just need to know what and where to study.
Also, despite the horrible V score on the mock test, I am actually positive I can do MUCH better. In fact, I'm a bit surprised with that score on the mock test, because I haven't had any mistakes while going through all the Verbal sections on the OG.
Overall, as I said in the beginning, I think I just need to determine the right resources from which to study, because right now I'm really confused and don't know what course/book to study next, the variety is huge.

О sanc-ta simplicitas! (latin) :angel:

I would not like to upset you, but this is an unreal task given that your current GMAT level is very low. If you are non-native speaker, you should think of 750 as one year of rigor preparation. I don't doubt your intellectual level but we all have to be down to earth. 750 score means tha you are going to be better than 98% of other people, who have taken GMAT for last 5 years?

Just read success stories of the gmatclub folks to understand that even very smart people with great background earn it with "blood, sweat, and tears". Good luck to you anyways!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hero8888 wrote:
Somnium wrote:
haobv wrote:

О sanc-ta simplicitas! (latin) :angel:

I would not like to upset you, but this is an unreal task given that your current GMAT level is very low. If you are non-native speaker, you should think of 750 as one year of rigor preparation. I don't doubt your intellectual level but we all have to be down to earth. 750 score means tha you are going to be better than 98% of other people, who have taken GMAT for last 5 years?

Just read success stories of the gmatclub folks to understand that even very smart people with great background earn it with "blood, sweat, and tears". Good luck to you anyways!

I know that I have somewhat.. ambitious goals ;)
but right now I'm actually reviewing my mistakes for quant, and most of them are simply "silly" mistakes (BTW : there's a mistake in the test. I answered the right answer, and yet it marked it as incorrect. I even found the same question here : ../the-sum-of-the-integers-in-list-s-is-the-same-as-the-sum-of-127755.html. The test marks A as correct, even though it's actually E).
Regarding Verbal.. well, I'm hopeful I could find some resources that could teach all the different nuances/tricks/etc, and that I'd be able to pick them up properly in this short amount of time. That's in fact why I'm here, to ask for an advice for such resources, so I won't be wasting time on the wrong ones..

Now obviously if I'm aiming towards 750, it doesn't mean I will get there(as you said, many smarter people than me had tried and yet failed) but, maybe(with hard work and luck) if I could get past the 700 mark, I could at least be a competitive candidate at insead/LBS, as Harvard/Columbia, to my understanding, would most likely be out of reach in that case.
Anyways, I'll try. I'll do my best.

Do you know how is Magoosh for verbal/quant? they have a discount that's ending tomorrow. Would you recommend taking that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Somnium wrote:
I know that I have somewhat.. ambitious goals ;)
but right now I'm actually reviewing my mistakes for quant, and most of them are simply "silly" mistakes (BTW : there's a mistake in the test. I answered the right answer, and yet it marked it as incorrect. I even found the same question here : ../the-sum-of-the-integers-in-list-s-is-the-same-as-the-sum-of-127755.html. The test marks A as correct, even though it's actually E).
Regarding Verbal.. well, I'm hopeful I could find some resources that could teach all the different nuances/tricks/etc, and that I'd be able to pick them up properly in this short amount of time. That's in fact why I'm here, to ask for such resources, so I won't be wasting time on the wrong ones..

Now obviously if I'm aiming towards 750, it doesn't mean I will get there(as you said, many smarter people than me had tried and yet failed) but, maybe(with hard work and luck) if I could get past the 700 mark, I could at least be a competitive candidate at insead/LBS, as Harvard/Columbia, to my understanding, would most likely be out of reach in that case.
Anyways, I'll try. I'll do my best.

Do you know how is Magoosh for verbal/quant? they have a discount that's ending tomorrow. Would you recommend taking that?

Magoosh is fine, Egmat is fine, MGMAT is fine too. Yet there are some physical rules of the universe that we can not fight with. Just calm down, prepare a normal study plan and go ahead. The further you get the harder you will earn extra 1 score. 450 to 550 - 2 month, 550-650 - 2 months, 650-670- anther 2 months, 670-690- another 2 months, each 10 score - extra 1 month.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Somnium wrote:
Akela wrote:
Hi Somnium7,

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help!
Would you please be so kind as to recommend more focused or specific resources? cause I've gone through all those links, and there's lots of references to various resources and books(for quant alone there are Math Revolution, Economist, Magoosh, e-GMAT, Target Test Prep, EMPOWERgmat, and examPAL.....), all of which is of course impossible to cover and wouldn't be as effective in any case.
Would you recommend taking a course in Magoosh for example? for both verbal and quant. Is it enough for preparing for 700+ ?

Hi!

Not sure about online course. For self-study, I used PowerPrep CR bible for critical reasoning and MGMAT guides for the rest sections.
I also took all MGMAT online CATs and GMATclub CATs.

I just practiced a lot for verbal and got V42. I used GMATprep question bank (do not try unless you're done with both free official tests):
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmatprep ... 87679.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40372.html

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Akela wrote:
Somnium wrote:
Akela wrote:
Hi Somnium7,

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help!

Hi!

Not sure about online course. For self-study, I used PowerPrep CR bible for critical reasoning and MGMAT guides for the rest sections.
I also took all MGMAT online CATs and GMATclub CATs.

I just practiced a lot for verbal and got V42. I used GMATprep question bank (do not try unless you're done with both free official tests):

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
just one question, have you used only the MGMAT guides when preparing for Quant? (Aside from the CATs of course) has it helped you score above the 80th percentile in Q ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM