Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 00:43 It is currently 11 May 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good strategy nc, I think I am going to do the same. It might give me a chance to use the optional for something else.
I worked part-time for a year after I graduated. (Due to slowdown in hi-tech sector).

Do you think I can explain this (in a positive way...not making excuses) to the adcom in the optional ? Or do you think it could be used to highlight some other facet of me that hasn't been explained antywhere else (e.g. what makes me unique, differentiation etc.)

ncprasad wrote:
Yes. You are not required to take TOEFL. But, here's some food for thought.

Eventhough I was eligible for a waiver, I took TOEFL and reported the score because it freed up space on the optional essay which I used to highlight other facets of my candidacy. I followed the same approach for Cornell.

I dont recommend that you do this, but its not a bad approach especiallywhen one of the schools in your portfolio requires TOEFL inspite of your undergrad language of instruction.

For Wharton, I chose not to report the score. In this case, the optional essay is strictly an "extenuating cirsumstance" essay and could not use it for any other purpose anyway.

sperinko wrote:
Confirmation please :

Indian applicants (with language of instruction as English in undergrad) are not required to report TOEFL, right ?

Working on my short essay on a personal challenge now....let's see if I can get the adcom crying and grant me an admit without interview :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
tsaditya wrote:
Strategies to get into business school if you are an Indian in IT

1) Change your nationality
2) Join the Army and fight the rebels in Kashmir.
3) Climb mount everest or atleast lose a limb trying
4) Go do a degree in arts and spend a couple of years in some inconsequential/uncommon job not even remotely connected to IT/Technology/Hi Tech. (This is my preferred advice for all my younger cousins who are planning a career in management)
5) Pray a lot and hope you are going to hit the jackpot

It is a tough road but not impossible. I have met plenty of Indians who worked in IT during this process...a lot more of them than people with background like mine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Take admissions411 country info with a grain of salt. For instance, both me and dosa are in there with country listed as USA. I think a lot of US based Indians are listed under USA. So, the picture you see is just an illusion :)

There are more Indians with interviews than you think.

Also, there are 12 more un-filled interview slots.

svrider wrote:
Hmm...I think we've seen the last wave of invites go out. Anyone with an invite know if any more interview slots are open?
Its interesting that, on ad411, 19 of 21 people in R1 w/o an invite are Indians!

ncp,

I didn't even have to narrow down the search. All I did was to pick "Michigan", "Round1" & "Not Interviewed" - turned up 21. 18 of them are either from Indian or the race is Indian(from UK/USA/Unknown). I know there are many USA-based Indians (and I am one) but even those list themselves as Indian. Still I agree there could be a few under "USA" and "unknown" for race. Anyways, we can all pick flaws in statistics and sample sizes but ad411/bw are the closest we have to a database.

The closest I get to IT is talking to the helpdesk at work to fix some laptop issues. I can't write code to save my life (well, it's really tough with a gun to your head!). Unfortunately, I am still classified as "Indian IT". And yes, I have asked many an adcom about this perception and they say they can't differentiate by reading an application. :roll:
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
sv, The number of slots went up from 12 to 40+ this morning. I am sure there will be more invites coming out.

Watch your email around 1.30 ish PST. You might get one today :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh yeah- they seemed to have added a whole bunch of them this morning....am sure you guys will get your invites today. Just send me and a PM for good luck! (it worked for us!!!) :D

They do have a lot of phone interviews added - previously they had a lot of in person interviews, which vanished all of a sudden this morning. I think they realized that with such a short window, most people seem to prefer a phone interview and they had to readjust their schedule. Also, they have added some slots of 21st Dec. Since they seem to give you a 8 day window to complete your interview based on all the reports, you guys should hear some great news today...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anyone has any idea about whether Ross holds blind interviews (only wiht the resume) or does the interviewer has access to our complete applications?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe it is blind.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that the only schools that arent blind are the ones where the adcoms do the interviews, such as MIT.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep-- and I heard HBS as well. Maybe it is a Boston thing ;)

riverripper wrote:
I think that the only schools that arent blind are the ones where the adcoms do the interviews, such as MIT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is a blind interview. Mine was done by an adcom, but still she has no idea about my essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm WAY late on this, but adding myself.....

Updated List:

bherronp: Submitted 10/31; interviewed
nervousgmat: Submitted 11/1; interviewed
R.E.D.: Submitted 10/31; interviewed
helg: submitted 11/1; interviewed
clobo: Submitted 11/1; interviewed
robinantony: Submitted ?; interviewed
ncprasad : Submitted 10/14; invited to interview
saurabh357: Submitted 11/1; invited to interview
dosa: Submitted 10/31; invited to interview
Vij101: Submitted 10/31
tsaditya: Submitted 10/30; invited to interview
Anshu: Submitted
gmat_march: Submitted
svrider: Submitted 11/1
skaballet: Submitted 12/1 (via Consortium)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wanted to let you guys know that I got an interview invite today (yea!). There are a bunch of spots for this week so if you haven't gotten an interview invite yet you might get one this week! I wish I could do it in person, but with the late notice I just don't think that is feasible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nc, dosa, et al, Good luck on all your interviews this week. Let us know how things go.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
clobo wrote:
nc, dosa, et al, Good luck on all your interviews this week. Let us know how things go.

nc, so how did it go???
I've been keepin my fingers crossed for ya all day (ok, I am exaggerating a little but I really hope you did well)!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am waiting for his report as well...as I have mine tomorrow.

nervousgmat wrote:
clobo wrote:

nc, so how did it go???
I've been keepin my fingers crossed for ya all day (ok, I am exaggerating a little but I really hope you did well)!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
I am waiting for his report as well...as I have mine tomorrow.

nervousgmat wrote:
clobo wrote:

nc, so how did it go???

Good luck, dosa!
Knowing how much you like Ross, I'm sure you will be able to express your desire to attend very well :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
All the best nc, dosa, nervous etc!! Make us proud, people!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26  ...  104