Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [34]
Given Kudos: 8
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [5]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
General Discussion
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [2]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92 percent of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
here is the official explanation from Kaplan

Answer E - In this, or any other inference question, you are looking for the answer choice that must be true given the statements in the stimulus. Since it is nearly impossible to pre-phrase the correct answer choice on an inference question, it is best to go directly to the answer choices after you have digested what is stated in the stimulus. This stimulus tells us that, between two time periods, the school system's capacity filled up despite the fact that the college was admitting fewer people for every available spot in the system.

The only answer choice that has to follow from these statements is the last one, Choice (E). It must be true that the average length of time spent by a student in the system increased between these periods. This must be true if the school system was actually filling up despite lower admissions per 100 spots.

Choice (B) might be true, but it is not necessary that it be true. Since the admission rates are given to us in number per 100 available spots in the school, it is not necessary that the number of spots decline in order to have an increasing rate of filled spots.

Similarly, Choice (D) could be true, but again, does not need to be true. One way that average length of enrollment in the system could increase is by having fewer drop-outs. However, (D) does not need to be true – the increase in average length of enrollment could, for example, be due to more students staying for a fifth or sixth year than before.

Choice (C) is out-of-scope. We are given no information about application rates. Choice (A) has no support from the stimulus. Just because this phenomenon occurred for one State at one point in time, it does not mean that it is generally true.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92 percent of [#permalink]
Kudos
It was B vs E when i read it first for reasons below:

B: Could be true but "could" is not a reason strong enough for a conclusion drawing question .

E: Since the argument in question clearly says that from 1967 to 1975- admission was lowered yet the capacity was full- it means that the students from previous yrs stayed longer.
It's as good as saying that a class could have 10 students. It lowered its admission rate to 3 students per annum yet its capacity was full. Implies that old students stayed longer. :idea:

E it is!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM